The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Wizard Gone Missing

In my most recent reread of The Hobbit, I was struck by how Nordic are the Dwarves and the Wizard in "An Unexpected Party." I was just as fascinated by the portrayal of the Wizard as frankly sorcerous with the many-colored smoke rings floating above his head.

Through the story, it seems to me that some of this "Brothers Grimm" - feel - of the story is traded in, so to speak, in exchange for the story Tolkien has chosen to tell. This thought could stand some fleshing out, but I would prefer to leave it as an open subject for part of this thread's discussion.

The thing that interests me most, however, is the difference between the Wizard depicted in "An Unexpected Party" as opposed to (1) Gandalf described later in the book, especially after Smaug has been killed; and also as opposed to (2) Gandalf the Grey, then White, the Istari of The Lord of the Rings.

I place no value judgement on these differences that I see. Tolkien did what he chose, for his own reasons, and we are the richer for it. However, Gandalf does change, not once, not twice, but repeatedly, at least to my perception.

I must admit that there is something very appealing about that first appearance of the Nordic Wizard that is still there mostly right up until he takes leave of the Hobbit and Dwarves before they enter Mirkwood; and this particular - er - feel - of the Wizard, seems never to return - and I miss him.

Am I reading something into this that is not there? Does anyone else sense it? Are there points after Mirkwood when Gandalf again seems like this original Nordic Wizard, in The Hobbit? .... in LotR?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote