The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR --- Appendix F -- The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age

This appendix is the final chapter of the LotR! The remaining pages of the book are devoted to the indexes - very helpful, but not particularly discussable.

The information concerning the various peoples of Middle-earth pertains mostly to their respective languages. That means the 'translator conceit' is again obvious here. Some geographic information is included in explanations of the boundaries in which the races lived.

The "common speech", Westron, is 'translated' into English. The reason for that is certainly connected with Tolkien's intention of writing an English mythology and the fact that his book is written in English. However, I find it interesting to realize that English has become the "common speech" of our world today.

Though Tolkien uses two Elven languages in his books, he tells us that there are more: the East-elves have other tongues which are not included here. Quenya is the first written language of Middle-earth, but apparently no longer a "living" language, since it is compared to Latin. At least Tolkien says it is "no longer a birth-tongue". Sindarin is related, also an Eldarin language, and the one usually spoken during the Third Age. An interesting, seemingly disconnected sentence closes the section: The Elven Sea-yearning is emphasized.

Westron, a Mannish language, was influenced by the Elven languages and originated from the Elf-friends of Men. The Dúnedain are the only Men who speak Elvish (Sindarin) - what a disappointment to the many writers of fan fictions and RPGs who like to sprinkle their characters' conversations liberally with Quenya! Adûnaic is their original language. The various versions, mostly related to the original, which are spoken by various peoples, are differentiated and explained by Tolkien, as are influences from other languages, down to individual names.

Though the Hobbits use the Common Speech, some of their names are unique, and the names for their race are explained.

The Ents' own language is interestingly described as being unlike others and unknown to other peoples; "they had no need to keep it secret, for no others could learn it."

Tolkien's love of language is shown in his passage on the orcs and their use of language. He uses such words as "perverted", "brutal", "barbarous" to describe their speech. Their language is not Black Speech, which was invented by Sauron and used only in Barad-dûr and by his captains; orcs spoke their own version(s) of Common Speech.

Trolls also spoke a "debased" version of Common Speech - except for Sauron's specially bred Olog-hai, who used Black Speech, though they spoke little.

Of Dwarves little is known, Tolkien says, as the histories which he 'translated' were from the Elven and/or Mannish point-of-view. The enmity of Men is ascribed to their lust for the Dwarves' wealth. The Dwarves' language is a well-kept secret, including their own personal names. For interaction with other races, they use Common Speech and public names.

The second section of this appendix strikes me as being a tongue-in-cheek pseudo-linguistic explanation of translation choices. Though I'm not familiar with similar genuine works, I can imagine that Tolkien had models for these passages!

One explanation involves the distinction between 'familiar' and 'deferential' forms of the second person pronoun. That is a concept strange to those who speak modern English, but not for many other languages (including German, the language I speak daily). I smiled at the idea that Pippin would address Denethor with the familiar form, having grinned over Americans et al struggling with that so foreign concept; one friend addressed strangers with the familiar pronoun, but used the formal address for his dog!

Even within the same language and race, individual speakers used variations of speech - as is the case with our languages today. Skill in matters of speech is a virtue, as far as Tolkien is concerned; and he praises reverence for that which was ancient. Note the contrast provided by his description of the speech of Orcs and Trolls:
Quote:
...without love of words or things...
...actually more degraded and filthy than ... shown...
He notes that such speech is still in use in our day:
Quote:
...dreary and repetitive with hatred and contempt, too long removed from good to retain even verbal vigour, save in the ears of those to whom only the squalid sounds strong.
An important detail is Tolkien's comment that Westron names are translated in English. (This is carried over in other language translations, where the names are translated into Dutch, German, French, etc. - with Tolkien's approval, in a number of cases.) His explanation for that decision is to create a sense of nearness in the spirit of the 'original' work. This concerns mostly the names of Hobbit persons and places, though some others are similarly 'changed'.

This is the place to find (nick)names of favourite characters that aren't overused - as our members Kalimac (and Galpsi - remember him?) did, for example.

Tolkien also explains his choice of the unusual plural for Dwarf and for his use of 'Elves', though the meaning of the word has changed nowadays. The appendix closes with details concerning three Hobbit name words.

Congratulations to all who have read my lengthy introductions, especially these to the appendices! I've hoped to draw out enough interest to inspire discussion, and I thank those who have posted faithfully during these past months. The threads remain open, so those who wish may still post. Perhaps a new round of readers will discover topics that have not yet been discussed?!

I invite all of you who have read and/or posted to join in the discussions on The Hobbit, to begin in January.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote