The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2002, 11:27 AM   #1
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe JRRT and C.S. Lewis

I understand that C.S. Lewis and JRR Tolkien were good friends for a while and that they often shared work and ideas with the Inklings.
I learned to read on C.S. Lewis' children's books, The Chronicles of Narnia, so they have always been dear to me. After learning of the friendship, I read LotR again and this time I noticed some conspicuous parallels in these works. For example, the gift-giving scene is found in the Chronicles when Father Christmas presents the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve with the weapons and tools according to their abilities and desires. Later these presents are shown to posses certain powers that come in handy later on in the Chronicles. Obviously this can be compared to Galadriel's gifts to the Fellowship based on their respective affinities (i.e., Sam's love for gardening is met by the box of earth). Frodo's vial practically saves his life, just as Lucy's vial saves the lives of others with its healing powers. Susan receives a horn that, when blown, is sure to summon help in a moment of dire need, just like Boromir's horn. There are dwarves possesing similar qualities and attitudes in both sets, and dryads that can be readily compared to Ents.
Has anyone else noticed this? Also, there seemed to be an apparent change in attitude towards the role of women about halfway through the Chronicles. Where it was forbidden for them to fight in battle before, the King Tirian expressly asks young Lucy to fight with the Narnians against the Calormenes (who resemble the men of Harad). This reminds one of the unexpected role that Eowyn plays.
Does anyone else have ideas on this subject or comments on the the relationship between JRRT and C.S. Lewis?

Thanks,
Silver-shod Muse
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote