The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #5921
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Is it in/from Lothlorien?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #5922
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
A person? No.
Place? No.
Object? Yes, it's a thing.
Weapon? I would say no.
Jewel? No.
Plant? No.
Magical? Yes.
Was it ever broken? No.
Was it made by the Elves? I think you could say so.
Palantir(s)? No.
Second Age? No.
Is it perhaps a non-permanent object? Very good. Yes.
Galadriel's mirror? A great guess. But wrong. No.
Galadriel's phial? Nyet.
Could it be held in hand? Nein.
Is it dreams? No. It's material.
Bruinen? I mean, the way Elrond makes it flood?
No. Not related to Bruinen.
And I just had another idea - the writing on the Moria Gates in ithildin? Nope.
Hmmm. This is tricky indeed. Let's tackle it from a different angle, then.
Could it be held in hand? No.

Was it made/used within the last millennium of the Third Age (i.e. after TA 2000) ?Yes.

Did it come from Lothlorien?
Yes.

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 12-12-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #5923
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lembas?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #5924
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lembas?
Nope.

(The "when" is key).
Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #5925
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Is it the mist that covered the Eotheod when they passed near Dol Guldur on their way to the Field of Celebrant?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #5926
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Is it the mist that covered the Eotheod when they passed near Dol Guldur on their way to the Field of Celebrant?
YES!
Quote:
But now [the Dwimordene] seemed shrouded in a gleaming mist; and to their dismay the mist passed over the river and flowed over the land before them....As they drew nearer they saw that the white mist was driving back the glooms of Dol Guldur, and soon they passed into it...under its canopy all things were lit with a clear and shadowless light, while to left and right they were guarded by white walls of secrecy.
"The Lady of the Golden Wood is on our side, it seems," said Borondir."
(But did Eorl even send her a thank-you bouquet? NO. (men )

Btw, Before going with the white mist I considered the punch that Helm Hammerhand killed Freca with, but that could have led to other yes/no tricky answers to questions. If asked if "it" was human technically the answer is, I think, no, but to do so would lead you to assume it was a place or thing.

As to whether the mist was natural or created, it seems to me the nearest analog could be the river at the Ford of Bruinen attacking the Nine Riders and killing their horses. The River itself was natural, used by Elrond, and enhanced (horses heads) by Gandalf.

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 12-13-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #5927
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, the Valar be thanked - otherwise my last guess would have been 'the perfume Galadriel puts on for special nights with Celeborn' (not very canonical, I'm afraid).
That was a tough nut to crack, Tuor! Lovely! (If I'm allowed just one minor nitpick, I would have said the mist was a substance rather than an object; but never mind.) And I'm really grateful you didn't pick Helm's punch - we might have had to rename this thread '200 Questions on ME'!

Now let me just think a bit on something sufficiently esoteric to match this...
Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #5928
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Good job, Pitch! I would never have thought of that! Not that I really payed any attention to that passage...I don't recall it at all right now... But good job!!!
Just the usual: person?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #5929
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - No.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #5930
Kyranger
Wight

Kyranger has just left Hobbiton.
Place?
Kyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #5931
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thing?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #5932
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - No.
Place? - No.
Thing? - Not really that either, I'm afraid.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #5933
Kyranger
Wight

Substance?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #5934
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - No.
Place? - No.
Substance? - No.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #5935
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

event?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #5936
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - No.
Place? - No.
Substance? - No.
Event? - Nnnot really.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #5937
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

hmmm... a word that would define "the punch that Helm Hammerhand killed Freca with"?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #5938
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

I think the right word to define a punch would be "hot alcoholic beverage" (although that's three words).
Kidding aside, what you want is a word that would define e.g. "the Curse of Mandos" or "Gandalf's stewardship".
Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #5939
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I think the right word to define a punch would be "hot alcoholic beverage" (although that's three words).
Kidding aside, what you want is a word that would define e.g. "the Curse of Mandos" or "Gandalf's stewardship".
I should call that a "thing".

Well. Is this an oath, perhaps?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #5940
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Well, for me a 'thing' is something material, and this isn't. As for what it is, I'd call it a concept.
Anyway, it's not an oath.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #5941
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

task?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #5942
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Does it pertain to one particular individual? (Like, to use your own example, "Gandalf's stewardship of Gondor".)
Old 12-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #5943
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - No.
Place? - No.
Substance? - No.
Event? - Nnnot really.
Is this an oath, perhaps? - No.
Task? - No.
Does it pertain to one particular individual? - No. (Which doesn't mean, however, that it pertains to everybody.)
Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #5944
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

anything to do with ruling something?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #5945
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - No.
Place? - No.
Substance? - No.
Event? - Nnnot really.
Task? - No.
Does it pertain to one particular individual? - No. (Which doesn't mean, however, that it pertains to everybody.)
Anything to do with ruling something? - Sorry, no.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #5946
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

does it pertain to a particular nation? Like, for example, all hobbits are short, all dwarves are sturdy, etc.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #5947
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - No.
Place? - No.
Substance? - No.
Event? - Nnnot really.
Task? - No.
Does it pertain to a particular nation? - Well, I wouldn't call Hobbits, Dwarves etc. nations (race? species?), but if you use the word like that, Yes it does.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #5948
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Well, you are right that they aren't really nations, but you could differentiate between Sindar and Noldor, for example, even though they are both elves. Or with men - men of Esgaroth/dale, Rohan, Gondor, and other places could be called separate nations...
Does it apply to a mortal "nation"?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #5949
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Sorry, Galadriel55 *, seems we misunderstood each other. In your last question you used 'nation' in the sense of e.g. all Hobbits, all Dwarves etc., and I said if you mean it that way, Yes. If you mean 'nation' as in Sindar or Noldor, Gondorians or Rohirrim, it's a No. Get me?

So:
Person? - No.
Place? - No.
Substance? - No.
Event? - Nnnot really.
Task? - No.
Does it pertain to one particular individual? - No.
Does it pertain to a particular 'nation' (in the sense of Hobbits, Dwarves...)? - Yes.
Does it apply to a mortal "nation"? - It does apply to mortals.

*can we perhaps shorten your name somehow without getting you mixed up with the other Galadriel?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #5950
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Sorry about that misconception. I'm not very good with explanations, as you can see...
Is the mortal race/nation humans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
can we perhaps shorten your name somehow without getting you mixed up with the other Galadriel?
You can call me G55, if you want. I don't mind the least! I do have a long name: G-a-l-a-d-r-i-e-l-5-5, to long to write fully every time you want to say something to me
Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #5951
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - No.
Place? - No.
Substance? - No.
Event? - Nnnot really.
Task? - No.
Does it pertain to one particular individual? - No.
Does it pertain to a particular 'nation' (in the sense of Hobbits, Dwarves...)? - Yes.
Does it apply to a mortal "nation"? - It does apply to mortals.
Is the mortal race/nation humans? - Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
You can call me G55, if you want. I don't mind the least! I do have a long name: G-a-l-a-d-r-i-e-l-5-5, to long to write fully every time you want to say something to me
It's not really that long, compared to, for example, Ibrîniðilpathânezel; I'm just being lazy.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #5952
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

The Gift/Doom (depending on the spin) of Men?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #5953
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

You beat me to it, Nerwen! I bet that's the answer!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #5954
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thumbs up i anna Iluvatáro

... and of course it is; 'the Gift of the One to Men', as the Eldar say. Correct, Nerwen! Your turn.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #5955
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

person?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #5956
Kyranger
Wight

Place?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #5957
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Person? –no.
Place? –no.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #5958
Kyranger
Wight

Object?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #5959
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Object? –yes.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #5960
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Intelligent-creature made object?