The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2004, 08:11 PM   #1
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye Feanor and Gimli...

Alright, so I've read the Unfinished Tales for the third time, and a Thought came to me.

When Galadriel lived in the Undying Lands, she refused Feanor's (who was an Elf and he cousin) three requests for a strand of her hair, but she gave Gimli (a dwarf ) three strands after a sheepish request on the spur of the moment.

Was this foresight on Galadriel's part, because she could see that it would bring only good? And why didn't she give any to Feanor? I might have timelines wrong, but I thought started disliking her rash kinsman after he asked for some of her hair.

If some of you have some thoughts on this it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Angry Hill Troll
Wight

Angry Hill Troll has just left Hobbiton.
Saraphim, let me refer you to this thread, which discusses the topic. (personally, I think Galadriel had gotten a bit wiser in the intervening 8000 years, and saw that no harm and possibly a lot of good might come of honoring Gimli's request)

Last edited by Angry Hill Troll; 04-21-2004 at 08:36 PM.
Angry Hill Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:57 AM   #3
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Well, it could be that Galadriel became more wise, or she could have seen Gimli's humility compared with Feanor's rash pride and lust. She may have been more willing to give her hair to one so humble instead of one so proud.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:59 PM   #4
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins
Well, it could be that Galadriel became more wise, or she could have seen Gimli's humility compared with Feanor's rash pride and lust. She may have been more willing to give her hair to one so humble instead of one so proud.
True. Or it might just be because Feanor was *weird*! He was not just proud, the man (Elf) was obsessed! Personally, I think it shows Galadriel's good taste!
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:52 AM   #5
Etharius
Animated Skeleton

Etharius has just left Hobbiton.
Interesting topic.

I'm not too sure it is so much about wisdom.

I think the way Gimli asked of it and the circumstances surrounding the both of them made the opportunity unmissable for Galadriel.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etharius
I think the way Gimli asked of it and the circumstances surrounding the both of them made the opportunity unmissable for Galadriel.
I agree totally, Gimli said something along lines of Galadriel being more fair than all the jewels beneath the earth and maybe she was just flattered.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:27 PM   #7
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Shield a dwarf!

Well when a DWARF says something is more fair than the jewels of the earth that is a rare thing!
Old 04-24-2004, 06:42 PM   #8
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins
DWARF
Why did you put that in all caps? And yes it is a rare thing, Dwarves are supposed to be great miners and have a love of jewels.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:49 AM   #9
Potatothan
Haunting Spirit

Potatothan has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArathorofBarahir
Why did you put that in all caps? And yes it is a rare thing, Dwarves are supposed to be great miners and have a love of jewels.
Well, you answered it yourself. Dwarfes didn't value anything above jewels. And this was indeed extrodenary that Gimli said such a thing. Remember, when he just left Laurelindorenan by boat he said he would never call anything beautifull unless it was a gift from Lady Galadriel. I think he soon came back of those words, considering what he said about the Glittering Caves of Aglarond. Dwarves and their promises.

~Potatothan
Old 05-04-2004, 03:57 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Gimli and Feanor

I believe it's quite clear Galadriel didn't give Feanor her hair because Feanor wasn't lets say as "nice" or "pleasant" as Gimli. Galadriel saw that Feanor didn't want her hair like Gimli did. Gimli wanted it so he could cherish it and think of the lady. I don't know much about Feanor except he was full of pride and arrogance.

Someone earlier said it was to honor Gimli, I agree, Gimli was an honorable person to have in the fellowship. He was a good companion and even Aragorn was impressed of his skills with the axe. As I said earlier I believe Galadriel saw the compassion in Gimli and it was a gift he wanted to cherish and not want for a prize, as I believe Feanor did.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:51 PM   #11
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Bear in mind what Galadriel said when Gimli asked her:
Quote:
For none have ever made to me a request so bold and yet so
courteous.
In other words, his request was as bold as Feanor's, but he asked more nicely...
But seriously, I think it was much more than that. The significance of the request was certainly not lost on those present:
Quote:
The Elves stirred and murmured with astonishment, and Celeborn gazed
at the Dwarf in wonder,
Galadriel knows it is time to end the ages-long feud between elves and dwarves. Her kindness and understanding of Gimli, and his rather touching devotion to her, is the first proper elf-dwarf exchange of warm feeling, and helps facilitate the subsequent friendship with Legolas. By her actions, Galadriel has strenghtened the bonds of the Fellowship which she has seen is in danger of foundering - and thus helped in the defeat of Sauron.
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:45 PM   #12
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I agree, Lalaith. By giving Gimli the three strands of her hair, she took the first step in the reconciliation of Elves and Dwarves. And none could have done it better, since both Gimli and Galadriel are respected and well-known in their races. Also, it was said that Galadriel had an intense hatred for Fëanor even before he asked for some of her hair.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote