The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Pipe Happy Birthday, Hobbit!

70 years ago today, The Hobbit was published. What began with "In a hole in the ground..." has become a worldwide phenomenon. It was not the first written of Tolkien's works, yet it paved the way for his masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings. Without the Hobbits, that could not have been what it became. More than that, The Hobbit itself is a worthy work to read and discuss.

Perhaps the best way to celebrate this occasion for for us to share our personal experiences with "There and Back Again". When did you read it? What did it mean to you then? And how has that changed - what does it mean to you now?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420! Holey ground, Thuringwethil!

To this day it makes me sad that no amusement park has ever devised a barrel ride as exciting as the one Bilbo took.

It has also become a powerful justification for the fine art of doodling in the margins.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
What a wonderful book Happy anniversary. This book started it off and led to everything we have today.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
From the Tolkien Library site Allen & Unwin's Spring & Summer 1937 catalogues, announcing the publication of The Hobbit.

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/dmiller/000432.htm

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/dmiller/000433.htm
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:04 AM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
A lovely find, davem, although I must say the prize is a bit steep for a catalogue. Still, fascinating to see the company TH kept back then.

Also fascinating is the description of TH. One wonders if Tolkien himself had a hand in it?

just a brief snatch: The period is the ancient time between the age of Faerie and the dominion of men when the famous forest of Mirkwood was still standing and the mountains were full of danger.