The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2003, 05:16 PM   #1
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe Southeastern U.S. BD

I've noticed a few threads (such as Canada, Australia, New-England, and London based) where Barrowdowners belonging to these parts of the world can contact each other.

Anywho, I thought I'd start one for people in my area: Southeastern United States.

I live in Savannah GA. Anyone close by? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font color="green">-Maikafanawen

[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 07-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Well, I do happen to live in the southeastern US... but Norfolk VA is still pretty far away... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Eye

I have relatives in Katala, Georgia (it's close to Columbus) and I've been down there a few times.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:53 PM   #4
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I suppose Fayetteville, Tennessee qualifies as the Southeast US, although it feels like the middle of nowhere! (And that isn't even where I live; that's just the nearest civilization!)

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

What about Louisville KY? It's sometimes considered the South, but sometimes the Mid-West.

-Fëa
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

I'm from Florida,(I can't tell you where exactly, becasue my mom thinks you're all stalkers). Anyone else from here?
Old 07-26-2003, 11:37 AM   #7
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Leowen: I'm sort of close to Northern Florida in Savannah. Are more towards the southern parts though?

Olorin: I've never even heard of Katala. You say it's by Columbus though and that's straight west of me on the exact other side of Savannah.

The US is big. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

<font color-"green">-Maikafanawen
Old 07-26-2003, 06:01 PM   #8
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Shield

Alas, I'm not near Savannah. I'm sorry I can't be more specific about my location, but my mother is absolutely convinced that you're all out to get me. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2003, 12:51 PM   #9
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

We are Leowen ... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maikafanawen
Old 07-30-2003, 12:18 AM   #10
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

If you wanted to be techincal, I'm in Ashland, AL. But most of the time I tend to call it the backwoods. Not much civilization between here and Minas Tirth. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And I wouldn't worry about where you are from. Most Southerners are willing to claim anyone as long as you can sit back and relax on the front porch and enjoy a story or two. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

'South' Farthing

^ a thread started a while
back about Southern Barrow-ites
Old 08-01-2003, 09:49 AM   #11
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Quote:
Not much civilization between here and Minas Tirth.
Heh heh! Are you calling Birmingham Minas Tirith? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] While its got some nice places, I've seen a lot of things that remind me or Isengard or Mordor there! And in the other thread, you profess Tuscaloosa...been there! It is sultry there, as the Black Warrior River runs through it! Spent many years wandering Alabama, then left for tick country Tennessee! There is probably a higher tick population here than humans! But the trees beat all! (Still looking for the Ents and Entwives though!)

And thanks for the link to the other thread! It seems there are lots of BD-ers hidden away around here!I wear my BD cap to the post office, but I haven't had any recognition of it yet...could be because I'm in Tennessee Walking Horse territory and they all think it refers to a horse farm! (the sword would tell them otherwise, but oh well!) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And Lëowen, are you originally FROM Florida? That would make you a Florida Native, which is a rare species (I'm also one, but left long ago). Do you see the bumper stickers anymore that have the FL state shape and "Native" or "Semi-Native" or "Alien" written across it, or am I showing my age? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta (Longtime wanderer of Southern States)
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 08-01-2003, 04:15 PM   #12
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I thought I had already posted here!

I'm also from that Deep South Farthing region called Alabama by some. Me and the Mrs have our little hole down in Mobile, Alabama.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:46 PM   #13
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Shield

Actually, I'm originally from New Jersey, but I've been in Florida for awhile now. And no, Lyta, I've never seen those bumper stickers...
Old 08-02-2003, 10:28 AM   #14
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Quote:
I've never seen those bumper stickers...
Ah, well, I wonder if they have become politically incorrect? They were a hot item in the 1980's as I recall. I always liked the one that said "Alien," because it could mean so many things! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Never been to New Jersey, though...but I HAVE been to Mobile, Gilthalion, and a little ways away, Fort Gaines (with unexploded ordnance still waiting there for the unsuspecting)! I spent one Mardi Gras in Mobile back in the 1980's (gee, it seems I did all sorts of things in the 1980's!). And I remember the 1970's as well! (60's are kind of fuzzy, though!). I suppose there is not only the question of realm of location, but also of time strata! I'm sure many of the members here do not remember the first time wide ties and polyester bell bottoms were popular and just what it felt like to experience the cheese firsthand! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But that's neither here nor there, then nor now...

Cheers,
Lyta
Old 08-02-2003, 11:59 PM   #15
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

LOL.....I have to profess both actually, Lyta. I live here, but go to school in the Tuscaloosa area. Sometimes Birmingham feels impressive like Minas Tirth. Though, when you get lost of the South Side, it feels like Mordor...The tick thing I can understand. They're bad here as well. So where all did you travel? It sounds like you have seen so much. And good choice for the ending spot, Tennessee is beautiful country. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] How do you start a journey like that? Like Frodo, I'm quite fond of my home, and sometimes feel like I have no heart to leave it. Anyways, I'm babbling. Wear the Barrow-downs cap with pride! I rather wish they had a fishermans hat style with the logo. You would never be able to get me out of it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2003, 05:01 PM   #16
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Alright, I'm not from the Southeast (I live all the way across the country in fact), but my sister is leaving for college in Savannah (Savannah College of Art and Design) in September and she'll be living there for the next four years, at least. I'm sure somewhere in that time I'll be visiting Georgia and perhaps if I'm lucky I'll run into one of you BDers.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-06-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:38 PM   #17
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

There is some chance that we passed one another during a Mid-80s Mardi Gras in Mobile, when I was in my tweens!

And I well remember the 70s, though the 60s are pretty much lost in the mists of childhood.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:09 PM   #18
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Brinniel: AWESOME!! I live in Savannah!! I got to the Arts Academy--the magnet High School--and we do a bunch of stuff with SCAD!! Oh this is exciting. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maikafanawen
Old 08-17-2003, 12:44 AM   #19
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Ah, well perhaps you'll be lucky (or unfortunate) enough to someday run into a short and skinny red-head who is a freshman majoring in computer animation, is a dancer, and happens to go by the name of Laura (or more likely her newfound nickname, Elle). If you ask her about LOTR, the BD, or someone named Brinniel and she groans and rolls her eyes, that'd be my sister. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, I probably won't visit Savannah for another few years, when my family can actually afford going down there again. But, perhaps someday...
Old 08-16-2004, 10:20 PM   #20
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Here's another Downser out in the south. New Orleans to be exact. Good ole Louisiana Glad to call it home!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote