The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Fare thee well

I'm leaving the Downs, and since I don't want to just dissapear, I'll say goodbye first!

Just so you know, nothing's wrong, I'm not half dead or torn apart inside. Life's great, or at least normal. Mom just told me she doesn't want me on this site anymore, and I think her reasoning was my life is too busy to waste time on a LotR fan site. And, I think she is right.

I love you all, and I will miss you. But I'll get over it. I'm getting on next weekend for the last time, till then, Goodbye!

~Finduilas~
Old 06-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well that is pity... Tolkien has been such a positive thing in my life that it seems sad that it is regarded as a waste of time... but then the internet wasn't widely available until after I had finished my formal education, if it had, no doubt my parents might have taken action Though there are far worse ways to spend time...

Anyway all the best for what ever you do do instead - and you may close the door but we won't lock it behind you.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I'm so sorry to hear that you are leaving, Findiulas. Though I can understand you mothers point view, and I wish you luck in all of your future endevours in life. Your memory will still live on here, in the land of the dead!

God Bless you, Finduilas.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks for all of your interesting insights, and good luck with whatever you may be doing.

You'll be missed.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #798

Aw...I wish I had gotten to know you better! Well wishes and blessings, and as Mithalwen said, you're welcome whenever your mum likes.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
A good-bye from me might not seem quite in order, given that your period of membership corresponds fairly well to my period of relatively inactive membership, but I'll chime in anyway with best wishes for "real" life, and also add my formal protest to the notion that this site is a waste of time.

It is, in many respects, of course. Time spent online never accomplishes any great moral victories, no one is materially benefited, and when you go to bed at night, all you can say about those lost hours is "I laughed way too hard about that..."

That being said, how many of us actually spend our days completely productively? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I certainly cannot say that I do. An awful lot of my time is spent in useless, self-entertaining endeavours. And as far as THOSE go, I think the Barrow-downs is probably about as good as they come, and maybe then some. Quite apart from all the laughs, the discussions, and the skills involved in both that have been honed here, even two years after I've been intimately involved on this site, I'd still consider a number of the best friends I have in the world to be members here.

So, if you actually are going off to spend every waking moment in productive and moral actions, then you have my complete commendation, but otherwise... while I wish you the best of luck... I can't imagine that taking leave of one of the nicest, awesomest, communities of individuals being such a good thing.

Apologies if I'm making this more depressing... I realise your mom's decision isn't exactly your own.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm really sorry to hear this, you're a very good writer! It was great to RP with you for a bit! Hope to see you back sometime.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:02 AM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

Sorry you're leaving. Come back when you move out!

I'm sure we'll still be here, in one way or another. Or, at the very least, I hope.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, Finduilas, I can only possibly wish you best luck and to fare well. Although we maybe were not that close, I think I got to know you fair enough as a member, and it was nice to have you around.

Then, your mother is definitely right in that when there are things you should focus on and something would hinder you, there is a priority to be picked - the internet really is a trap for that. Although I think the Downs are not, and as long as the time spent on them is kept in reasonable measures ( ), it is as good thing to relax on - and one needs to have some relaxation in every time and in any case, otherwise we won't be able to carry on with the things we do otherwise - the Downs are as good thing to relax as anything else. And I find them actually useful and even helpful, one does not "rot" here, makes friends, is in contact with people, learns to communicate; can share his opinions and discuss things, it makes him think and unfold and work on his fantasy (RPGs...), intellect (Books...) and other things.

In any case, if in any time in the future your life is in better constellation to be here, we'll be surely happy to see you around. Fare thee well!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A waste of time...? Wow, posting on this forum must be one of the least harmful of all my vices (then again, perhaps you are more virtuous than I). After all, this is a social place of good "clean" fun where you can make friends from all around the world and learn a lot, and certainly not exclusively about the world of Tolkien. It is a great place to practice creative writing with attentive readers, or, especially for those of us who are not native speakers, improving our English reading and writing skills.

You almost make it sound like you're kicking a smack addiction or something when it's all or nothing. There is a middle way you know. Post when you do have time but prioritize important real life matters. Don't tell me you never watch TV for instance. Time on the downs is surely time better spent than in front of the old telly. Here's a verse of an old song you might or might not have refered to in the op:

Oh fare thee well, I must be gone
And leave you for awhile
Wherever I go, I will return
If I go ten thousand miles
Old 06-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #11
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Fin - I'm very sorry to see you go. It has been great to chat and RPG with you. I'll miss it, but don't let that worry you. It's going to be hardest for you yourself. May RL treat you kindly, take care. I do not say farewell, I say goodbye. Like Mith said, you're welcome back - even if that took 10 or 20 years. If this site is still running, you will most probably find at least me still haunting these forums.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
A waste of time...?
The key is balance/moderation. Like someone said, you need to take care of 'work' before play - I'm constantly drilling this into my kids. After that, some down time is helpful; relaxes the mind, increases energy, makes one a more rounded person. Drones get work done but are no fun and tend to burn out.

The Downs, or at least one of my excuses for posting here, helps my writing skills.

Not saying that any of this is germane to your situation.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #13
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
As you see, I got on before next weekend.

Oh dear. I hope I didn't insult anybody by saying "waste of time". That wasn't the only reason mom told me to stop, it was also she didn't have time to check it out, and considering that this is on the internet she couldn't really be sure of anything. She's really rather protective, which is awsome, and I was somehow ready for it when she told me she would like me to leave the Downs. That being said, I cried when I read all your posts on this thread.

I might be back in 10 to 20 years, never know.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I wish you all the best and hope you'll make an appearence now and then.
Saying hi from time to time isn't that hard and it's always nice to see members returning to see how things are going.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I haven't been around much myself, but I remember playing WW with you on occasion -- I'm sorry you have to leave the site. Hopefully when you're a legal adult (in a year) your mother will trust your judgment more on what sites to visit. I think she's lucky you're taking it so well, I think if I were in your shoes I'd be far more rebellious.

In the meantime, good luck with all your schoolwork and whatever else you are up to.

Last edited by Diamond18; 06-08-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: oy spelling
Diamond18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #16
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Woe!

May your time in the land of the living be filled with good things, fun times and, most importantly, cake. Always remember there is a nice cold Barrow open to you here on the Downs. We'll try and keep them squatters out (they're mostly still up at Amon Rûdh) and not let the rat problem get out of hand... again.

I am avoiding the temptation to shout "FIGHT THE POWER!", but I suppose that your work and future are important. May good times follow you to the end. After that, come back and tell us all about it!
Old 06-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #17
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It's a pity I never got to know you very much here. Sad to see you go, now. You will always be welcomed, should you return.

Hmm... if your mother doesn't trust your judgement concerning what web pages you visit, maybe she trust Folwren's? If you and your sister both state that this is one of the most harmless places on the web, maybe she will reconsider? Concerning time, as others have said, real life duties of course have to take precedence, but they are, after all, never a reason to abandon a nice pastime entirely.

Anyway, all the best wishes to you for your further life. Be happy!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 AM   #18
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

10 to 20 years? What on Middle-earth are your plans?

You have to get online to check your email, I presume. I also presume that you are a fairly well-balanced individual who is able to browse for 10 to 15 minutes at the maximum and then know when to switch off.

I don't mean to offend your mother but the world is changing (I can feel it in the water...) and the myths about the internet become less believable every day. My mother used to worry that I spent too much time talking to strangers online, telling me that such relationships weren't real. I might remind her about that soon when I marry a girl I met on the Barrow-Downs!

Seriously, good luck with whatever you do, but I hope you come back soon.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #19
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Goodbye Finduilas! You can't escape death, taxes or the mandate of your parents. I will remember you as an enthusiastic new member and a good source of discussion.

When I was most heavily into the 'Downs, I wasn't considering it wasted time, or not on the whole wasted. Thanks to a couple RPGs, intelligent discussions on something I actually knew about with adults and acceptance into a group of people due to shared interest, I found the 'Downs a positive source of self-esteem. You should too!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
At least, Finduilas, you'll leave causing another great question: "Is the Downs really useless?" Sorry I couldn' resist!

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 06-09-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #21
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Everything changes; people come and go from your life; enjoy them while you have them.

Can't help it, but I guess that Fin is fin...
Old 06-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #22
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh, that is so sad... I should have been on the Downs lately... At least spending time on the Downs is more productive then spending time on Facebook (Like I have been recently)

I am sad to see you go... although next year when I am in high school thinking about boys and not this wonderful place I will probably neglect you people more...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
But for the time being,
Farewell and have a wonderful life. God bless you!