The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Question Why Moria?

Now I know they couldn't go over the Caradhras (the mountains) or through the gap of Rohan but why didn't they head for the dwarf road through the mountains mentioned in the Hobbit.

It was out of the way but surely Gandalf knew it was easier than facing a Balrog.

any suggestions???
Old 06-11-2002, 09:49 AM   #2
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I think that it was a combination of two things:
1) They were too much to the south to go over that pass, and if they would, it would take so much time, that Sauron would have all his forces ready and that Minas Tirith was taken.
2) I thought that Bilbo and his group passed the Misty Mountains in spring.
When the Fellowship reaches the Caradhras, it is already early autumn. If they would have gone back, it would be winter and they would have to wait until next spring to pass the High Pass.

Welcome to the downs! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 10:02 AM   #3
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Thanks, didn't think about seasons.

But did winter ever come in Gondor. Wouldn't it have hindered the battle?
Old 06-11-2002, 10:04 AM   #4
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Tolkien

Depends what "winter" entails. After all, winter in the north and in high mountains means snow, and lots of it. However, winter in the southern flats and plains means more along the lines of rain. It'd make fighting miserable, but not impossible.

Besides which, the Pelennor took place in either late February or early March (I'd have to check my books, which I don't have to hand, being at school, to get the exact dates right).

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Naaramare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 10:11 AM   #5
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

what happened in winter in LOTR then?
Old 06-11-2002, 10:22 AM   #6
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Tolkien

Depends where you were, obviously. Caradhras got snowed on; they skipped a bit of winter whilst they spent time in Lorien. The rest, being more southerly, was drear and chilly and dismal.

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Naaramare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 10:43 AM   #7
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dūm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Don't forget Gondor was in the South. I think it would have had the weather equivalent of Georgia or the Carolinas.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:56 AM   #8
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Speaking of Georgia, I've been swimming on Christmas Day!

The Battle of Pelenor was March 15.

[ June 12, 2002: Message edited by: Joy ]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 04:46 PM   #9
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
but why didn't they head for the dwarf road through the mountains mentioned in the Hobbit.
The Redhorn Pass was farther north, and I wouldn't say it was any more safe since that is where Thorin & Co where captured by Orcs.

Quote:
Depends what "winter" entails. After all, winter in the north and in high mountains means snow, and lots of it. However, winter in the southern flats and plains means more along the lines of rain.
Quote:
Depends where you were, obviously. Caradhras got snowed on; they skipped a bit of winter whilst they spent time in Lorien. The rest, being more southerly, was drear and chilly and dismal.
Tolkien never states that Gondor is in a southern hemisphere type of climate though. The seasons in the southern part of Middle Earth may not have been the same as those in the northern part in the same time frame, winter may come first to that part and later in others by weeks or months.
RotK:
Quote:
Then Aragorn turned, and there was a stony slope behind him running down from the skirts of the snow; and as he looked he was aware that alone there in the waste a growing thing stood.And he climbed to it, and saw that out of the very edge of the snow there sprang a sapling tree no more than three foot high. Already it had put forth young leaves long and shapely, dark above and silver beneath, and upon it's silver crown it bore one small cluster of flowers whose white petals shone like the sunlit snow.
Apparently Gondor got snow at times, this point of Mount Mindolluin being only a nights walk for Gandalf and Aragorn could not have been too far up the mountain.

[ June 11, 2002: Message edited by: Elrian ]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 05:00 PM   #10
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The High Pass Thorin and company had once taken was actually safe, since it was being kept open by the Beornings (said Gimli). The problem was that this way was too far north, and the Fellowship would have drawn too near to Mirkwood, Dol Guldur and mainly the Gladden Fields, which were apparently still being searched, at least more or less closely (the orc patrol that shoots arrows at the Fellowship on the Anduin came from that region, presumably).
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 05:11 PM   #11
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
The High Pass Thorin and company had once taken was actually safe, since it was being kept open by the Beornings
Your right. He did tell Frodo that in the house of Elrond. Thanks Sharku.

[ June 11, 2002: Message edited by: Elrian ]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 09:32 PM   #12
TarElendil
Wight

TarElendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

if they would take too much time the forces of sauron might have overwhelmed Minas Tirith Eriador would follow. They did not know if the Rohirriom were in the pocket of Saruman either.
TarElendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:17 AM   #13
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Besides that, I don't think that Gandalf expected to cross paths with the Balrog. The mines were so huge and labrynthine that the odds were against there being a confrontation. I suppose it just wasn't Gandalf's lucky day.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 03:22 AM   #14
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf had taken the road through moria ones more and I agree with Pippin. He didn't expect to meet Durin's Bane. It was that fool of a Took who is to be blamed for that, I think, for the drums start after he dropped the stone into that well to which he was attracted.

I don't even know if he knew that it was a Balrog. They knew that the dwarves awakened something of great power and dread, but did they know that it was a Balrog. I think not. This is what Celeborn said when the Fellowship arrives in there home:

Quote:
'Alas!' said Celeborn. 'We have long feared that under Caradhras a terror slept. But had I known that the Dwarves stirred up this evil in Moria again, I would have forbidden you to pass the northern borders, you and all that went with you. And if it were possible, one would say that at the last Gandalf fell from wisdom into folly, going needlessly into the net of Moria.'
You see that Celeborn didn't know that it was a Balrog, and they feared a terror. I think Gandalf didn't know that it was a Balrog either, though he be one of the Wise.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:08 AM   #15
Leto
Pile O'Bones

Leto has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Remember, Gandalf and Aragorn really didn't want to go back through Moria. They knew it would be terribly dangerous. They might not have known there was a Balrog in there...but they knew it was perilous. It was a desperate choice they had to make...already they had been delayed too long, and could not risk backtracking or going close to Isengard.
Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:32 AM   #16
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf wanted to take Moria already in Rivendell, but Aragorn didn't. They discussed the matter and Gandalf followed Aragorn's choice, but that proved almost disastrous, so they went to Moria which was already the way Gandalf wanted to take.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 12:50 PM   #17
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm glad they took Moria. It was definitely one of my favorite parts in the books...and the movie too.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote