Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-17-2005, 10:49 PM   #521
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have also been out of town for several days with limited computer access but should be able to post again by Monday.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #522
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've posted yet another reply for the council of Dwarves, this time using Viss Stonecut. Hope I didn't cut in front of you, Pio, or anything in writing it...Arry's post from the Glitterfists got me so riled up, I couldn't sit still until I'd written a reply. (An hours late in getting to school...)

Anyhow, I had Viss work with the pride issue that Dwarves always seem to have. It always struck me that Dwarves couldn't stand being called names from outsiders, and this may stir them to some sort of action.

-- Folwren
Old 09-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #523
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That was great, Folwren. A little loud debate among the Dwarves is a good thing.

Now the King will poll his subjects and make his own decision on their course of action . . . after he or that is I return from work, that is . . .

~*~ Pio
Old 09-20-2005, 03:28 PM   #524
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Durelin - will you be making the momentous announcement from Celebrimbor? Just checking to get it straight
Old 09-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #525
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hopefully, and hopefully very soon. Sorry to cut the last post off before the announcement, but I figured some people might have a little something to say...

I am afraid I will not do its momentousness justice, though.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #526
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Good lady, you do wrong your [typing] hands too much Lovely new avatar, by the way.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:10 AM   #527
Child of the 7th Age

CaptainofDespair aka Dark Master,

Are you still going ahead with the post you discussed in your pm? I've been holding off on posting till you put Sauron's activities up. Or have you decided not to do it? If so, should I go ahead on my own with general troop preparations?

Your not so humble servant.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #528
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
CaptainofDespair aka Dark Master,

Are you still going ahead with the post you discussed in your pm? I've been holding off on posting till you put Sauron's activities up. Or have you decided not to do it? If so, should I go ahead on my own with general troop preparations?

Your not so humble servant.
I will indeed be posting it, hopefully soon. It was intended for earlier, but it shall be put off momentarily, at the request of Durelin. Feel free to post your own preparations, and I will keep up with that as well.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #529
Child of the 7th Age

Slight change of plans..... Because of the uncertain weather conditions, we have decided to evacuate to a friend who lives further inland. We leave tomorrow unless there's a drastic change in the forecast.

I hope to have computer access once I reach my destination. Captain of Despair -- please feel free to use my character as needed until I manage to post again.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #530
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
God bless you, Child! I hope everything turns out okay.

And I'm very sorry everyone for being scarce lately, I've been having some family issues. I will have my post up tomorrow, with Celebrimbor's great announcement...
Old 09-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #531
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm also sorry for being scarce... I've been really busy with school and soccer, and there's a huge English project that I'm scrambling to get done for next week. I will have a post up this weekend, though. Unless someone else intends to do so, I can put in the slaying of the Elvish messenger etc. that the Dwarves have mentioned.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:32 PM   #532
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My apologies as well. You may have noticed that I haven't posted very much anywhere recently; senior year is busier than I had ever expected. I'll try to post over the weekend, really I will.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #533
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Slight change of plans..... Because of the uncertain weather conditions, we have decided to evacuate to a friend who lives further inland. We leave tomorrow unless there's a drastic change in the forecast.

I hope to have computer access once I reach my destination. Captain of Despair -- please feel free to use my character as needed until I manage to post again.
Good luck, Child! Stay safe!

I will post something (hopefully) soon. I really need to put those nasty orcs to work.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #534
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I hope and pray everything's going well with you, Child. I've heard some pretty bad stuff about the evacuations...at least in Texas. Don't know where you are, though.

-- Folwren
Old 09-23-2005, 06:06 PM   #535
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

My post is posted, as promised. And now we are really moving, I hope...

I believe CaptainofDespair is posting as I speak, and as you will see, there are a number of surprises for us all...

Sorry to be jumping the gun in a way, but...things are supposed to be a little chaotic, aren't they?
Old 09-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #536
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Folwren & Pio

I've done a general 'Dwarves are readied for war' post.

Would one of you like to be on patrol with a small group of Dwarves and spy the 2 emissaries from Mordor being taken into the Elven city?

You won't of course know what's going on, but at least the Dwarves will have some idea of what's going on.

-- Arry
Old 09-25-2005, 01:38 PM   #537
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Bror's really too young to go off and do something like that. They'd pick more experienced people, like Riv. My dwarf will stay at home, therefore, and put his love of weapon making to work.

-- Folwren
Old 09-25-2005, 01:38 PM   #538
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I moved my 'preparing for war post' after Firefoot's - it seems to work better that way.

-- Arry
Old 09-25-2005, 01:41 PM   #539
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

That's fine with me.

Arry, please check your PMs.

-- Folwren
Old 09-26-2005, 06:53 AM   #540
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Pio,

The post I just posted should probably go before the one that you put a save up for, seeing as it evidently happens just a little while after the vote is cast. If you could fix that up, that'd be great.

-- Folwren
Old 09-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #541
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Will do!

I'll just move mine.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-28-2005, 04:55 PM   #542
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Aman - Gorgeous, gorgeous post. Just one problem: Celebrimbor said his speech from atop the stairs of the palace, rather than doing the traditional balcony thing. Think "Friends, Romans, countrymen" and perhaps you can picture it better, since I had a hard time describing the scene, really.

Also, I mentioned in my most recent post that Maegisil sent a guard to find Narisiel and inform her of the arrival of Angoroth. Unfortunately, though, the meeting turns out to be shorter than Maegisil expected, as the *dark one* has decided to depart before Narisiel can make it to the palace. Sorry...it's as *the dark one* wanted.

So either the message can reach you too late, or I can get rid of the mention of it in my post. It's up to you.

Last edited by Durelin; 09-28-2005 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Change of plans!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #543
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alrighty-o. I have posted, yet again. The parley was kept short, so as not to slow things down with the tediousness of a Celebrimbor-Angoroth back and forth battle of...wits?

Do inform me of any changes that should be made, as I have typed this with a sense of tiredness upon me. So, it may not be all that coherent.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:43 PM   #544
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

I will put it into a second post when I am able to write one. Likewise the edits.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #545
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Question

I'm unsure on the course of things at present. Well, not the course of things just now, but what they will be shortly - concerning the Dwarves.

We've set it up in our Halls that we're going to be escourting the women and children out through the mountain. But if that's the case, I'm thinking that we're going to have to start doing that as soon as possible. We don't want to wait until the black army is surrounding the place and they're under siege. That's not very logical.

Another question - is our mission going to work, or is everyone going to be killed? I understand that somehwere in all this, Elrond is coming in, but at the same time, he's going to be too late for the city.

As you can probably tell, I'm completely confused. Pio can probably answers best, seeing as she's taking care of a Dwarf, too. Can you explain, for the Dwarves part?

-- Folwren
Old 10-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #546
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Folwren

I've left Skald getting drunk in the kitchen . . . if you wish, little brother can come in and ask what the heck's going on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not too sure what the Dwarves are supposed to be doing. I do know that when Elrond arrives, the forces of Sauron have almost destroyed the city and that a great number of them turn on Elrond's forces and attack. The Dwarves rush out of Khazad-dum and attack Sauron's forces from behind.

This gives Elrond and his group time to gather what refugees there are and make for the area that will be Rivendell. the Dwarves battle Sauron's army and retreat as they do so back into the mountain, firmly shutting the Gate against any intrusion of Sauron's men and creatures.

What does anyone else think?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #547
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Durelin

What do you want the Dwarves to be doing at this point?

We're pretty much down to the grand battle, aren't we? Shall we be plunging into that soon?

~*~ Pio

EDIT - from a previous post of mine to this thread:

Elrond is chosen to aid the Elvensmiths in 1695. For what ever reasons, it will take the Lindon Elves until 1697 to come near Eregion. Sauron sends his troops against them and they are unable to enter Eregion at all, despite the additional aid they receive from a group of Lorien Elves led by Celeborn. Eregion is destroyed, Ost-in-Edhil in ruins.

Elrond and Celeborn's troops are nearly destroyed by Sauron and company - when King Durin III of Moria sends some Dwarven troops along with another group of Lorien Elves against Sauron's troops from the rear.

Sauron's army turns its focus on the Dwarves and Lorien Elves, driving them back to Moria - the West-gate, which faces Eregion, is then shut tightly against Sauron's troops and none can enter.

Elrond takes advantage of the changed focus of the enemy and with what remains of his men, along with some refugees from Eregion that he picks up along the way, he retreast northeast to the hidden valley where he will establish Imladris.

Sauron, in the meantime, sweeps east over Eriador, heading toward Lindon.

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-04-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #548
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Arry

Ha! That's exactly what I thought when I read your post. That really cracks me up. Poor Skald...

Pio

What you said was what I had in mind, but I thought that we might be doing something slightly different. That's fine, though.

I may get a post up sometime this evening.

-- Folwren
Old 10-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #549
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Well, I do think we Dwarves are ferrying Lorien Elves through the mines. At some point we will take Celeborn and a group to the city. and then there should be a final group of lorien Elves that will attack from the rear with us.

~*~ Pio
Old 10-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #550
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Time to shake things up a bit in the baddies' camp...

Grimkul's pretty intent on leaving army life forever - someone better stop him, quick!
Old 10-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #551
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sorry everyone. But here I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio
What do you want the Dwarves to be doing at this point?

We're pretty much down to the grand battle, aren't we? Shall we be plunging into that soon?
First I will answer your second question. We're plunging into the battle as soon as everyone's ready. My post says that the army is preparing to attack before dawn, and I have set it as late evening in Eregion. As long as this does not ruin plans of the Orcs or anyone else, this will stay, and we will be starting the battle as soon as possible.

As to the Dwarves...is it settled that the Dwarves will be the 'double too late' rescue party, that frees up the Elves enough to make a retreat? Or is that perhaps too complicated? It could become quite messy, with two different rescue parties. It could also work quite well, though. I'd like the Dwarves to continue having full reign over what they do, so please let me know what you think.

EDIT: Looking at the timeline of events again, I realize that the Dwarves 'rescue' is definitely after Ost-in-edhil is already in ruins. So, here's a possiblity: After Ost-in-edhil has been destroyed, those who have escaped will hide in the small surrounding woodlands, and Maegisil will start to take a bit of command, gathering the survivors up as best he can, hopefully with the help of Narisiel, Cainenyo, and anyone else. The Lindon and Lorien Elves, and the Dwarves, would continue fighting to drive back Sauron's forces. Then our Eregion survivors could be picked up.

What does everyone think?

Perhaps for the Dwarves could have King Durin III asking of his people whether or not they should help the Elves against Sauron...or something of that nature...

Last edited by Durelin; 10-07-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #552
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

The Dwarves have 2 things to accomplish as far as what Tolkien wrote.

1.) Celeborn and a party of Lorien Elves need to get to where Elrond's army is. Celeborn and Elrond should make a joint stab at attacking the invading troops but they will be pushed back even as Ost-in-Edhil falls. I thought that Celeborn and his warriors would come through the mines - hateful as that might be to Celeborn (Dwarves disgust him because some of them slew Thingol for the Nauglamir). The Dwarves will see him safe to where Elrond is.

2.) Then the only thing left is for the Dwarves to attack Sauron's army from the rear as they push back Elrond and Celeborn's troops. They draw off much of the attack against Elrond and he and Celeborn, I suppose, are able to start their retreat toward what will be Rivendell.

If some of the Dwarves stay to fight with Elrond and Celeborn's troops - they won't be able to re-enter the West gate - it will have been firmly closed against Sauron's armies as the main body of Dwarves retreats and draws off the Orcs and such.

They'd have to retreat with Elrond and make their way back to Khazad-dum by the East Gate.

Do the other Dwarves want to do this?

Riv will want to go back to Khazad-dum to stay near his wife and children.

What about Skald and Bror - what do Folwren and Arry see them doing?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #553
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm not sure . . . Folwren what do you see Bror doing?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #554
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, that's hard to say. Will, at that point in time, everyone see that it's a lost cause and all they can do is retreat?

If that's the case...I think that the sensible thing would be to retreat to Khazad-dum. The Dwarves really have nothing further to do. Nothing else holds them. They don't have any reasons or obligations, so to speak, to stay and fight for the elves any longer.

So, I can see Bror going back. But, then, he being still young and reckless and perhaps wanting to fight more against the orcs, he decides to stay. I really don't know. Does the decision have to made just yet?

I'm going to go off and see what's been posted since my last bit of writing...assuming that something new has happened.

-- Folwren
Old 10-09-2005, 12:22 AM   #555
Child of the 7th Age

The Eye

Save filled. The baddies are having a little fun of their own while waiting for the good guys to get things together. Encaitare and Firefox - the ball is in your camp.

Cami
Old 10-09-2005, 12:27 AM   #556
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Thanks for the heads-up, Child. I'm about to go to bed, so I'll fill in my save in the morning.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #557
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Save filled. Child and Firefoot, I've left it open for you to respond. Glûtkask is grudgingly about to make negotiations with Ulrung, and Grimkul and Ulwakh are having another run-in with Kharn... lots of fun for everybody.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #558
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I've filled in my SAVE.

Feel free to carry it on, Folwren.

--------------

Envinyatar

I've established that a group of Elves, led by Celeborn will be joining your troops. I left it vague enough that they/we can get there when they're needed.

-- Arry
Old 10-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #559
Child of the 7th Age

Thanks Encaitare . Ulrung is a nasty, evil man but he is not raving mad, which is apparently what most of the "deformed" Maia were. And the nasty Ulrung smells a new age coming around the bend, and he likes what he smells!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:45 PM   #560
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

My goodness, it's getting hard to write posts consistent with Grimkul's character that leave some feasible way of allowing my characters to get out alive...