The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Release the Kraken!

Don't know about you, but I loved the movie, "Clash of the Titans," released way back in 1981. It's basic Greek mythology; a retelling of Perseus's adventures. And I was always a fan of Ray Harryhausen, who made the monsters come to life with stop motion models - this was before the CG days.

Anyway, like all things, the movie has been remade. You can see a trailer for it here (the official site is pretty slow). What makes any of this relevant to a thread on the Downs is, in the trailer, you can see these flying things (no, not Pegasus) that look a lot to me like the Winged Nazgul in Peter Jackson's RotK.

See any other similarities?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Well,I am not yet 100% sure,but these must be Harpyes (Άρπυιες in greek),creattures
that were half women and half birds...in a monstrous forn of cource.They normallly appear only in the Argonautic mythological cyrcle,but since it is Holywood,you never know what to expect!

As for the Kraken-which is scandinavian,by the way-doesn't it seem like a comdination of an Olog-hai and the Guard of the Gate in Siranon?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, Medusa doesn't look like anything in LotR but several faces are familiar--Andromeda (I think that's who she is) reminds me of Liv Tyler and I think I caught a Theoden in there and definitely some orcish face makeup. The images pass rather quickly but I thought I also caught some wizards and I don't mean blue wizards. The beastie with the dental insignia reminds me of Star Wars though.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
kimsmarkin

Author's Notes: This Independence Day this week, so I celebrate with a post at the beginning of chapter! I hope you enjoy a holiday but not for you. To all my wonderful reviewers and readers, Thank you very much for your kind encouragement for new readers, welcome! and old, welcome back! It seems that this would be a perilous path ahead. But we will have fun anyway.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
kimsmarkin

This Independence Day this week, so I celebrate with a post at the beginning of chapter! I hope you enjoy a holiday but not for you. To all my wonderful reviewers and readers, Thank you very much for your kind encouragement for new readers, welcome! and old, welcome back! It seems that this would be a perilous path ahead. But we will have fun anyway.