The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2002, 08:13 PM   #1
Eleventy1-tipsy-hobbits

Sting PJ's "Galadriel the Wraith"

This is obviously one of the most hated scenes in the movie; Galadriels radioactivity. I read alot of reactions: over-the-top pyrotechnics, un-necessary, Cate could have carried the temptation scene fine on her own. It looked cheap, cartoonish, jarring, not at all the Galadriel I depicted in my mind. They made her voice too low, too garbbled, too creepy, and so it goes on <BR>The first few viewings, yeah, it was pretty hellish. But now I find it one of my many favorite scenes. Not least because I think PJ did define that side of Galadriel that many of us tend to overlook or are not well read on; proud, wilful, powerful, someone who wanted to rule her own kingdom etc. Are these necessarily bad traits, perhapes not, but still the stuff that have caused other heros/heroines to fall.<BR>When I observe Frodo offering Galadriel the ring, she reaches out and says, "You off it to me freely ... I do not deny that my heart has greatly desire this...."<BR>Her hand trembles as she reaches out. I wonder that two things are happening here. She is striving to resist the lure of the ring, but the other thought I had, is the ring is drawing her in, and it draws her into the wraith world.<BR>In this world PJ physically exposes the conflict between the ring and Galadriel. By this I mean there are literally two entities struggling to gain power over the other. It's not just Galadriels inner turmoil. Others have used the word possession. Perhapes, I'm not sure.<BR>I thought this a physical confrontation because throught the transformation scene, there seem to be two voices echoing the same words. One voice obviously Galadriel, voicing the promise of what she will become. The other, the One Ring, PROMISING that same promise. I never got the impression that they were trying to alter her voice, but that it was a altogether, another.<BR>We have seen Galadriel as the "Lady of the Light" particularly when she meets the Fellowship. To see the contrast as not only a "Beautiful Queen", but a Queen of War and Destruction emphasing even more that power is corruptable. Even those black eyes as they look down on Frodo look, wild and souless.<BR>Some people have asked why it couldn't be done in a similar fashion to Gandalfs temptation. Gandalf didn't seek the power of the ring. Galadriels desire for it required I think something destructive to equate with her power, I thought this a great way to deliver it. <BR>There are a hundred and one way it could have been done, sure, but I enjoyed this version and I wanted to say why.<BR>I know for some of you, it will never be right Don't think evil of me, ok?<BR>I lost some of my transcript, had to do some of it again <p>[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Eleventy1-tipsy-hobbits ]
Old 08-16-2002, 08:21 PM   #2
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That's a very interesting way of viewing it. And I wonder if it is at all possible....<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>She is striving to resist the lure of the ring, but the other is the ring is drawing her in, and it draws her into the wraith world.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>are you saying that that is what Galadriel the (ring) wraith would look like? i guess that it is possible...I'll watch the movie tonight and see if I can make that same connection. But it is a cool way of seeing that situation...one that I have never heard before.

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 08:33 PM   #3
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Yes! I'm just pleased to read anything intelligent about that whole scene. I had just written it off as a purple and green disaster! Now I will look at it in a new light.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:42 PM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

Very, very cool interpretation. I just assumed they were showing off their special effects arsenal, but your post is making me reconsider my original position. For what it's worth, I had a strong desire to cower under my seat during her little "freak-out." Now I may appreciate it on a deeper level. And the breast-plate! Be afraid, Sauron, be very afraid!
Old 08-17-2002, 12:23 AM   #5
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Thumbs up

Very interesting, I never thought of it that way before. Makes sense to me. <BR>Next time I watch FOTR,(which will most likely be tomorrow) I'll be thinking about what you said.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 01:45 AM   #6
Eleventy1-tipsy-hobbits

Sting

Thanks so much for your comments. Let me know what you think after seeing the movie, be interested to know your thoughts.<BR>Davin: Truth be told, I really don't know, I would think not, though. - the movie One ring? maybe <BR>I think it was more the symbolism that the actual struggle seems to begin there and that PJ may have chosen to portray that struggle through Galadriel appearing, wraith-like, remebering this figure is not even strictly totally animated, but that its still Cate with all the special effects added on. Cheers<p>[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Eleventy1-tipsy-hobbits ]
Old 08-17-2002, 11:37 AM   #7
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Everytime I got a chance to see the movie I would consintrate hard on that scene. Trying to figure it out.<P>But now it makes scence. I think your evaluation is for the most part, if not entirely accurate.<P> Way to go!
Old 08-18-2002, 04:35 PM   #8
Eleventy1-tipsy-hobbits

Sting

Rose C; Happy to accomodate I think it is a difficult scene to get around, only because its probably the least way that anyone really imagined her. PJ took a risk and for me, it came off great.<BR>The unfortunate cut of the gift giving scene does tip the scales toward a more forboding Galadriel, but this will be balanced with the Nov. DVD.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:54 PM   #9
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eleventy1, thank you for that wonderful analysis of that scene. I always liked it before, but your interpretation of it has made me appreciate it even more. THANKS!

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 07:21 PM   #10
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I personally thought that it was O.K. However, if you have not read the books, like my sister, it is possible to think that Galadriel is a bad guy. My sister may not always be the brightest bulb on the tree but if she can deduct by Galadriels actions in the movie that she is bad, something is wrong. I think that the crazy green Galadriel was a part of that.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:08 AM   #11
Eleventy1-tipsy-hobbits

Sting

Arwen; agreed, for someone having not read the books, she would come off looking bad. Alot of those who have read the books came away feeling that way as well, and cursing PJ for the "flaw" Considering her history, I think its a side of her that needed to be demonstrated.<BR>We get a glimpse of our "would be queen, though, when she gives Frodo his gift and she looks stunning."<BR>She is in the TTT and I think we will see a very etheral queen full of humility, power and grace, just as we all imagined that will go along way to redressing and balancing the scales to her character. So will the gift-giving scene in the extended version.
Old 08-19-2002, 08:45 AM   #12
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I think if we see more of her AFTER she past the "test" then we would be able to see the better side of her. Before she past she was just really scared that she would fail.