The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #561
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Peony had rubbed goodly amounts of Bug Dope onto all her exposed skin before the Fellowship entered the Midgewater Marshes, and endured their jokes about keeping upwind of her in silence. By day's end, they had all sidled up to her and whispered in her ear: "Can you spare me a daub o' that Bug Dope, Peony?"
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:45 PM   #562
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tigerlily, I've been quite lazy lately as well. I've managed to get to Bree (159) but it rained all day today. Luckily, I can swim.

Has anyone heard the version of "Lukey's Boat" by Great Big Sea f. the Chieftains? Great song. Better with the Chieftains.

[EDIT] I was too lazy to read the front page, so I didn't know to do the senses.

SIGHT: My gym teacher going to the hospital, she was wearing a bright yellow jacket.
HEARING: The woman (Dr. DeKlerk) who gave me a ride home was listening to Nirvana. She's about 35 years old! Listening to Nirvana! It was so cool!
SMELL: It stank like worms and earth, for they were all out in the rain.
TASTE: The aftertaste of Ritz Bits Cheese Sandwiches in the back of my throat.
TOUCH: The rain pelting down, cold and hard, on my face, head, arms, legs, and feet. Also my cold, wet socks and rocks in my shoes poking my feet.

mark12_30, that sounds like a LOT of fun! I hope we do it soon!

Must...do...more...miles...

[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:02 PM   #563
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Well I think I will tell you about the environment around me while I was doing my part of the journey today...

Sight: There was a firetruck that went by, and also many other people. I was in an athletic club on a treadmill. Additionally four televisions up above showing mainly news channels.
Sound: The constant shrill of treadmills, sometimes loud, sometimes quiet, depending on how many people are in the building, not that much talking.
Smell: Sweat! Is that discription enough? It was clean though.
Taste: Salty and dry, I was running
Touch: It was warm inside with a cool breeze from the fans, I was sweaty

I was very proud because I ran a full 2 1/4 miles in about 20 minutes at 5.6 miles per hour [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 09:37 PM   #564
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Still no sign of Strider. I hope Butterbur didn't forget to give him my message. It could be hazardous trying to cross the Marshes without a guide, but I may have to if he doesn't hurry.

--------------------

On the third day out from Bree they came out of the Chetwood. The land had been falling steadily, ever since they turned aside from the Road, and they now entered a wide flat expanse of country, much more difficult to manage. They were far beyond the borders of the Bree-land, out in the pathless wilderness, and drawing near to the Midgewater Marshes.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:30 PM   #565
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Sophia hasn't checked in for a while, too busy gloating over her PT and enjoying the hospitality of Tom and Goldberry.

Tom danced all night, and Sophia taught him a few steps they do in Northern Maine (Sorry, Helen, Nuru, and Lyra- I don't do Scottish or Irish, but French Canadian folk dancing likely has some similar elements... I bet hobbits would enjoy it.) When they finished dancing with flushed faces, late into the night, Goldberry gave Sophia a large mug of iced tea (mmmm....) and sent her to bed in a nice soft featherbed (where she overslept and missed work [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ). The next morning, seeiing that she had more than enough free time, Sophia spent an hour and a half walking and covered four miles (From: will soon be updated).

Sights: the kids that are on campus for soccer camp running through knee deep puddles, the blacktop going by under my feet.

Sounds: the soccer kids screeching, someone's dog howling, the fountain in the pond (which I can't see from the track) splashing.

Smells: the brewery in town (ugh).

Touch: a light rain on my hair.

Taste: water, this elf's determined to drink more of it.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:40 PM   #566
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I got off to a much slower start than I had hoped. I had to work from 7:30-10:30, go to class from 11:00-12:35, back to work from 1:00-2:30, and to my other job from 3:00-11:00.

I got to jog a little in the morning, but my only time to go for a long, long jog was when I got home from work, but it started storming really bad right when I started. I covered a mere eight miles today. That means that I could still see Hobbiton but one mile ago. I believe Shadowfax is beating me thus far.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:09 AM   #567
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Peony's alter ego took notes (while Peony was feeling all smug about remembering the Bug Dope) on the Senses used while walking:
Sight-deep green grass and leaves (from all the rain), blue-gray clouds (in Pacific NW they seemed much whiter, even when obscuring sun--I THOUGHT cloudy days seemed much brighter there, at least in spring), dots of color from summer flowers emerging in gardens. Friendly hobbits working in their gardens. No Black Riders of any kind spotted.
Sound--roar of lawnmowers!
Smell--pine-hemlock bark mulch [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Having a hay fever week, so it's hard to detect subtle scents.
Touch--SWEAT! rolling down my back, in my hair (feels good to lift off my hat for a moment and fluff it up to cool off). It was not hot, but humid that day. And the Alter Ego can sweat very easily, being at the Power Surge age. Luckily, no large populations of biting insects were out, so I didn't even need Peony's Bug Dope.
Taste--water, sour balls (for dry mouth--must remember to try to breathe through nose, must remember...err, what was it I was supposed to do?)
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
Old 06-10-2003, 08:15 AM   #568
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Quote:
35 years old! Listening to Nirvana
Hmmm. I'm 41, but I prefer Creed. I think my favorite hobbits would too. (Well, I know Bolco and Lindo do.) (And Third Day, and The Holiness Project, and ... those rowdy hobbits. Lindo sings along quietly, but Bolco turns it up REALLY loud.)

Gorwingel, great time on those miles! Attahobbit!

Sophia the Thunder Mistress, aka Scent of Simbelmyne---- French Canadian steps? You're on. French Canada does have some scottish influence; there are similarities. Cape Breton-- OOOO!!! OOOOO!!!

Besides, at a Ceili, everybody brings something to play, share or teach-- you bring some french canadian dances. We'll have the most diverse Springle Ring hobbits have ever danced.

Honestly, I'm thinking of starting a Hobbit-Ceili thread. People could post dance diagrams or directions... dance tunes... song lyrics... links to MP3s or WAV files... What do y'all think? If it's good, we can turn it into a web page.

[ June 10, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-10-2003, 01:02 PM   #569
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Sophia hasn't checked in for a while, too busy gloating over her PT
Gets you like that doesn't it?

Quote:
(Sorry, Helen, Nuru, and Lyra- I don't do Scottish or Irish, but French Canadian folk dancing likely has some similar elements...
I know someone who used to do Irish and Breton, which she said are very similar, so if French-Canadian is similar... We may have enough for the fourhand now! Yay Sophia!

Oh, a Hobbit ceili thread sounds great but I think I would get confused. Hmm...let me check. If I said stamp-down-treble-in-front-treble-hop-back-treble-hop-back would that mean anything to anyone? And do you call a "drum" the same thing as me? Or do we have inter-continental difficulties?

[ June 10, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:12 PM   #570
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hmmm, Lyra, I think you're right; we need to define terms first. We'll need an Irish list and a scottish list and a french canadien list... golly, hobbits are complicated! Elvish dances are easier! We could have links to diagrams. Or pictures. Or movies!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

For the irish stuff you could do clips of appropriate steps from Riverdance. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #571
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

You have walked 246 miles.
You have reached the Weather Hills (246).
It is 12 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 212 miles to Rivendell.

246...getting there!
I wonder how many miles I'll have by the time ROTK comes out. Maybe Ill get to Lorien
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM   #572
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

On the subject of dance, is anyone acquainted with the dances from Arbeau's Orcesographie? They are French (obviously) dating from 1599, but a lot of folk people in the UK (and the US, I believe) use the collection as a great source of old dances. The Branles feel quite vigorous and hobbity....
Old 06-11-2003, 02:37 AM   #573
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Quote:
Not good for your feets, your ankles, your legs, or your back.
Well, they look 5-inch to me, but they're actually 4 (sheesh, as if). But I have adapted to those heels (but then again, I can choose to be myu own, happy, 5-foot, two self [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) I planned to do same route again today, but rush hour means traffic and traffic means smoke...forgive me for doubting the refuge of trees: It may run late as I head home. But I'll be walking a mile anyway. *looks as the sneakers adorning her feet*

I've been walking around the mall anyway, so I guess that's give or take 6 miles? Maybe I'll add those miles.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:58 AM   #574
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

The second contest is up at the Eowyn Challenge site. Read about it here. And think hard about what you're going to enter! The prize is "nothing but glory"... (and publicity for the Downs.)

We'll be receiving our own Barrow-Wight-On-Horseback logo when their artist can spare the time. I told Kally that the locally accepted Barrow-Wight was a green penguin, but we'll see what the artist comes up with.

If you want to enter your mileage in the database, you can do that too! Our shield color for the Barrow-Downs is Black (green, alas, was already taken.)

EDIT

On another "note", I have started a Hobbit Ceili Dance thread! Dancers, post your descriptions. If I cannot understand them, or someone else with a beginning level of dance experience states that they cannot understand them, I will PM you with a request to edit or clarify. But don't be intimidated by that-- the clarification will probably be a team effort, and I am willing to work with dancers on this to produce a quality result. We may end up developing a dancers' glossary: what's a cut, what's a bouree, what's a treble, etc.

So I'm hoping for entries at least from Lalaith, Lyra Greenleaf, Nurumaiel, and Sophia the Scent of Simbelmynė. ...Right?

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-11-2003, 08:37 AM   #575
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Well, I'm signing up here as soon as our shield is up!

It's been storming all morning, so I've been restricted to my mom's treadmill. Alas, I've gotten in five miles so far today, putting me at 169: 3 miles from an abandoned robber's den.

EDIT:
If I could find me 'da's digital camera, I could record myself doing some of my Irish steps my grandma taught me and pull 'em up for everyone.

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 09:30 AM   #576
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

ArwenBaggins, GREAT idea. You're on! (Here's hoping you find that camera.)
Old 06-11-2003, 02:44 PM   #577
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

A Hobbit ceili! what a grand idea! This Hobbit requests dancing lessons, however, as she has trouble remembering steps until she's done them a lot [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] .

I'll see what I can bring in the way of Celtic dance music files.

Off to slosh through some more of the Marshes. Every time I start off, it seems to start pouring at the 2 mile mark, and me without my rain cloak!
-The Return of the King
Old 06-11-2003, 03:10 PM   #578
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Chetwood! Chetwood! I'm finally in Chetwood! YAY!

I have no dancing experience. Well, I sort of do. I can do a really horrible version of this Mexican dance I know. But you don't want to see it. No, no you don't.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:23 PM   #579
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

On June 9th we packed our bags and it was off to visit the 4y/o in the hospital at San Francisco. That morning, before we left, I walked another mile in 15 minutes. While there I walk 4 more. 5 miles in one day! The next day I walked another five miles, and felt exceedingly proud of myself for walking 10 miles in just 2 days.

Helen, that's so great! Please let us know when the Barrow-Downs is up on the site so I can register. It will be great fun. I think I'll let the second House Contest pass me by, for that's not the kind of thing I can do at least fairly well.

Thank you so much, BW! I'm looking at earlier miles on the progress tracker and it's great to see that there won't be anymore 'being stuck in Bywater' days. Oh, wait, those days have long passed me now.

I will check out your Ceili thread, Helen. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Is it already three o' clock? I ahve to get out of here and start walking!
Old 06-11-2003, 04:40 PM   #580
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

AH-HA!

I have at least made 4 & three-fourths mi.!!! It's not *very* good, but I guess it's OK... I'm gonna go find out where I am... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

PS: Is there any way at all to know how far you're walking? Without measuring??

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Naz ]

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Naz ]
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #581
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Well, I have finally gotten a move on...a bit...lemme see...my travel log: WHERE MIDDLE EARTH MEETS THE LIFE OF A 13 (almost 14) YEAR OLD GIRL TO CREATE AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY FILLED WITH EDGE-OF-YOU-SEAT ACTION!! *pictures of random endangered animals flash on teh screen*

Yeah...that's make a rad commercial...yeah...rad...or somewhat... Well, here is the unbelievable story full of...action...

June 6th - My life is slow and boring, and the summer heat doesn't help. I walked over to rent a video, there and back again, moving only a quarter of a mile on my feet. Then I went another .8 of a mile down to the grocery store. I had to pick out flowers for my lovely teachers, who help me so much *cue grimace*. Of course, I didn't make it back without dropping my favorite ones, the yellow mums! (well, I liked the cactus too, but...) I bent over to pick them up only to find myself looking at a foot, armored in spiky black armor (it looked much like rubber to me, but...). I looked up to find a black hooded head...without a head...or something of that sort... I picked up my yellow mums (quite pitiful looking now) and...I screamed. Then I ran .2 of a mile, screaming most of the way. After that I walked another 196.17 feet before deciding to make camp or...whatever...

June 10 - I made camp, sat down, or whatever, and didn't want to get up. That was four days ago, and now I am finally moving again. It took another encounter with a rubber armor covered foot and a hooded head without a head to get me to, but I have. But, I only moved 865.6 feet. It seemed enough to get away from the rubber armor covered foot and the hooded head without a head. I sat down again.

June 11- I haven't budged, though I plan to! Yes, I do...really!

I, slowness itself, have traveled a total of about 1.45 miles! YAY!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #582
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Peony was just as tired and cross as everyone else, after a sleepless night listening to the Neekerbreekers.

"Cheer up," Sam told her. "Strider says in another mile we'll be out of these marshes." Good old Sam!
-The Return of the King
Old 06-11-2003, 07:51 PM   #583
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Arafangwen whistled happily as she walked along the path streching out before her. She had stayed at Toms house for the past three days, but alas, all good things must come to an end(in most cases). Or you could simply say that the constant singing was giving her migranes. Whichever you choose, she had decided it was time to leave(the weather had cleared up). Arafangwen could still hear the deep booming voice of the man whom the daughter of the river woman loved so dearly as she turned for one last look when she passed over the highest point of the ridge, to see that merry dol house no more(lest she should come back for a visit [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). Only 341 more miles to Rivendell. she thought to herself as she continued to walk on in reflective thought.

Good to see all you people joining us! I'll be going away tommorow likely and will be "walking" without access to a computer, much less the internet. I'll be back as soon as possible though! Namarie!
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 09:29 PM   #584
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
35 years old! Listening to Nirvana

Hmmm. I'm 41, but I prefer Creed. (And Third Day, and The Holiness Project, and ... those rowdy hobbits...Bolco turns it up REALLY loud.)
I'm 52, and I'm also very partial to Third Day. (Elves turn it up REALLY loud, too.) They remind me a lot of Bob Seeger & the Silver Bullet Band. And old Beatle fans never die, they just keep getting older.
[img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #585
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I actually got up into the Green Hill Country today, and do you know what I am looking for there? The fox. I haven't read everyone's reports as they came through this part of The Shire, so I don't know if others have seen him, but I hope I do before I drop down toward the Brandywine river. Of course, with the way I am huffing and puffing on my daily runs, any sensible fox would probably run to its den in fright.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:36 PM   #586
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

BW, if I remember correctly my co-walker (Frodo2) and I did see the fox. But this time he did not stop to talk.

I see deer quite often, but they are even less chatty than the foxes. Something about New England reclusive attitudes? Somebody should tell them they're in the Shire now and expected to be talkative-- "you're not in Kansas anymore"-- but I haven't been able to get it across to them.

On the other hand, perhaps that's best, because I'd rather not have to explain it to the bears. Talking them into changing their skin during the day could be tough.

Hmmm, you're tramping right along! Attahobbit!

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-12-2003, 02:27 AM   #587
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Quote:
I have added several landmarks between mile 0 and mile 220
Er...where can I see this? Sorry, it seems to be so much of a late reaction, but I don't get it. Is it on the original Eowyn Challenge site?

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:20 AM   #588
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Er...where can I see this? Sorry, it seems to be so much of a late reaction, but I don't get it. Is it on the original Eowyn Challenge site?
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the page here at the Barrow-Downs. You can get to it from the main page (there'll be a link that says Walk to Rivendell over on the left side).

I had time to go for a long jog yesterday! Between that and my brief morning jog, I tacked on 20 miles, bringing my total to 28. That brush with the Nazgul (mile 27) scared me, and I'm going to attempt sprinting all the way to Buckland today.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:27 AM   #589
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

Ahhh... I can't find my camera, but I don't think I need it. The B-W closed the Dance thread.
I have walked 175 miles.
I have passed abandoned robbers den (172).
It is 5 miles to the next landmark.
I still have 283 miles to Rivendell. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

And now they're gone for robbers and live outside, hiding in the woods beyond Archet, and out in the wilds north-away. It's like a bit of the bad old times tales tell of, I say. It isn't safe on the road and nobody goes far, and folk lock up early. We have to keep watchers all round the fence and put a lot of men on the gates at nights.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:13 AM   #590
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Those still interested in writing The Springle Ring can either PM me or email me.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:08 PM   #591
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Yesterday I walked a quick two miles. And I do mean quick. The second mile was completed in 12 minutes! As Old Man Willow slowly devours my friends into the darkness of his trunk, I can hear some singing from up the road. Unsure whether to be overjoyed that someone has come to help or to start screaming at Old Man Willow to take me too, I at last decide to try to rescue my friends myself before Bombadil reaches us. Fingering the belt at my waist and the scarf around my neck, I consider tying and gagging him, or at least the latter.

However, I've learned something very important, if you don't want someone to sing, then you sing. I've composed a long walking song that I will sing over and over again, never letting him get a word in. It runs as follows:

I?m travelling far out of the Shire
To Rivendell the very fair
O?er little river and field
And soon I will arrive there

The morning first dawns so lovely
And I wake up and go on
I walk many miles further
I walk through the glory of dawn

A bird is singing up above
And I reply politely
As I say farewell to the Shire
Rivendell is beckoning to me
As I say farewell to the Shire

The day wears on until evening
Comes stealing over the sun
And near to Bree I approach
My journey will soon be done
And near to Bree I approach

I wander on through the night
With Rivendell on my mind
And in that peaceful stillness
Sweet restfulness I do find
And in that peaceful stillness

That night I slumber on
Sweet dreams come stealing o?er me
And in those beautiful dreams
Fair Rivendell I can see
Fair Rivendell I can see
Fair Rivendell I can see
And in those beautiful dreams
Fair Rivendell I can see

My journey will lead me
O?er paths barely touched and well-worn
Through sunset, nighttime, and dreaming
And on to the glorious morn
Through sunset, nighttime, and dreaming

It's to the tune of Rosin the Beau, which can be found here. It's stops in the middle, but you can start it over again, or you can just keep that tune in mind. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Once I memorize my newest work, I can sing it as I tramp through the fields!

4 - 6 miles today. I have to leave Bombadil as soon as I can, or I fear I shall go mad.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:30 PM   #592
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

I've just got back from swimteam. I told my coach about all the walking I have to do, so he said I 'inspired' him to *allow* us to do 2 miles in the pool!

So, I'm up to 181 miles.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:31 PM   #593
padraig_ec

Sting

ATTENTION BARROW DOWNS WALKERS:

You may now register on the Eowyn Challenge website as your own group. I have enabled your group, and added your black shield.

PLEASE: Remember that when you register your "Goal Miles" is 458 (probably) NOT the distance you have already walked. AFTER you register, then go add the miles in.

ALSO: Do make sure "Show my record on the website" is checked so that you show up.

Any problems or questions can be Emailed to me. There is a link on the site.

Thanks,

Padraig_ec
Old 06-12-2003, 02:22 PM   #594
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Thanks, padraig, for letting us know! I've registered and am now proudly displaying 9 black shields! Almost halfway to Rivendell... Come on, all of you, let's get some more shields in there, and let's enter some mottos in the contest to collect points for our group!

(Oops, there's a temporary mistake in there - I hit "refresh" and my mileage was doubled! I've already sent a message to have that corrected... *Esty hangs her head in shame*)

[ June 12, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:44 PM   #595
padraig_ec

Sting

For reference, if you add too many miles, the Update function will also remove miles if you put a "-" sign in front of them. So if this happens, just subtract them off.

--Padraig
Old 06-12-2003, 02:59 PM   #596
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Thanks for letting us join Padraig_ec! I'm planning to join your Yahoo group as well.

Arafangwen has only walked three more miles, but she's planning on getting a lot more miles in when she's in Alaska tommorow. See you all when I get back!
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:02 PM   #597
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Thanks, I corrected my mileage and saw that Helen is sporting 11 (!) shields, almost ready for the 12th now - way to go! Arafangwen is in there now too!

(BTW, who's BDU?)

[ June 12, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:00 PM   #598
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Booya! 6 black shields! Whee!

I did my daily 2 miles the strangest way today: I walked about for 55 minutes trying to get a horse to walk over an obstacle without talking to my team, talking to the horse, touching it, or touching it with anything else. Yep. It was a toughie.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:00 PM   #599
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I want to join the yahoo group, but I can't seem to find the link. I have checked the second and third page of this thread and I can't seem to find one. Could someone please help me?
Old 06-12-2003, 10:06 PM   #600
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

By the way, are we supposed to count only miles that have been walked, jogged, ect, or can we count miles for a basketball game?

During a pick-up game at school I make anywhere from 40 to 60 trips from one end of the floor to the other, and never in a straight line. And once we've reached one side or the other, I'm constantly zigzagging all over that entire third of the court either defending my man or trying to get open for a shot, setting picks, or dribbling.

And we usually play four games (sometimes more, sometimes less).

Well, if all I was doing was moving in a straight line from one end of the court to the other 50 times each game, four games would account for about 3.5 miles, but that's completely without all of the movement I do on offense and defense, which in my case probably triples the mileage, or maybe increases it even more (I never stop moving).

So am I allowed to give some sort of conservative mileage estimate for how many miles I traveled during other activities? Because you realize, on days that I play six or seven games of ball I don't really feel like walking, much less running later on that evening.