The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2003, 06:57 PM   #961
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nurumaiel, thanks for the encouragement! I walked 5.3 miles today and I think I have found my daily limit! The old injuries to my hips and back screamed far too loudly at the end of it; I don't think I could have gone another step! If I am lucky, all this walking will eventually lessen the pain all these unfortunate life experiences have given me as daily "gifts!"

Oh, I'm past Stock now! Almost to Buckleberry Ferry! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (After today, it'll be a few days before I reach it!)

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 02:35 AM   #962
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have been hunting for this thread for a while! I am so glad that I found it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I have 117 miles so far. I know that I can make it to Bree very soon, I hope to get past Midgewater by Dec.

My health is slowing me down a bit, but I am doing good so far.

I have just gotten over another bought of bronchitits (which comes every two months now due to the Remicade treatments) and dealing with diabetis (due to prednisone, given to combat the side effects of Remicade). [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: Joy ]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 06:10 AM   #963
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
The alter ego sighed again, and resolved (again) NOT to hit the snooze alarm in the morning...and not to stay up too late the night before...
"No excuses, now," Peony told her…
Oh, this sounds so very like my debate in the morning as well! I have been a slug lately, taking all week off, so I’m still here in Rivendell. Has everyone in the north noticed the sunrise coming later and later!

Lyra Greenleaf , I can see you just around the corner. You are practically here!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:56 AM   #964
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, we've finally reached the first camp in the Trollshaws. Frodo is still getting worse, and I fear that without help soon, he will die. And there are 103 miles left to Rivendell! It seems we will never get there! Strider tries to keep us optimistic, but still...

{EDIT} Woohoo! 14 shields! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:58 AM   #965
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Oh, Joy, it's wonderful to hear from you again. I was just reading through the old thread and wondering what had happened to you. You're almost to Strider... that was a happy day for me. How much easier it was with Strider to protect us!

Lyta, 5 miles is wonderful. I can walk that long on some days. If only I had enough time to do it every day.

I'm going to be updating the mileage list again soon, so make sure your mileage is in your 'from' space.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:30 PM   #966
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not really supposed to be on the internet until we got a virus scan, but I couldn't resist...

I'VE REACHED RIVENDELL!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

It's actually really exciting. When I saw the magical distance on my pedometer I broke into a huge grin and spontaneously said "Welcome to Rivendell Frodo Baggins" in my best Hugo Weaving voice. Aloud! (Lucky there was no-one near). 285 miles to Lorien, hey? See you there!

PS I'm not convinced we should have to walk from Lorien to Rauros. After all, the Fellowship didn't!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 05:39 PM   #967
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lyra: Congratulations! Welcome to Rivendell..come on over and join us in the hot springs.

Quote:
My atlas shows 285 miles from Rivendell to Lórien; 393 miles from Lórien to Rauros; and 470 miles from Rauros to Mt. Doom--a total of 1,606 miles from Bag End to Mt. Doom.
I am so embarrassed! I would like to apologize to my fellow walkers for grossly miscalculating the distance from Rivendell to Lórien. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I spent several hours yesterday afternoon working on a timetable/mileage chart for the rest of the journey. I discovered that if I follow the Fellowship exactly, it is actually 465 miles from Rivendell to Caras Galadhon (396 to the banks of Nimrodel). I'm not sure where my head was when I originally calculated the distance. The other sections of the journey only required small mileage adjustments: 389 from Caras Galadhon to Rauros; & 468 miles from Rauros to Mt. Doom. A total of 1,780 miles from Bag End to Mt. Doom.

It is still a feasible goal to walk from Rivendell to Caras Galadhon by December 17. It's 108 days till RotK..at 465 miles that's approximately 4.3 miles per day. Or at least to Nimrodel (3.67 miles per day). I'm not sure if I can make it by then, but I'm going to do my best.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:16 PM   #968
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Walk to Rivendell is now Walk to Lothlórien, at least on the Downs it is. Continue your discussion on the new topic: Walk To Rivendell" aka "The Eowyn Challenge" (Part 3)
Old 08-31-2003, 08:18 PM   #969
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Walk To Rivendell" aka "The Eowyn Challenge" (Part 3)

Continued from Part 2, Walk to Rivendell now goes all the way to Lothlórien! (And I'm not even half way to the Hidden Valley!)

Have fun!

Go to "Walk to Lórien"

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Old 09-01-2003, 12:34 PM   #970
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield Barrow-Downs Walk to Rivendell

AS OF August 3, '05

Alatáriël Lossëhelin : 2491
Anorial: 1030
Araréiel: 23.5
ArwenBaggins : 912
Barrow Wight : 214
elfearz1: 575
Eruantalon : 100
Estelyn Telcontar : 2250
Faenaduial : 710
Firefoot : 49
Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa : 468
Garen LiLorian: 73
Goldberry : 86
Hilde Bracegirdle : 487
Hildigard : 1,190
Lalaith : 230
Lyta_Underhill : 1785
Mad Baggins : 444
Maeggaladiel: 21
mark12_30 : 558
Naz : 49
Neferchoiren : 483
Nurumaiel : 330
Pyroclastic : 143
Rosie-Posey Sandybanks : 27
Sapphire_Flame : 430
Saraphim: 258
Sirithheruwen : 150
Tefalathiel : 547
Thorongil : ?

Last edited by Nurumaiel; 08-03-2005 at 11:20 AM. Reason: updating list...
Nurumaiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:18 PM   #971
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

So, I guess I'll continue posting here.
Three cheers BW, for the updated tracker!
Being on the road again has lifted our spirits greatly. We got boxes of food from Lord Elrond, so hopefully, we won't be having cram for a while!
We have walked 481 miles.
We have passed Fords of Bruinen (480).
It is 44 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 441 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.
At the Ford of Bruinen they left the Road and turning southwards went on by narrow paths among the folded lands. Their purpose was to hold this course west of the Mountains for many miles and days.
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 02:27 PM   #972
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I'm so proud of myself!

You have walked 643 miles.
You have passed Misty Mountain Foothills (615).
You are only 17 miles from High Vantage Point.
You still have 279 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.

At first it seemed to the hobbits that although they walked and stumbled until they were weary, they were creeping forward like snails, and getting nowhere. Each day the land looked much the same as it had the day before. Yet steadily the mountains were drawing nearer.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:42 PM   #973
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Wow, BW!! Thanks for updating the mileage tracker to Lórien. I know it took a lot of work.

I miss Rivendell, but it's good to be back on the road. At the moment I feel a bit of deja vu..this is close to where we had the barbeque on the way in to Rivendell. We'll soon pass the Ford though, and then we'll be in new territory. We brought a pack pony with us this time (Bill, of course!), and plenty of lembas and other food. Frodo is well again, so we are quite a merry company (sorry Merry--no pun intended [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ). I'm not too sure about that dwarf though...he has quite a belligerent attitude. Legolas and I had better keep an eye on him.

--------------------

Elrond summoned the hobbits to him. He looked gravely at Frodo..."I can forsee very little of your road; and how your task is to be achieved I do not know. The Shadow has crept now to the feet of the Mountains, and draws nigh even to the borders of Greyflood; and under the Shadow all is dark to me. You will meet many foes, some open, and some disguised; and you may find friends upon your way when you least look for it."
Old 09-02-2003, 11:51 PM   #974
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Wow, good job on the Walk to Lorien mileage indicator, BW! I had wondered how mileage would be followed inside Moria, but it seems you've worked that out too! I've got a LONG way to go before I worry about getting across the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, though! I'm only 6 miles from Buckleberry Ferry--closer and closer, yet still so far away... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] On another thought, those hobbits must have had incredibly resilient and tough feet! Mine are blistered up and down and I wear shoes! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 09-03-2003, 11:22 AM   #975
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

You have walked 287 miles.
You are still south of the Road (286).
It is 13 miles to the next landmark. You still have 171 miles to Rivendell.

Slowly, slowly, but I'm getting there. Nearly to mile 300, which is an extremely exciting thing for me. I will be walking to Lothlorien, but I'm not going to get there before Dec. 17th. That doesn't mean I won't try, of course. If I can get to Rivendell soon I think I should have a small chance.

Mileage list updated. Second post on the thread, under BW's.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:52 PM   #976
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Strider says that now that Frodo is well again, we can make five miles a day! So, five miles today we did. (In Gym, we had to run a mile, and then I walked another four.)
We have walked 488 miles.
It is 37 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 434 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:45 AM   #977
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

As the season draws on and the sun sets later and later I will begin to walk at night as the fellowship did, but for now there is still sufficient daylight left.

I walked by a stream and watched the salmon run today. I always find that awsome. Tolkien never mentioned fishing but Frodo began his quest in the fall so perhaps he at least watched the samon run as well.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:43 AM   #978
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes! Less than one hundred miles to go for Rivendell, and I may even take up the Walk to Lorien. I've been bogged down with a nasty cold today, though, so I doubt that I'll be getting any miles done.

Camping in the Trollshaws has paid off, as Strider has informed us that we are less than one hundred miles from Rivendell. Even though we are greatly heartened by that news, we are still troubled by Frodo's steadily worsening. Yesterday he seemed to have slipped into a black cloud. Strider presses us on, hurrying us. We are exhausted every night, and must start early every morning. I will be so glad when we get to Rivendell and receive a well-deserved rest!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:43 PM   #979
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Just a reminder to vote for your favorite short story in the Éowyn Challenge Third House Contest.

BlingBling and I were walking by the sea the past two weekends. I know the sea and the sound of the gulls is dangerous for elves but we had a thoroughly enjoyable time (beautiful weather for a change).

After the sunshine, tangy sea air and sand in our toes it is very difficult to get motivated enough to walk during the evenings in the rain (we have had rain for three days now). Oh well, we need to add to our mileage so I guess we will be getting wet tonight. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 09:04 PM   #980
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

We have passed the Ford and are headed south into the Wild. The terrain is quite rugged now and our progress slow, especially since we are walking at night. But Strider knows this land well, and we have seen no sign of pursuit. Frodo spent a great deal of time with Bilbo at Rivendell, and it seems to have lifted his spirits greatly. He appears to have fully recovered from his wound and to be quite himself again.

--------------------

"Just a plain hobbit you look," said Bilbo. "But there is more about you now than appears on the surface. Good luck to you!" He turned away and looked out of the window, trying to hum a tune.

"I cannot thank you as I should, Bilbo, for this, and for all your past kindnesses," said Frodo.

"Don't try!" said the old hobbit, turning round and slapping him on the back. "Ow!" he cried. "You are too hard now to slap! But there you are: Hobbits must stick together, and especially Bagginses. All I ask in return is: take as much care of yourself as you can, and bring back all the news you can, and any old songs and tales you can come by. I'll do my best to finish my book before you return. I should like to write the second book, if I am spared."
Old 09-05-2003, 08:05 AM   #981
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At last I'm to the Old Forest!
I'm back at school now, so my mileage should (potentially) skyrocket. I feel like Sam, with a huge pack containing everything we might possibly have a use for. I can't wait to get to Lothlorien, Lembas will be such a welcome change from Power Bars!
Old 09-05-2003, 09:02 PM   #982
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Good show, Pyroclastic! I'm right behind you at Crickhollow, taking a much needed bath...with Pippin! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm not sure which of us is splashing more! Best of luck! I think I should also learn to make lembas for the longer treks ahead...

Legolas: Lembas, the waybread of the Elves... One bite can fill the stomach of a grown man.
Merry to Pippin: How many did you eat?
Pippin (belching contentedly): Four...
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
Old 09-06-2003, 12:12 AM   #983
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I am still running, but I have lost track of my miles. I think I am probably somewhere in the 510-520 area because I have been running a lot recently.
I will try to determine though how far I am to Lorien. I have come this far, I might as well go all the way [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 09-06-2003, 09:25 AM   #984
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
YES!!! I'm at 20-something.90-somethin miles!! ^ ^;;; (wow I'm descriptive- -;; ) Well I feel a bit bettert now... a bit..^ ^
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:14 PM   #985
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If those doggoned black riders were defeated at the ford, why did I see three of them today? Maybe I'm feverish and hallucinating. At least that would explain my dismal progress.

I thought folks who collapsed at the ford got a free ride to Rivendell. No such luck. Weeeeellll, one quarter mile at a time...
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:29 PM   #986
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Heh, I've been working on this for a while, but have only now gotten around to posting on the thread... But right now I am resting contentedly at Crickhollow (73) with Pippin. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sorry Lyta, but you're gonna hafta share him... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Hi Naz! Nice to see you're on your way; I'll walk slower so you can catch up! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Where are you right now?

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-07-2003, 10:07 AM   #987
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

27.47 miles... I have no clue where I am... lost most likey... - -
Old 09-07-2003, 02:32 PM   #988
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Walking at night is a bit more pleasant for me, but we get in less walking. We've crossed the Ford, and are in the Wild once more.
We have walked 491 miles.
It is 34 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 431 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:58 PM   #989
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

I continue to make slow progress along the road. Strider told me I had some kind of flame burning in me when I rushed ahead about a week or two ago, and he thinks it's gone. He's wrong, however. I want to walk, but I'm finding it rather difficult, as I have another foot injury (which is in reality a very small, barely perceptible glass-cut, but despite its small size it is very hard to put weight on that foot without feeling a nasty pain run up my leg). Hopefully neither Strider nor the Hobbits will think I'm injuring myself on purpose for an excuse. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I walked half a mile today, and then my foot gave out (I was not trying to walk on the glass-cut, I was walking on my toes, which is almost as bad after half a mile) and I stopped. It's feeling a little better now, so maybe I can do that other half mile? Strider would be pleased.

EDIT: Mileage list updated! 8 and 10 were popular numbers for miles walked since last update. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 07, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 09-07-2003, 06:56 PM   #990
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
Maybe I'm feverish and hallucinating. At least that would explain my dismal progress.
I thought folks who collapsed at the ford got a free ride to Rivendell. No such luck. Weeeeellll, one quarter mile at a time...
Come on, Linnamalle, don't give up! You're almost there...I think I can! I think I can!

Strider and Gandalf feel we are travelling much too slowly. They say that we got lazy while we were in Rivendell. (I think it's that dwarf that's slowing us down!) The weather has been wet, cold & windy...not the best conditions for tramping through the wild at night. However, even though the Riders were unhorsed at the Ford, the Enemy has many servants and we dare not travel by daylight.

--------------------

It was a cold grey day near the end of December. The East Wind was streaming through the bare branches of the trees, and seething in the dark pines on the hills. Ragged clouds were hurrying overhead, dark and low. As the cheerless shadows of the early evening began to fall the Company made ready to set out. They were to start at dusk, for Elrond counselled them to journey under cover of night as often as they could, until they were far from Rivendell.

"You should fear the many eyes of the servants of Sauron," he said. "I do not doubt that news of the discomfiture of the Riders has already reached him, and he will be filled with wrath. Soon now his spies on foot and wing will be abroad in the northern lands. Even of the sky above you must beware as you go on your way."
Old 09-08-2003, 03:36 AM   #991
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alatariel, you are a certified Sweetie. Thanks for the encouragement.

I did another mile yesterday. One furry foot in front of the other... I travel this weekend. Sigh! Still, maybe I can get to Rivendell by then. Although I doubt USAir will be serving elven feast-food on the plane!!

(edit)
Yippee, a good day today! Three miles to go.

[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: Linnamalle ]
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:01 PM   #992
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Naz, you just passed where the Black Rider showed up the first time. Chilling experience, I'm sure. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Say "hi" to Gildor when you see him. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~*~*~*~*

Still at Crickhollow. We're planning on setting out this evening, even if we don't end up getting very far. Merry says it's only five miles to the edge of the Old Forest, so it shouldn't take too long to get there.

I'm feeling a bit apprehensive; I've heard far too many stories about the Old Forest to be comfortable about going in there. But Pippin, as usual, is being my pillar of strength. He's so self-confident, and it seems to rub off on me.

I hope we get through this alright...

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-08-2003, 01:26 PM   #993
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

The last few nights have been windy and rainy, with an additional cold wind. The Elf and the Dwarf never stop bickering, and I can hear them sometimes in the night.
Today we didn't walk much, because I have a severe stomach pain. Maybe tomorrow!
You have walked 493 miles.
You have passed Fords of Bruinen (480).
It is 32 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 429 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.
Keep it up, all of you! You'll make it to Rivendell!
Old 09-08-2003, 03:59 PM   #994
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

O_o;;; Rider...??

*Pippin jumps her* Pip: I TOLD YOU TO WALK FAST!!!!

Me:O.O;;; 29.62 mi. & counting! I love me pedometer~ I refresh it each day. So far today I've done 2.90 miles~!

Do you guys think I can make it...?
Old 09-08-2003, 08:21 PM   #995
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Yep. Bone-chilling, huh? I'll tell them to be nice to you if you run into them again... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

*~*~*~*~

We were delayed by a sudden thunderstorm. It should pass by tomorrow, and so we'll start out early morning if the rain lets up. In any case, we'll be out of Crickhollow by two in the afternoon, at the latest.

I do admit that the delay in starting is not wholly unwelcome. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-08-2003, 09:43 PM   #996
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Well, I got impatient and walked my weary dog three times around the neighborhood... but it was worth it, at least I think so! I'm at Rivendell! Ah, the singing! And this decaf Mocha is pretty good too!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:48 PM   #997
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Congratulations, Linnamalle! *applauds enthusiastically* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-09-2003, 03:29 PM   #998
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Dense fog delayed our start this morning, but I got in at least ten extra minutes of sleep. Gandalf pushed us on just after dawn, even though 'twas still foggy.
We have walked 496 miles.
It is 29 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 426 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.
Congrats Linnamalle! I'll see you on the road.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:20 PM   #999
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Congrats Linnamalle!!

me: 32.78 miles in all

oday alone: 5.08 miles & counting!
Old 09-09-2003, 04:55 PM   #1000
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Congratulations, Linnamalle!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] (I knew you could! I knew you could!) Be sure to visit the hot spring while you're there...fabulous for relaxing and easing sore & tired muscles.

We trudged along in the dark again last night. The wind has died down somewhat, so it was actually quite pleasant walking in the moonlight...except for all that dwarvish racket! Huffing and puffing (and grumbling and dratting)--most annoying. We were able to reach the 500 mile point before stopping this morning.

--------------------

The Company took little gear of war, for their hope was in secrecy not in battle. Aragorn had Andúril but no other weapon...Boromir had a long sword, in fashion like Andúril but of less lineage, and he bore also a shield and his war-horn...Gimli the dwarf alone wore openly a short shirt of steel-rings, for dwarves make light of burdens; and in his belt was a broad-bladed axe. Legolas had a bow and a quiver, and at his belt a long white knife. The younger hobbits wore the swords that they had taken from the barrow; but Frodo took only Sting; and his mail-coat, as Bilbo wished, remained hidden. Gandalf bore his staff, but girt at his side was the elven-sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that lay now upon the breast of Thorin under the Lonely Mountain.