Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2002, 03:53 PM   #11
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mattius jolted into concioucness when his dragging head smashed against a sharp rock. He groaned and tried to rub the back of his skull but his hands were tied behind his back. This might not be a good situation, he thought to himself as he opened his sore eyes. As the world came into focus he could see little, but the little he could see was just as he suspected, not good. The grey mist was still all about and Mattius could just make out his legs in front of him being lifted and used to drag him. He caught glimpses of the hands around his ankles, dark red rotting flesh hanging from black bones. Mattius drew a sharp breath, in these few brief seconds he had formulated a plan in his mind. His arms were tied but his legs were not.

In a flash Mattius spun his whole body, jolting his legs free, quickly he stood up and ran into the mist. He didnt have much time, he knew he could not hide forever, but he did have a few vital moments. With his tied hands he reached to his boots and pulled out a small elvish blade, hidden from view. Quickly he nicked the ropes until he could use his own strength to break them. As they snapped he reached to his sheath to attack with Angmarth. For three seconds his heart stopped. The sword was gone, he was defensless. Ofcourse! he thought. How stupid! It was dropped in the woods. He now had two choices, run or fight and Mattius was done with running in the sea of dense stench that was the mist. With his small blade and a clenched fist he readied hismself.

It was in this moment when death seemed to be upon the young Elf Man that help came from the skies above him. The Mist cleared and a bird sang clear and proud, a great eagle shape circled the sky and as it decended the mist around it dissapeared. It landed a few feet away from Mattius with something in its talons. Angmarth. The eagle let loose its grip on the blade and flew back into the sky leaving Mattius alone in the mist. Without thinking, he ran to the place where his weapon lay and in a smooth movement lifted it clean off the gound and sliced at an oncomming foul beast of the night. The decaying flesh stank the area as its decapetated body lay still on the ground. More attacked and everyone fell to the power of the Sword and its Master.
"Firnlord and Angmarth!" Yelled Mattius without thinking as a dozen more beasts fell. The attacks soon died out, and all that could be heared was Mattius panting,
"Firnlord and Angmarth... Firnlord and Angmarth..." As he sheathed his sword another figure appeared in front of him. It was of a man or perhaps an elf, thought Mattius. But he was wrong, it was the Head Protector and he was Maiar.

"Greetings," said a familir voice to Mattius, "I am the Head Protector, sent by Manwe himself to help guide the gifted weilder of Angmarth." The Head Protector was quite short, around five foot five and had white hair and a small white beard. He was dressed in satin blue with gold symbols of Eagles. "Follow me Firnlord," he commanded. Mattius follwed him to a stone wall upon which the Head Protector sat himself.
"Are you the one who speaks in my head?" asked Mattius. The man nodded.
"Yes, and I am here to help thee but first there is a story for me to tell you." Mattius looked on. "At the beginning of time when Melkor first rebelled against the rest of the Valar many evil things were created by him. One of the wrost was a great beast of terrible power. It had no physical appearnce of its own accept to Melkor, its creator. To all others it would appear as a fear."
"The Black Beast..." Mattius muttered to himself.
"Indeed Firnlord, Manwe saw the danger of this creature and took deep counsil with himself how to stop it. Eventually he did something unprecidented. He created a weapon, a sword to be more precise." The Maiar nodded towards Mattius' sheath.
"Angmarth!?" screamed the Elf Man.
"Angmarth," echoed the Protector, "was created by Manwe himself, he presented it to the greatest Elven warrior on Middle-Earth; your ancestor. But he did not succeed, nor did any of his line for many years. The beast seemed to simply dissapear from Middle-Earth. That was until your father found it in the Misty Mountains by chance. He was killed as you know but the sword and its heir were saved." Mattius looked deep into the Protector's eyes.
"You, was it you who saved me?" The small man scratched his head thinking.
"I am the Head Protector. But now the time has truely come to reveal the true powers of the sword created by Manwe. He believes you are truely gifted and connect with the blade, Angmarth will be revealed to you."
"Revealed?" questioned Mattius. The man hopped off the wall.
"Hand me Angmarth Firnlord." Mattius did as he was told. The Protector laid the sword down and chanted in an unknown language to Mattius. A brilliant red light then lit the sky and the ground shook. The sword on the floor shone white and then there was silence again.
"Take Angmarth Firnlord." Mattius picked up the sword and saw it had changed. The helm was the shape of a Gold Eagle, its talons the handle and its wings the balance. Its beak was open and facing upwards and from inside the beak the blade itself shot upwards, white as snow and cold as ice. Mattius turned to the Head Protector.
"It has been done and now I must leave the physical world but I will always be with you in great times of need Firnlord." The Maiar tapped his head. "Farewell!" With a puff of smoke he was gone, leaving Mattius alone in the mist once more with a new Angmarth. He sheathed it and was about to walk away when the Protectors voice spoke to him in his head. I told you I would be with you in great times of need and it seems you are in great need now Firnord. Turn around, that is the way to your companions. Do not tell them of what has passed here, this is between your family line, the Protectors and Manwe himself. Now go! They seek thee!