The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #841
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

News for dead people.

Special thanks to Squatter for some mini headlines.

This week, The Phantom gets fed up.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 04-14-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:49 AM   #842
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Oh no...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #843
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I wonder... How can a faded elf even hold money?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #844
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Wonderful! When I saw the picture I first thought "oh dear, now he wrote something very stupid" but that's great. The medal... Haha!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #845
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
The medal... Haha!
A Victoria Cross, dontchaknow!

Wait, what do you mean, "something very stupid"? It's quality journalism, sir!
Old 04-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #846
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I started laughing before I even read the story. Very inciteful Hookbill, I never knew that Thinlomien and Volo are assasins, as well as animal fanatics! Hail to the hero Gil-Glad.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 04-15-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #847
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë
I wonder... How can a faded elf even hold money?
Exactly, he has no case whatsoever. My arguments will be successful; the high court has no choice but to agree with me.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #848
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
There is no truth to the rumour that Bethberry was promoted to MP in charge of Shoes, previously Under-secretary of State Sheds, because her nom de la vie is Imelda Marcos.

Thank you.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #849
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
There is no truth to the rumour that Bethberry was promoted to MP in charge of Shoes, previously Under-secretary of State Sheds, because her nom de la vie is Imelda Marcos.

Thank you.
Ohhhh, thank goodness! That brings me so much relief.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #850
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up A quick notice type thing-e-me-bob

As those of you who read my (rarely updated) blog may well know, I am going into the hospital a week on Wednesday for surgery and will be 'recovering' or whatever on the following day which is, alas, the Barrow Downs birthday. My brother and I will try and get the Phantom and Alien cartoon done before then, but it may well turn up late.

Moreover, the doctors say there could be 'complications' and they may have to call me back, probably on the Monday. This means I may miss posting the paper that week, (it'll be week # 095). My current line of thinking is to either post it up earlier, just in case, or to farm it out to someone (probably the phantom or someone else who has been 'involved' in the Downer) to post up for you all to read.

The bad news is that there is a chance (a very small, almost negligible, chance) that the surgery could prove fatal. I'm going to try and be about three weeks ahead at that point, so I may send whoever the three advanced weeks to keep you all in Downery goodness.

But before you crack open the champagne and party poppers, this is the absolute worse case scenario and is almost certain not to happen... Although knowing my luck...
Old 04-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #851
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
That sounds unpleasant, Hookbill. I hope it goes well and you 'recover' swiftly.

On the bright side...do you get general anesthetic? Because I was put under when I had my wisdom teeth out and it was the most fun I'd had in a long time.

Let us know what we can do to help with the Downer.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #852
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Back in the tick of nime.

Special thanks to the phantom once again for some excellent work on the second story and the mini-headlines

Alien finds some magic this week!

News on the Barrow Birthday thing...

I've given my brother the story board for another cartoon about the Phantom and Alien and he says it will be relatively easy to put together. I'm going to get the voice of Alien done before I got to hospital and hope that he puts it all together while I'm under the knife. Since the Barrow Birthday is on the Thursday when I may be 'recovering' or whatever, the cartoon may not be posted until the Friday, so I hope you peoples are okay with that. I'm hoping they let me 'recover' at home. If that is the case, then posting it won't be a problem.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #853
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Yum, a magical sandwich. That was probably one of my favourite P&As.

Also, good luck with the surgery.

Last edited by Eönwë; 04-22-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #854
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Haha, after Lommy stuck her head in that cannon I said to her, "Now I'm sure Hookbill will come up with a lovely story to go along with that picture in the Downer."
Her response: Oh no....

Oh, and a comment about one of the previous week's sub-headlines:

Quote:
Pandas invented sneezing say environmentalists
I couldn't help but be reminded of this video.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #855
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Best wishes, Hookbill. I must say, you're being very brave about this operation-thing. The one time I had (extremely minor) surgery, I was a total wimp.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #856
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Yes, best of luck, Hookbill. Tell the operators that they have to do everything perfectly. I mean- surely they understand how important The Downer is to the world. They wouldn't dare to damage its publisher/ editor/ chief writer/ lead reporter/ owner/ printer!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #857
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Oh, and Nerwen- rumor has it that you will be featured in an article here in a week or two.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #858
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Best wishes, Hookbill. I must say, you're being very brave about this operation-thing. The one time I had (extremely minor) surgery, I was a total wimp.
There really is only one thing going through my mind about it...

Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 AM   #859
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Oh come now, Hookbill, don't be so pessimistic! Even the worst surgeons known to humankind will be experts compared to Alien.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #860
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Urpdoyt

I went to the hospital for a 'pre-op' thingy-me-bob and got some news..
They say that the whole thing will be over very quickly; I'll go into the hospital on Tuesday and wait until I go to theatre either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. I will very likely be able to go home on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning.
Why am I telling you this?
Because the NEW Phantom and Alien cartoon is set for release on Thursday (the Barrow Birthday) and I want to be here to post it. Although, if things go wrong, I may ask my brother to post it up in some way or another. I don't know.

So, that's the long and short o' it. Risk of death 0.02%, risk of annoyance 97.3%

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 04-25-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #861
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Once again I lack the ability to fall asleep, so for some of you this Downer may be a day early or whatever. But it is technically Monday here in Blighty...

More thanks to the phantom for the second story and mini headlines.

This week, Alien goes magic... I should have given him his pointy hat again.

Moreover, we are 5 weeks away from week 100!!! If you have anything you would like included in the extra special, five page edition of The Downer, then PM it to me. You can send; pictures, 5-600 word articles, puzzles or even little cartoons (not P&A, mind... They're MINE!).

Also, Oxonmooters, you may also PM me some stuff for the Moot edition. It will be 5 or six pages long as well.

Have fun, peoples!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #862
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Poor Volo! Still, I'm glad to see that Aganzir is there to carry on his legacy! That's when you find who your friends are, way'ta go Aganzir (just don't kill me).

I'm thrilled from my toes to my eyebrows, I was mentioned in the Downer! Thise IS an honor beyond belief!

Best of luck with the surgery Hookbill, I hope all goes well.

P.S. Thank you for describing me as a dwarf, Phantom, I really appreciated that bit!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #863
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thank you, thank you, Phantom. You have given meaning to my otherwise pointless existence!

Last edited by Nerwen; 04-27-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #864
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I went to the hospital for a 'pre-op' thingy-me-bob and got some news..
They say that the whole thing will be over very quickly; I'll go into the hospital on Tuesday and wait until I go to theatre either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. I will very likely be able to go home on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning.
Why am I telling you this?
Because the NEW Phantom and Alien cartoon is set for release on Thursday (the Barrow Birthday) and I want to be here to post it. Although, if things go wrong, I may ask my brother to post it up in some way or another. I don't know.

So, that's the long and short o' it. Risk of death 0.02%, risk of annoyance 97.3%
Here's a little something to while away the hours while you wait for the lights to dim in that theatre, Hookbill: Surgical Theatre. Let's hope that it is critics who have the unkindest cuts.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:37 AM   #865
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
About what happened in week 94: I would like a re-match, I am sure the referees where baised.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:43 AM   #866
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Here's a little something to while away the hours while you wait for the lights to dim in that theatre, Hookbill: Surgical Theatre. Let's hope that it is critics who have the unkindest cuts.
... I think I preferred Alien with a chainsaw.

However, this is the perfect opportunity for people to suggest obituaries to put the paper, isn't it?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #867
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Haha, this time The Downer just totally got me Especially the Phantom's article and the first five headlines (I experienced an uncontrollable outbreak of laughter when reading that ), and also, the comics!!!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #868
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

So, did anyone figure out the trivia question? It's a tricky one.

Nerwen and Groin- glad to be of service.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #869
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
This was the first time I read the Downer in the school library and yes, I laughed.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #870
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
So, did anyone figure out the trivia question? It's a tricky one.
It obviously, couldn't be the Witch-King, and I can't think of any other kings so I think I'll go with, erm, Cirdan?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #871
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye long live Hookbill...

The Grand Admiral of The Downer is temporarily out of action, but so strong is Hookbill's will that even all the doctors in the world cannot stop his printing press.

Special thanks to someone or other for the mini-headlines and second story.

This week Phantom is thankful that Alien's outlandishness has manifest itself in a nondestructive manner.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #872
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

the phantom out of ideas? That's impossible.

But that no harm of any sort came to Phantom in this week's comic...it seems biased.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #873
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
the phantom out of ideas? That's impossible.
Not necessarily. Right this second, for instance, I couldn't think up an idea to save my life. I've been getting very little sleep for the last week and a half. But next week... ahh... semester over.

And Eonwe, no sorry, you got the trivia question wrong. It's okay, it's a tough one. Here's a hint- look at the capitalized word. Heh heh... but something tells me you already knew that.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 AM   #874
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Just so everyone knows, I'm back from hospital and all the important government business I had to attend to.

We've run into some problems encoding The Phantom and Alien cartoon into video, but as soon as it's fixed it'll be up for your viewing pleasure.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 AM   #875
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
All hail the return of Hookbill! Glad everything went well dearie!

~~Sally~~
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #876
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nice to see you're only dead on the Downs!
It is indeed good to have you back, Hookbill!

Btw, nice P&A edition, finally one where Alien is the one to suffer for a change... although he may actually be feeling good after that given how strange he normally is.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #877
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Yay!
Hookbill has returned. I·Hookbill antúlien! (Legate will tell me if thats right. He knows all).

Its very nice to see you back after so many years (In Downs-time).
Old 05-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #878
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Ladies and gentlewights,

Sorry it's a bit late, but here, at last, to celebrate the Barrow Downs Birthday, is another Phantom and Alien cartoon:

THE PHANTOM'S JOB HUNT

Before you click, check out this preview picture fo no reason:

The sound is a bit crackly. Not sure why. We tried everything to fix it.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 05-07-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #879
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles get entertained.

The last line was my favorite ;P.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #880
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

P&A never fails to make me laugh, and these animations are even funnier than normal.