Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page |
01-29-2008, 07:52 AM | #681 |
Shade with a Blade
|
I forgot all about this. I've got all the words translated, but I haven't made them fit yet.
01-29-2008, 08:07 AM | #682 |
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
Well, until you post the correct answer along with where this quote comes from, everyone has the chance to claim the victory.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories |
02-05-2008, 11:16 AM | #683 |
Woman of Secret Shadow
|
I don't know about some others, but I'd like a hint.
You could, for example, translate that dakryous there.
02-05-2008, 11:43 AM | #684 |
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
That's exactly the one I would like to keep hidden as long as possible. Would you mind picking something else?
Well, I can tell you it's a noun. A plural noun. And it is the object of the sentence (of "ymeis", that it). That much has to suffice.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories |
02-05-2008, 05:53 PM | #685 |
Banshee of Camelot
|
I guess it must be this:
Dakryous myriona ymeis ekcheeite; kai _____ peribalousin _______ kata ymas, kai ekbalousin ymas exo, ina mete echo tou odyrmou ymon metabesetai dia ton oron. "Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains" (Since I work in a medical profession I recognized "Dacryo" as refering to tears )
02-06-2008, 02:05 AM | #686 |
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
Goood, good! Very good! Yes, that's what I thought - someone may know some words from elsewhere Well done, Guinevere, your turn!
02-07-2008, 03:41 PM | #687 | |
Banshee of Camelot
|
Thank you, Legate! Btw, this was interesting, I didn't know what "Koine Greek" was, and so I looked it up . It's amazing how many languages you know!!
Unfortunately I am not able to bring something so exotic, and am lazy to boot, so it'll be plain German today. (If too easy, I'll bring up Swissgerman again next time ) Quote:
02-09-2008, 03:12 PM | #688 |
Woman of Secret Shadow
|
Just to make sure
Is the book Lotr or some other? I just can't remember where something like that was.
02-09-2008, 03:52 PM | #689 |
Banshee of Camelot
|
Its from LotR alright. ( from RotK to be precise; if that's any help to you )
02-09-2008, 04:16 PM | #690 |
Odinic Wanderer
|
My first post in this thread since the 22nd October 2006
garr that just confuses me even more. . .I really need to brush up my german.
|
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM | #691 | |
Woman of Secret Shadow
|
Thanks, it did.
Quote:
02-10-2008, 04:20 PM | #692 |
Banshee of Camelot
|
Yep, that's it, Aganzir.
02-11-2008, 09:37 AM | #693 | |
Woman of Secret Shadow
|
Shall we have some Swedish, then?
Quote:
02-11-2008, 09:52 AM | #694 | |
Shady She-Penguin
|
Quote:
02-11-2008, 09:56 AM | #695 |
Woman of Secret Shadow
|
It's that, and don't look at me. I admit taking it from the Swedish translation instead of translating myself. *insert angelic smilie*
02-16-2008, 09:10 AM | #696 | |
Shady She-Penguin
|
Okay, some Finnish.
Quote:
02-19-2008, 04:37 PM | #697 | |||
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
After a long and hard work, and with a little help from a walking dictionary called Aganzir, I have it. I asked just for a few words, though, I think three or so (tule, muuta/muut and kuule). Otherwise, there were just confirmations whether my finds were correct (and mostly, they were not).
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 02-19-2008 at 04:41 PM. |
|||
02-20-2008, 06:20 AM | #698 |
Shady She-Penguin
|
The first quote is, of course, right but the second one made me laugh hysterically. But anyway, it's your thread.
02-22-2008, 06:32 AM | #699 | |
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
A quick parting shot...
Quote:
|
02-22-2008, 09:45 AM | #700 | |
Deadnight Chanter
|
Smíšek :D
Quote:
I'll be checking in and out for your confirmation today in case you aren't gone yet, otherwise I'll look back here in a week
02-22-2008, 01:18 PM | #701 |
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
Lucky you Yes, that's right. You may continue. Now I can leave with mind completely clean of unfulfiled duties
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM | #702 | |
Deadnight Chanter
|
clever me, rather
Russian, since I'm too lazy to trouble myself with something more obscure (and Georgian would be way too obscure I guess) Quote:
03-16-2008, 12:19 PM | #703 | |
Silver in My Silent Heart
|
Quote:
EDIT: Ah, looks like one can't post just a quote on its own. Ok, nothing then. Last edited by Volo; 03-16-2008 at 12:25 PM. |
|
03-16-2008, 12:40 PM | #704 |
Deadnight Chanter
|
Limit was always there since we moved from Ezboard I beleive
As for the quote - right you are Volo
03-16-2008, 12:48 PM | #705 | |
|
Ok, great!
Quote:
Last edited by Volo; 03-17-2008 at 01:31 PM. |
|
03-16-2008, 02:20 PM | #706 |
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
Am I allowed to answer? Not that Ukrainian is that similar to Czech, but...
03-17-2008, 01:25 PM | #707 | |
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
All right. Whatever. It's a lovely quote, and appropriate at this time, anyway
Quote:
|
03-17-2008, 01:32 PM | #708 |
|
Sure, your turn.
|
03-21-2008, 04:18 PM | #709 | ||
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
Time for some koine Greek again...
Quote:
Quote:
||
05-03-2008, 12:15 PM | #710 |
Woman of Secret Shadow
|
What about a hint?
05-03-2008, 01:25 PM | #711 |
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
Oh my, now what was the original quote *tries to decipher - oh, how good I wrote the Greek script there...*¨
Aaah yeees, I know now! hémeis/hémon - a form of "we" or "us" (the second being "our") hodou - road or way chóra - land And again, I will suggest you try to look for words which, or whose parts would seem familiar to you. Right now I see at least two, one of which is quite obvious, another has a root inside it which can be thought of... possibly.
06-08-2008, 02:13 PM | #712 |
Banshee of Camelot
|
I haven't forgotten this, I keep looking at it from time to time .
I found or guessed several words (those you gave I had already found) but others remain mysterious and the whole thing doesn't ring a bell. (It took some time til I found that it has nothing to do with Háma!) Here's what I get until now: Simultaniously (....) we carried of the road (....) setting of the sun and from afar found (....) land where heart... (....) both stop again (....) Perhaps someone else can make sense of this...
06-08-2008, 02:31 PM | #713 |
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
It's actually very good and very close. I am sure someone could see the original quote in that.
06-08-2008, 04:14 PM | #714 | |
Banshee of Camelot
|
Now you confirmed my guesses and I look at it again, it suddenly does ring a bell!! Is it the end of the Ent & Entwife song? Quote:
06-08-2008, 04:20 PM | #715 |
A Voice That Gainsayeth
|
Definitely Well done! The thread is yours.
06-20-2008, 03:36 PM | #716 |
Banshee of Camelot
|
Thank you, Legate!
Since Aganzir's German is too good I'll try Swiss-German dialect to make it more challenging. "Ich bi sicher du häsch mir s'aller schwärste Züg gä. Ich ha Verbarme mit Schnägge, und allne wo ihri Hüser uf ihrem Rugge träged."
06-25-2008, 12:51 AM | #717 |
Scion of The Faithful
Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
|
A tad too challenging . . .
I see a lot of German, a bit of French, and a swarm of things that I need to check avec meinen Freundins großes Wörterbuch.
06-25-2008, 02:02 PM | #718 | |
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
|
Quote:
Frodo to Sam: "I am sure you have given me all the heaviest stuff. I pity snails, and all that carry their homes on their backs." A funny dialect with some near-Dutch sounding words. |
|
06-26-2008, 01:38 PM | #719 |
Banshee of Camelot
|
That's it!
Well done, Cailin!
Swiss German dialect has some things in common with Dutch, like the guttural "ch" sound.
06-30-2008, 12:13 AM | #720 |
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
|
New quotation
''Blijf hier maar zitten ... en kijk uit over de landen waar kommer en kwel zal neerkomen op degenen die jij aan mij hebt uitgeleverd. Want jij hebt het gewaagd me te bespotten.''
Hopefully in the future I'll have time to translate a part into another language, but as I have no time at the moment, this is what you're getting. |
|
|