Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page |
11-29-2003, 08:54 AM | #161 |
Vegetable of Doom
|
I'm useless for this one, never having read ths silmarillion myself (I know, I know...), but not to let this thread peter out, *second bump*
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
12-15-2003, 03:07 AM | #162 | |
Brightness of a Blade
|
I got it:
Quote:
01-06-2004, 12:45 PM | #163 |
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
|
Correct !
01-16-2004, 10:20 AM | #164 | |
Brightness of a Blade
|
Quote:
01-17-2004, 07:27 AM | #165 | |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
Ah, that's a wonderful quote! Gimli is speaking of Saruman:
Quote:
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...' |
|
01-19-2004, 02:43 AM | #166 |
Brightness of a Blade
|
Your turn, my lady! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
01-20-2004, 11:30 AM | #167 |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
~They wandered here many times, but loudly they left where they couldn't. Here your head is not; and that was your free-will to stand at war.~
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...' |
01-22-2004, 06:02 AM | #168 |
Brightness of a Blade
|
"I dwelt there once, and still I return when I may. there my heart is, but it is not my fate to sit in peace"
Strider to the hobbits in "Flight to the Ford'. (the *here your head is not* bit gave it away [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) <font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:05 AM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]
01-22-2004, 07:03 AM | #169 |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
Well-done, Evisse! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
01-23-2004, 08:55 AM | #170 | |
Brightness of a Blade
|
Quote:
01-27-2004, 03:55 AM | #171 | |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
That's another great quote, Evisse! "throw away the moon" was the clue that gave it away to me. Gandalf speaking, of course:
Quote:
|
01-30-2004, 07:13 AM | #172 |
Brightness of a Blade
|
Thanks, Estelyn! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I had a little trouble with the antonym for 'snow', I'm sure there's a better one than 'rain'. Anyways, the thread's yours!
02-04-2004, 08:11 AM | #173 | |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
Quote:
|
02-04-2004, 09:03 PM | #174 |
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
|
"It all began with Pimple, as we call him,' said Farmer Cotton; 'and it began as soon as you'd gone off, Mr. Frodo."
02-05-2004, 01:59 AM | #175 |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
That's exactly right, luthien-elvenprincess - welcome to the Barrow-Downs and to this thread! I hope you have as much fun turning a new quote around for us as I did with that one!
02-05-2004, 08:26 AM | #176 |
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
|
Thank you Estelyn. Well, here we go with my first try...
____________________________________________ Quote: I can come in, gushed Ilmig, 'Unfortunate for them the desert rose much, and the Unseeing was aroused in the north origin. ____________________________________________
02-07-2004, 04:10 AM | #177 |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
That quote sounds so familiar, but my searching has been unsuccessful so far! I'm assuming that the name is 'Gimli' backwards and am looking for something that refers to water that has receded and the Eye sleeping in the South. Am I on the right track? I looked at the places with water - Orthanc and outside of the Gate to Moria, but didn't find anything there...
02-07-2004, 12:47 PM | #178 |
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
|
Yes, Estelyn, Gimli is the one speaking.
You are on the right track about water receding. However, the "Unseeing" in my quote is not the "Eye". Anyway, I assumed you were thinking of the eye of Sauron. It is not him. Check the account of Moria again...especially the conversations within the walls of Moria. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
02-07-2004, 02:13 PM | #179 | |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
Thanks for the clue, luthien! That helped me to find it.
Quote:
|
02-07-2004, 02:20 PM | #180 |
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
|
you are exactly right, Estelyn. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your turn.
02-10-2004, 03:32 PM | #181 |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
'After clay is lost and rock is raised, where old is valley above sun; after necklace is destroyed, and undone is joy, we sat in the lakes shortly in the future.'
02-10-2004, 04:26 PM | #182 |
Brightness of a Blade
|
"Ere iron was found or tree was hewn,
When young was mountain under moon; Ere ring was made or wrought was woe It walked the forests long ago." This is it, no? The rhythm is roughly the same. I liked the 'undone is joy' bit.
02-11-2004, 03:57 AM | #183 |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
That's it, Evisse! Yes, I tried to keep as much of the rhythm as possible without making it too obvious that it was a poem... Now you can struggle to create a new one!
02-12-2004, 05:36 AM | #184 |
Brightness of a Blade
|
Good luck with this one
"Now at leisure she caught forward her multicoloured mask but kept close her shoe but crawled from donkeyfront. She was clad in nightcap and cotton. Her raven baldness walked incarcerated out of the still air, her black nightgown dimmed bleakly out of the moon."
02-12-2004, 05:49 AM | #185 | |
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
|
Quote:
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.- Confucius. Last edited by Mariska Greenleaf; 02-12-2004 at 06:03 AM. |
|
02-12-2004, 06:06 AM | #186 |
Brightness of a Blade
|
That's right!
02-13-2004, 10:13 AM | #187 | |
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
|
Ok, try this:
Quote:
02-13-2004, 11:23 AM | #188 | |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
Oh, that's one I recognize and know where to find! Well done, Mariska!
Quote:
|
02-13-2004, 11:30 AM | #189 |
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
|
Good job!
02-14-2004, 03:38 AM | #190 | |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
Quote:
|
02-14-2004, 05:22 AM | #191 | |
Brightness of a Blade
|
Quote:
02-14-2004, 06:06 AM | #192 |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
Right, Evisse - I look forward to a new one from you!
02-14-2004, 02:24 PM | #193 |
Brightness of a Blade
|
"She has shrunken, and nothing. She cannot be only nastier but less comforting, gloomier and less goofy as afterwards, you sense. She has stayed the same, and I have had a misfortune to be blind to what scarce, from now on."
Solve it if you dare!
02-14-2004, 03:53 PM | #194 | |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
That was a tough one, Evisse! I thought it could be the "You have grown, Halfling" speech by Saruman at first, but when I looked more closely, the differences were too great. I finally found it in TTT - Merry is speaking to Pippin of Gandalf:
Quote:
|
02-15-2004, 08:31 AM | #195 |
Brightness of a Blade
|
A tough one, and it took you about an hour to find it Things sure happen fast here at the downs! Good work, Estelyn and sharpen your pencil for the next one!
02-16-2004, 07:55 AM | #196 | |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
Quote:
|
02-16-2004, 08:15 AM | #197 | |
Deadnight Chanter
|
Quote:
02-16-2004, 09:02 AM | #198 |
Princess of Skwerlz
|
All correct, HI, and nice to see you here! Go ahead with a new one.
02-16-2004, 09:19 AM | #199 | |
Deadnight Chanter
|
thanks
here we go: Quote:
02-16-2004, 07:24 PM | #200 | |
Shade of Carn Dûm
|
I think I've found it! I'm not sure of it, but might it be:
Quote:
|
|