The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
Doriath

LoTR version with new index

I have the 2004 (first) printing of the one-volume deluxe edition of the 50th anniversary edition of The Lord of the Rings. Hammond and Scull state that the second printing (2005) has a revised index and additional corrections. Does this apply to the newer one-volume edition or to the 3-volume version, i.e., if one were to purchase a one-volume leather-bound book off the shelf at, say, Barnes and Noble, would it have the new index and corrections?

Steve
Old 03-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doriath
I have the 2004 (first) printing of the one-volume deluxe edition of the 50th anniversary edition of The Lord of the Rings. Hammond and Scull state that the second printing (2005) has a revised index and additional corrections. Does this apply to the newer one-volume edition or to the 3-volume version, i.e., if one were to purchase a one-volume leather-bound book off the shelf at, say, Barnes and Noble, would it have the new index and corrections?

Steve

The 3 volume Harper Collins h/b's have the revised index & so does the most recent single vol p/b (we have both). Its worth just checking the edition before you buy - its very clearly stated on the first page of the index section that the Index is revised by the editors. As far as I'm aware the revised index is now standard to all post '05 editions.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Doriath

Thank you. That's just what I was looking for.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You might be interested in Bookmarking Wayne Hammond & Christina Scull's site (the Editors of the 50th Anniversary edition, as well as the writers of the recent Tolkien Companion & Guide & the LotR Reader's Guide ). Most useful part of the site is the Addenda & Corrigenda section, which gives updates & corrections to the published books - there are some interesting additions & alterations to the above books given there. Worth checking out if you've bought them.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote