The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
How many people touched the One Ring ?

From its creation to its destruction, a number of people physically touched the One Ring .

I make the discrete number of people who did so 9 ( nine ) . Am I right ?
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Let's see:
1. Sauron
2. Isildur
3. Deagol
4. Smeagol
5. Bilbo
6. Frodo
7. Gandalf
8. Samwise
9. Tom Bombadil

Possibly a tenth, in Rivendell. While Frodo was unconscious, someone placed the ring on a chain. If that someone was Gandalf, then the number is still nine. If it was Elrond, or someone else from his house, then the number is ten.

But I haven't read all the way through in a while, so I may be missing someone.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Would Shelob count if she accidentally touched the Ring whilst binding Frodo with cords ?
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

IF she accidentally touched it, then she would count, in my opinion. She would fit in the same category as the The Mysterious 10th Bearer Of course, there's no way to know whether she touched it or not, or whether or not it would have any effect on her. I suspect her reaction would be similar to that of Tom Bombadil, but there's no way to know for sure. We just don't know enough about her.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly
IF she accidentally touched it, then she would count, in my opinion. She would fit in the same category as the The Mysterious 10th Bearer Of course, there's no way to know whether she touched it or not, or whether or not it would have any effect on her. I suspect her reaction would be similar to that of Tom Bombadil, but there's no way to know for sure. We just don't know enough about her.
Just curious, why do you suspect her reaction would be similar to Tom's? Tom was a good man, Shelob was an evil creature. I know she is ages old, but don't you think her evil ways would affect her differently than Tom's innocent spirit? I think so...
Old 03-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

I think that, like Tom, she was beyond it's influence, though not for the same reasons. Tom was Master of his domain, and within its borders, nothing was master of him. The Ring had nothing to offer him, because he already had all he wanted and knew it. He is contentment.

Shelob was much the opposite, perhaps even a deliberate foil for Tom, of sorts (though I would never second-guess Tolkien's intentions.) Much like Ungoliant with Morgoth, her greed and hunger seemed to surpass Sauron's even at the height of his power. Surely the Ring, alone and seperate from its Master's Hand, could never tempt a creature that was already consumed with temptation. She simply wouldn't notice the difference between the Ring's poison carrots and her own lust.

Also, the Ring itself may well have held back in her presence. Certainly, Sauron had no real influence over Shelob, just a convenient truce. The Ring could certainly not expect to have any more success than that. Even if the Ring managed to take hold of Shelob, it would very likely find itself in the same kind of dark cave as it was with Gollum. Only this time, it's keeper would eat any possible finders before they ever got close enough to touch their hand on them as Bilbo did. There, on the very edge of it's homeland, it would be lost in the dark forever.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
Very good point. What would it benefit the Ring if it became trapped in Shelob's cave for another age?
As fot the "Mysterious 10th person"... I really don't think it could have been Bilbo. He was too scarred by the ring and if he touched it again, I believe he would have been lost to it.
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I thought Gandalf never did actually touch the ring, he used tongs, didn't he? (Or is Peter Jackson playing tricks with my mind?)
Also, it would be physically possible to change the chain on the ring without touching the ring. You could thread the chain through, use a big needle-type object.
(Try this one at home, kids!)
I think everyone with any sense tried to avoid touching the ring, didn't they?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Ahh... it's been a while since I read the Fellowship. I know Gandalf used tongs to remove the ring from Frodo's fireplace, but did he use them to toss it in?
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
[QUOTE=radagastly]I think that, like Tom, she was beyond it's influence, though not for the same reasons. Tom was Master of his domain, and within its borders, nothing was master of him. The Ring had nothing to offer him, because he already had all he wanted and knew it. He is contentment.

Shelob was much the opposite, perhaps even a deliberate foil for Tom, of sorts (though I would never second-guess Tolkien's intentions.) Much like Ungoliant with Morgoth, her greed and hunger seemed to surpass Sauron's even at the height of his power. Surely the Ring, alone and seperate from its Master's Hand, could never tempt a creature that was already consumed with temptation. She simply wouldn't notice the difference between the Ring's poison carrots and her own lust.

Also, the Ring itself may well have held back in her presence. Certainly, Sauron had no real influence over Shelob, just a convenient truce. The Ring could certainly not expect to have any more success than that. Even if the Ring managed to take hold of Shelob, it would very likely find itself in the same kind of dark cave as it was with Gollum. Only this time, it's keeper would eat any possible finders before they ever got close enough to touch their hand on them as Bilbo did. There, on the very edge of it's homeland, it would be lost in the dark forever.[/QUOTE] (my emphasis)

That would have been bad news for poor Gollum after all his hard work in betraying Frodo so that he get the Ring (after Shelob had finished dining on Frodo of course). It never seems to have crossed his mind that She might take his precious.

That said, I agree that Shelob would not have had much use for the Ring. Her agenda seemed to be eating anything that moved, not world domination. Also, (and here I readily admit that I am no expert on arachnid anatomy) but would binding Frodo in cords have brought Shelob into physical contact with the Ring? Especially as the Ring was located on a chain hidden inside Frodo's clothing?
Morwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:05 AM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwen
That would have been bad news for poor Gollum after all his hard work in betraying Frodo so that he get the Ring (after Shelob had finished dining on Frodo of course). It never seems to have crossed his mind that She might take his precious.
He possibly considered her "just a spider" (she had no fingers to put the Ring on, right? What would she do with it?). Gollum probably never heard the story of Morgoth and Ungoliant "The pass is known as Shriekoth, before known as Cirith Ungol, because Gollum shrieked terribly when Shelob attacked him after he didn't want to give her everything. But the Fishes heard him and came to his aid."
But, here is what Gollum thought:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT, Chapter 9: Shelob's Lair
we'll see. It may well be, O yes, it may well be that when She throws away the bones and the empty garments, we shall find it, we shall get it, the Precious, a reward for poor Sméagol who brings nice food. And we'll save the Precious, as we promised. O yes. And when we've got it safe, then She'll know it, O yes, then we'll pay Her back, my precious. Then we'll pay everyone back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwen
Also, (and here I readily admit that I am no expert on arachnid anatomy) but would binding Frodo in cords have brought Shelob into physical contact with the Ring? Especially as the Ring was located on a chain hidden inside Frodo's clothing?
I am also not an expert, but I think she didn't have to come into physical contact with the Ring.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley
Very good point. What would it benefit the Ring if it became trapped in Shelob's cave for another age?
As fot the "Mysterious 10th person"... I really don't think it could have been Bilbo. He was too scarred by the ring and if he touched it again, I believe he would have been lost to it.
It's clear from conversations between Bilbo and Frodo that Bilbo had NOT seen the Ring. He wasn't completely sure it was even in Rivendell to begin with.

As for Shelob, it seems Gollum, who was most familiar with the dark creature's habits, expected that she would have no intentions or uses for the Ring. It was his hope that he would still be able to find it, cast off along with other inedible objects.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #13
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A) Gandalf: Gandalf never touched the thing directly. As mentioned above, he used tongs with Frodo; with Bilbo he picked up the envelope the Ring was in, but not the Ring directly.

B) Gil-Galad: Conceivably, Gil-Galad was touched by the Ring, rather than vice-versa, in the last moments of his life.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #14
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hands on

It felt suddenly very heavy, as if either it or Frodo himself was in some way reluctant for Gandalf to touch it. Gandalf held it up..............................

...........To Frodo's astonishment and distress the wizard threw it suddenly into the middle of a glowing corner of the fire...............................

................,then he stooped and removed the the ring to the hearth with the tongs, and at once picked it up. Frodo gasped. 'It is quite cool,' said Gandalf. 'Take it'............

There is at least two times Gandalf touches the ring. In fact in this sense Baksi beats Jackson hands down.....

Last edited by narfforc; 03-27-2007 at 12:34 PM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:16 AM   #15
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Whoops! You're quite right, of course.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #16
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I believe Sam had to take the Ring out of Frodos shirt, which means that Shelob would have no contact with it. I'm not quite sure about that though.

--Fin--
Finduilas is offline   Reply With Quote