The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
One man's Orc is another man's Orocuen...

http://www.salon.com/books/laura_mil...rer/index.html

whadd'ya reckon?

I think it's probably quite badly written and I also expect it loses a certain amount in translation, but, supposing we leave lit aesthetix aside, things get rather interesting - both what this bloke has done, and why.

The souped up Barad-Dur sounds great:

"that amazing city of alchemists and poets, mechanics and astronomers, philosophers and physicians, the heart of the only civilization in Middle-earth to bet on rational knowledge and bravely pitch its barely adolescent technology against ancient magic."...

...especially intrigued by those Orcish poets. Or rather, Orocuen, for Orcs aren't a separate race after all, but an allied civilisation with a kool new name. It strikes me as quite a good one, a good ennoblement of the word "Orc" just as "yrch" is an excellent insulting degradation. I wonder if this version's linguistic skills are equally strong elsewhere.

Hobbits are out; Elves are in and the supervillains; Orcs are humanised. I can sort of understand where this is going. Oddly enough the kind of reader who feels uneasy with Tolkienian morality is often the kind who doesn't exactly get hobbits. I know because I am that kind of reader, and I find lots of hobbitry sentimental, mawkish, inappropriately comic, destructive to grandeur of tale &c. I know this is a fundamental misunderstanding, but I can see where this author is coming from. On the other hand Elves make very glamorous villains (as we see in the Silmarillion and most of the world's folk mythology) so they remain distinct, if inverted. Orcs are human to emphasise the (in any case tricky) genocide question.

Has anyone read this? I haven't downloaded it yet; I hope CTolk doesn't annihilate it. If you're reading, Chris, please slacken the frenzied basset hounds; thanks.

I think the reviewer's remarks on fan-fiction seem sensible and even quite encouraging...I suspect she's a closet sampler herself...perhaps even a writer...?

EDIT: have now downloaded; will return to this when have read some Actual Primary Material...

Last edited by Anguirel; 03-29-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Anguirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Why do I recall reading this article somewhere? Was there another thread about it?

It's an interesting idea, but I think that it would have worked better with the Haradrim or Easterings thn orcs. Not all orcs are as wise as Gorbag.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
ach, I've been skimming it and it's a lot worse than my fears (though I quite like the puppet-Faramir, and Aragorn's helplessness in Arwen's hands, as ideas)...perhaps more profitable to discuss the theory than the practice...
Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wait... what?

The idea sounds interesting, what if Eriol only heard the Elvish side of the story, but never that of the Orcs?

However, I'm not sure if I want to read this.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Has anyone read this? I haven't downloaded it yet; I hope CTolk doesn't annihilate it. If you're reading, Chris, please slacken the frenzied basset hounds; thanks.
Er... you do know there's fan-fic out there where one of the hobbits (I forget which) has sex with Treebeard? I'm just saying...
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Er... you do know there's fan-fic out there where one of the hobbits (I forget which) has sex with Treebeard? I'm just saying...
And probably basset hounds too, for that matter.

To me, toying with the point of view of the basic story is an interesting gimmick, but nothing more. It isn't believable for me for Sauron to be "good" in any way, at least by the time of the Third Age. I wonder how he'd explain the mass decapitations of Gondorian soldiers whose heads were tossed over the walls of Minas Tirith during the war, or his imprisoning of Thráin the Dwarf in Dol Guldur, etc.

Last edited by Inziladun; 03-31-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I wonder how he'd explain the mass decapitations of Gondorian soldiers whose heads were tossed over the walls of Minas Tirith during the war, or his imprisoning of Thráin the Dwarf in Dol Guldur, etc.
They just made it all up to make orcs seem cruel, rutheless, ugly, etc! Orcs are really gentle empathetic creatures that are just misunderstood.

As for Thrain, didn't he stay there as an honoured guest on his free will? It's not anyone's fault that he took a strong dose of halucinogen with his drink...