The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2024, 06:08 AM   #1
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Where has all the Vitriol Gone?

Now, I realise that basing my observation on what "Tolkien fandom" is doing solely on the activity on the Barrow-downs is a fool's errand, but... does it seem like the hate is missing for Season 2?

Well, I think interest in general is missing. With Season 1, there was a lot of pent-up interest in what The Rings of Power was going to do: some high hopes that were immediately dash, some fears that didn't quite materialize (resulting in a backlash defense that "it's meh, not terrible"), and it came in 2022 when there was still a good amount of "been stuck in Covid" in people's lives.

And... we got it out of our systems.

Of course, like I said, I'm just basing it on the Barrow-downs activity, and we've both continued the long sleepiness of inactivity and dealt this year with having to refresh the screen every other time you click a link...

But it still feels like there is very little passion (pro or con) or even disinterested attention in what is going on in Season 2. My theory, insofar as my observation might hold water, is that this is the REAL assessment of Season 1: a quick-burning flame that left little enough impression. Instead of the travesty it was called on one side, or the jaw-dropping spectacle of the defenders, it was ultimately... forgettable.

Anyone else think my tiny sample-sized observation bears water? What have you seen?