The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2003, 12:36 AM   #1
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Wormtonge’s manipulation

Wormtongue manipulates King Théoden all the time. But Eomer, Eowyn and all the King’s people do nothing to stop Wormtongue, except for Gandalf, who comes to their rescue. Perhaps they are too afraid to stop him or perhaps the occupation of Saruman in the King’s mind is too powerful?
Please reply and make this a worthwhile discussion. (smiley face)
Old 04-01-2003, 01:27 AM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

They knew that Wormtongue was up to no good and that his advice to Theoden was ill. But what could they do? It is up to the king (Theoden) as to whether Wormtongue has committed a crime or not. And besides, Eomer defied the orders and he was expelled. Gandalf was the only one who could really open Theoden's eyes to what was going on.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:27 AM   #3
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Yes, Im sure when he first came, they did not trust him, but they did not really have any proof. When they realised what exactly he was doing, it was too late.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:30 PM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

I think Grima is originally from Rohan. I don't think he's a foreigner. I think he had been Theoden's adviser all along, or at least he must have worked within the king's court somewhere. That's how he met Eowyn and fell for her. Once Saruman learned what Grima wanted, it was easy for him to bring Grima into his service: a simple deal: Give me Edoras and I'll give you Eowyn.

Notice Eomer (or Gandalf, in the book?) asks him, "How long since Saruman bought you?" He was not always in Saruman's service. By offering Eowyn to Grima, Saruman slowly and steadily earned more of Grima's "loyalty" every time Eowyn walked by.

I think that's why Wormtongue's tear when he sees Saruman's army is so effective. He didn't think Rohan would be destroyed-- just subjugated. He begins to realize what a monster Saruman really is-- and what he has helped to set in motion that cannot, now, be undone.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:43 PM   #6
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with the last post, Srima was, in the end, the one who kills Sarauman

He was tempted into an act that, if he had seen the consequences, would have never done.
But then again...

the question is, was grima really evil to the core? or was he seduced, so to speak?
Old 04-02-2003, 11:09 AM   #7
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I also think Grima was originally from Rohan, and in the beginning he derved King Theoden justly (and I believe Gandalf says something like this in 'the King of the Golden Hall')!
Saruman bought him, by offering him to rule Rohan for Saruman, with Eowyn. People did not dare interfere for Theoden still was their King and Grima was cunning. It takes courage to stand up against your King. And when Eomer at last did so, Grima had him thrown in the dungeons in the name of King. Saruman was in control of Rohan, until Gandalf came and released Theoden from Grima, and Saruman.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:09 AM   #8
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think he was just seduced,poor fellow.Saruman abused his emotional weakness.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:10 PM   #9
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good point, but the question is foggy considering the fact that they didn't tell us of his earlier days.

He could have very well been an evil person from the start. and sauran's offer was only his "Golden opportunity", his chance to really shine, the fact that he killed sauraman could have been resentment, evil and evil rarely get along, they just coexist, the more powerful taking control by force.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:05 PM   #10
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I think that in no way did Grima see the full scope of what he had done until it was too late. He was just a love-struck ugly geek who wanted the upper hand in life for once.

Notice what happened at the end of the Scouring of the Shire. We find that Grima is as sickened by Saruman as everybody else and turns on him.

Also notice the scene in The Two Towers where Grima inquires about the army Saruman has the camers pans out to show the legions of Isengard. If you look closely, you can see a tear falling from Grima's eye and the fear creeping into his heart. His expressions read, "Oh my God. What have I done?" like a picture book. Of course this is just the director's and actor's interpretations of Grima, but they've been pretty accurate thus far.

~Scott
Old 04-02-2003, 10:51 PM   #11
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

here's a quote from 'The King of the Golden Hall'
Quote:
To slay it(Grima) would be just. But it was not always as it now is. Once it was a man, and did you service in it's fashion.
He also was corrupted by Saruman. But how much corruption was needed is not said. Gandalf has also said this just before
Quote:
How long since Saruman bought you? What was the promised price? When all the men were dead, you were to pick your share of the treasure, and take the woman you desire?
This seems to imply that he knew there was going to be killing and lots of it. But, as in the movie it's wipe them out, rather than, kill the men, leave the women and treasure as reward to Sarumans "faithful".
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote