The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-10-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
Lord Melkor
Haunting Spirit

Lord Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Sauron returning?

As we all know Sauron was reduced to a houseless spirit after the destruction of the ring and was forever uncapable of taking form again. However, in Morgoth's ring there is an part describing how those communing with the spirits of the dead and other wraiths has certain dangers, the most important one being possession of the hroa of the summoner by the summoned spirit. Now, could it be possible that a foolish human trying to commune with spirits encounters Sauron, who takes this opportunity to take over the hapless human? Of course he would possess the body of a human and wouldn't be as powerful as he was when he still was the Lord of the Rings, but he still could cause great harm, like using his cunning mind to become a bloodthirsty despot like Genghis Khan or something like that. An interesting idea or total bullocks?
'I am the Elder king: Melkor, first and mightiest of all the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will.'
Lord Melkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:32 PM   #2
Lord Elrond
Animated Skeleton

Lord Elrond has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I never read Morgoth's ring but I think from what I know that the History of Middle Earth books are a bunch of ideas that Tolkien never fully developed. I don't think Sauron could return. He was a maiar spirit not a spirit of the dead as presumeably Morgoth's ring talks about. His body had already been destroyed twice and then the ring destroyed too. So his power if he had any left would be very insignificant. Also Gandalf didn't seem to have any concern when he was destroyed in the end of the third age. If Gandalf wasn't concerned and his job(helping against Sauron ) was done then I think that if Sauron did return he wouldn't be anything like the old Sauron we know and love but a mere shadow of him. He might be able to do some harm but nothing compared to the good old days. I think you bring up an interesting point and I am going to have to finish reading these History books. I want to try and get them all from the same series with the same covers which is harder than it sounds but I"m working on it.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sounds like the beginning of an RPG to me.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:27 PM   #4
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Unless I am entirely mistaken, Sauron returning via someone's foolish practice of necromancy is a distinct impossibility. Assuming he went into the Void after the destruction of the Ring, he would not be able to return even through possession of the hroa of a physical being, as he is being constantly watched in the Void by the gatekeeper of Ea.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:02 PM   #5
*LillianTinuviel*

Sting

I agree with Lord of Angmar.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt that Sauron could or would ever return in any way, shape, or form.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:00 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Unless Earendil oversleeps again, either Morgoth or Sauron won't come back into Ea again. We must encourage him to invest in a good alarm clock or something. Perhaps Elwing could lend him a bird to sing, to wake him up at the right time.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:41 PM   #7
Robb

Sting

I think that it may be possible that once Sauron was destroyed at the end of the third age, eru may have locked him away in the void with his master, Melkor and the balrogs, seeing that he was no longer a threat, being defeated so many times before. The nazgul, however, were men, so i think their souls may have gone free or sent to a Middle-earth equivalent to hell, not the void.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:11 AM   #8
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The 'Sauron Should Have Won' thread gave me a grand idea. I hate to quote my self, but I will anyway:
Quote:
Here's an odd thought:
So, all of Sauron's evil was invested in The Ring. When The Ring was destroyed, did that leave Sauron as entirely good? Is it possible that Sauron still exists, as a good guy? With The Ring, and therefore all of his evil destroyed, Sauron walks Middle Earth, as one of those dreadfully perfect people, The horror of it is un-fathomable.
Next time I meet one of those disgustingly NICE people, I'll be suspicious.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:52 AM   #9
Eol Telemnar
Haunting Spirit

Location: At my house, on my computer (where else would I be?
Eol Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

(If im inturupting Sorry, I'm back at the question)

Quote:
He was a maiar spirit not a spirit of the dead as presumeably Morgoth's ring talks about. His body had already been destroyed twice and then the ring destroyed too. So his power if he had any left would be very insignificant.
I agree with this. But he won't dissapear entiely because he is a maiar spirit. I hope I was a little help [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2003, 12:39 PM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

The only reason he wasn't completely destroyed was that he didn't pour all of himself into the One Ring. He only poured a very large part. When that part was destroyed, through the destruction of the One Ring, he was weakened greatly. All that was left of him was a shadow that was easily scattered to the winds. Perhaps after a great length of time, after gaining some strength, he might return though Necromancy, but I highly doubt it.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote