The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Tell me there are!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to get some fake ears and an Elf costume to wear to the premier of TTT. Then something hit me. I was going to do this also before when I had my long hair. The thing is, last Friday I cut my hair really short. This ruined everything!!!

I was sitting thinking and wondering and pondering this thought in my mind over and over and over. Are there any such thing as Elves that had short hair? Tell me there is!! I really want there to be. Cause going as an Elf now would ruin everything!!! I wouldn't have the hair!! Did I just ruin the entire picture by making this huge mistake of cutting my hair? Can anyone help this panicing member in distress???
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 05:21 PM   #2
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Uhm... Why don't you just buy a wig? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2002, 05:39 PM   #3
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

how about extensions? i'm sure they DID wear their hair up, that's a good way to disguise it. maybe? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 05:40 PM   #4
Eruwen

Tolkien

Well, not to be making excuses or nothing, but wigs are just out of the question. It would be missing the point of it all. And my mother will not let me get extensions. Are you people telling me that there seriously were no Elves with short hair? Why did they all leave it long?
Old 11-29-2002, 06:23 PM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

I'm going as a hobbit. No pointy ears, no curly hair. I stand 5'9, I have about five invisible, blond hairs on my toes, and I'm not glueing rugs onto my feet either. And I'm going to wear breeches, a hobbitty shirt, jacket, and cloak, a ring on a chain, and I'll enjoy the movie and the line party and not worry about it.

So... Relax, put on some elvish jewellry and wear your costume. Tell fellow line-partiers that you are a short-haired elf. They'll get over it. The point is for YOU to have fun and enjoy yourself and enjoy the movie.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:27 PM   #6
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

First, calm yourself! Now, I am sure that some Elves had short hair. I can't find you any proof, but it seems logical. It your were an Elf that lives in, say, Mirkwood, for example, and fought often to protect your home, you might opt for shorter hair to keep it out of your way while you fought.

Just a theory though. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2002, 06:57 PM   #7
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

mark 12_30, you might be my twin. Holy cow!! I'm dressing almost the exact same way.

[ November 29, 2002: Message edited by: Lindolirian ]
Old 11-29-2002, 07:42 PM   #8
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

im just gessing but im shure some would have had short hair if not just put a hat on! lol
Old 11-29-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
Eruwen

Tolkien

Ya know, Mark. That is a very good idea. Thanks for the help. It is very comforting to know I am not the only one who is not going to look exactly like the character. (But I'm still getting the pointy ears!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2002, 09:47 PM   #10
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My friend Katherine and I dressed up as Elves for The Two Towers exhibit. We were, apparently, the only people to dress up for it, according to the security guard.
I think that I'll go Hobbit for the Return of the King exhibit.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:17 PM   #11
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eruwen, I really wouldn't worry about it. People will get the idea I am sure. I sincerly doubt that the books say anything about elven hair at all so whatever is natural will work just fine! Have fun!
Old 11-30-2002, 12:25 AM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Eruwen, if your mom won't let you buy hair extension because of money and time, that problem can be solved. My hair is rather short too, and for my Halloween costume I bought a long ponytail extension for about $3. My sister was able to put it in my hair in a half an hour or less.
I know that ponytails aren't exactly Elvish, but if its a low ponytail, it will look realistic. And if you braid the extension, that's even better.

And if your mom still won't let you get an extension, then that's ok. Just go with short hair. You won't be the only one who doesn't look like they came straight from the movie; trust me.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:52 AM   #13
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
My friend Katherine and I dressed up as Elves for The Two Towers exhibit.
Lindril - Where was this exhibit? Was it like the exhibit that they had in Toronto (I think it was), of the sets and props? Is it touring? Were there any Elves with short hair? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Tell us more! (Probably ought to start another thread for it, though.)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 05:05 PM   #14
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yeah! that's the kind of extension i was thinking of: the kind you can clip in, not the kind you have professionally attached at a salon. you can get them all over the place (even different colors like blue and stuff, not that i'm recommending that)...laugh! i like the idea about braiding it into your hair, good one!
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 05:09 PM   #15
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

You never should've cut it! Long hair is NEVER out of style! I have REALLY long hair and I've already decided I am probably never going to cut it, only trim it. I will never give in to my friends trying to persuade me into cutting my hair because "everyone else has!" The heck with everyone else! Well, it's too late, buy a wig. A cheap one hopefully.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 08:55 PM   #16
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

you can get elf ears here.