The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Father Christmas Letters: 1938

The picture that goes with the 1938 Christmas letter is incomplete - appropriately, it's titled "Setting Out". It's a line drawing (coloured pencil) of Father Christmas in the sleigh, pulled by two reindeer. In the letter, he writes that he did not have time to draw a big picture and is therefore sending some rhymes instead.

The letter is addressed to "Priscilla and all others at your house", so by this time, she must be the only one who still corresponds with FC. Christopher is mentioned, with hopes that he is better, so apparently he was ill. His present is mentioned - a book about astronomy and telescopes. We know Tolkien had some interest in astronomy, and apparently the children did as well.

Priscilla's bears are mentioned, several of them by name - they number 60 or more!

The poem itself is written by Father Christmas with some additions and interruptions by the North Polar Bear and Ilbereth. This is no great literary poetry, but simple rhymes, not even necessarily accurate ones. It's meant to be fun, with word playing such as "You're half past nine", meaning Priscilla's age, interrupted by Ilbereth with "She is not a clock!" NPB calls Ilbereth "thinuous" instead of "fatuous", as he is thin, not fat.

The letter is embellished and some of its letters illuminated. I haven't been able to find an image of the one page that is reproduced in my book, so I hope those of you who have it will comment!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote