The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #41
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well Mac that would work as well indeed but I think that with larger teams it will be easier to get the answer (it may well be that with small teams both will be to busy to find it in 48 hours), also remember we still are talking about 4 books here, and it's not easy even so to find the answer.

Btw, another thing about the rules.
Once I get both PMs I'll update the score and will post a new question, so it will go quite fast.

I've decided on 5 questions for this first one. Must see how it will work out.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #42
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hm. I cross-posted with Mac earlier. I think I like the idea of two teams with four players. 4 books, as you said, is a lot of information to be covered, and I am not extremely familiar with two of them.

-- Folwren
Old 10-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #43
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Pipe

Well, I think pairs would be exciting, but there might be two problems: if one person disappears it can be quite fatal. And also if there are pairs I think the time to answer the questions should be longer. Those problems, though, can be overcome. I don't know if I'd prefer pairs or groups of four. Both have their pors and cons. Hmmm... You others can decide. And if we're having teams of four, what are they? Those I proposed?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #44
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think four teams would be scary...
Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #45
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Personally, I think we should reserve the idea of four teams - which is a good one, I think - for later, for a second turn (if we the game proves to be as interesting as it seems). For now, when we are in the "testing phase", I think we should stay with the two teams of four. And I more or less agree with the teams as Lommy posted them (the second version). I could say the team B (oh, that's just technical marking - nothing to do with rating ) gives quite a "werewolfy feeling" to me, our team - team A, of course - (but as I said, just technical...) is more, well, what word to use, hmm, (I seek a word to mark it in opposite to a team that gives "feeling"... oh, yes, here it is) "academic". Yeah, that's a good word.

Just a note to the rules, TM, to make it clear: so the team is able to post just ONE answer; no changes, no retractions (ahh... WW terminology )?

And secondly, the time is not important at all (as far as we make it in time) to determine our final rating (unless we are playing the "sudden death")? In other words, it does not matter whether we post the answer one hour after we received the question or one hour before the time expires; just what matters is whether it's important or not?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #46
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien

No, time is never important, also not in sudden death.
There the one that first gains more points then the others wins, no time restriction exists.

Indeed, the answer and the quote supporting it can not be changed, and if no quote is provided it can not be added later.
I know this might sound tough, but that makes the teams think twice or thrice or a lot before they post and only when all agree upon something.

Ok, guess all is ready.
Just need the 2 4-member teams to be confirmed.
I guess all are ready, so tomorrow afternoon I shall PM everyone the first question. The thread shall be posted in the Quiz Room. Besides my updates of the score, you may post any problems/unsatisfactions/information for your teammates in there.

PS: I strongly recommend to each of you to empty the Inbox and Outbox after each round, since you will not be able to send, and more importantly send messages, and missing one could have consequences.
Unfortunately there is no possibility to make threads that only allow certain members to read the content, but as said IM is also a good alternative to PMs as it goes faster. I leave this to you though.

So remember, tomorrow it begins!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #47
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
PS: I strongly recommend to each of you to empty the Inbox and Outbox after each round, since you will not be able to send, and more importantly send messages, and missing one could have consequences.
Unfortunately there is no possibility to make threads that only allow certain members to read the content, but as said IM is also a good alternative to PMs as it goes faster. I leave this to you though.
Also, the team mates should probably exchange e-mail addresses, because then everything does not end in a disaster if someone's PM inbox is full for some time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM
So remember, tomorrow it begins!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote