Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2003, 12:18 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting The Road to Erebor RPG

Himaran's Opening Posts

Prologue:

Dwalin stood upon the battlements of the wall, gazing at the vast land of Erebor. It was a beautiful place now, filled with trees, covered in grass, and surrounded by great statues. Turning back to look out over the mountainous northern region, the young dwarf stared out over the Grey Mountains of the north, scanning the horizon again, as he had done so many times over the past few days. Still no sign of the Uruks, he thought, but they will come.
Turning to a commander, he motioned him over. "Are there any sightings of Uruk Hai on you side of the wall, Kalin?," said Dwalin. "I have seen nothing over here." The dwarven general looked around the lands outside the wall. "Nothing over where I was. Maybe the report was wrong after all."

Then the horn sounded. The great horn of the lonely mountain, only blown when enemies were approaching. Then Dwalin's blood ran cold, for he new what the warning meant.

The Uruk Hai had arrived.

First Post:

Bali the dwarf looked around at the small group of warriors before him, all standing around outside the Inn. He looked each one over, carefully and slowly. Battle hardened warriors, all. Truly these are the ones to save Erebor. Then he spoke.

"We are setting out for Erebor now, in hopes of reaching it before my people are defeated. Our goal is to save the Lonely Mountain, and the kingdom of Erebor from the force invading it. Myself and Eruantalon are bound to this, but none of you must go further on this journey than you will. It is by your choice that you are coming, and if you choose to leave our party, then so be it. In return for your services, when the battle is over, you will each be awarded a piece of dwarven treasure, worth enough to keep you living comfortably for many long years. Let us hope that we all live to see that day."

Having said that, he opened an old, dusty map, and lay it on the ground before them. "Now, we must plan our route. As I have said before, Moria cannot be passed through. The bridge is broken, and evil dwells there that we alone cannot defeat. Thus, we must find another way around the Misty Mountains. We have only two choices: The long journey to the gap of Rohan, or the dangerous pass of Caradhras."

Here he pointed to a place on the map. "Caradhras lies near the entrance to the Mines of Moria. It is the only known way to cross over the mountains now, without going around them. I know little of it, save that winter is year-round there; snow can pile up to twice the size of a grown man, and the wind can chill you to the bone. Many a traveler has died by the anger of Caradhras.

The Gap of Rohan, with which you are already familiar, may sound like an easier route (it was, for I myself took it). But if we are to reach Erebor before its destruction, it may take too long to travel south, then north. We need to have straight paths whenever possible.

And so I will put it to vote. Who favors taking the gap of Rohan? And who favors Caradhras?"

Links to maps:

Caradhras and the Gap of Rohan

Another Map