The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-30-2003, 02:36 AM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting 50th Anniverary products...

Maybe not the right forum.
But, I was wondering if anyone had any 'wish list' for something special for the 50th anniversary of LotR. I know Harper Collins (UK publisher) has stated they have something special planned, relating to the books, as opposed to the films.
My own 'wish' would be for an edition of the last unpublished works - Fall of Arthur, New Volsungasaga, the sequel to Giles that he began, & the essay on Smith that Flieger refers to in Question of Time.
What about anyone else? Maybe a translation of LotR into Sindarin?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:43 AM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

An actual "copy" of the Red Book of Westmarch (meaning The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in one big, red, leatherbound hardcover).
Old 04-30-2003, 09:36 AM   #3
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Yes, that would be very fun to won. Wouldn't an authentic letter of the old Professor himself be great?

~Menelien
Old 04-30-2003, 09:41 AM   #4
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

I'd like all the authentic Tolkien pieces that were published in Vinyar Tengwar in one volume. And what would be really great is all of the little scraps that CT left out of HoMe.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:43 PM   #5
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I'd like to see a widely available commercial edition of Songs for the Philologists, which has some pieces by E.V. Gordon (with whom Tolkien collaborated on an edition of Gawain and the Green Knight) and others, an early version of The Stone Troll and several poems in Latin and Old English. Better yet, The Collected Poems of J.R.R. Tolkien would be a title worth a few bob to me at least. At the moment they're spread out across a bewildering array of dusty periodicals and privately-published volumes.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Yes, to whoever said Vinya Tengwar stuff, I'd love to see that in book form available at your neighborhood Barnes.

Also I'd like to see a really nice hardback edition of the Silmarillion. The ones I've seen are fairly ugly, and my paperback copy is just lacking.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote