piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting The Road to Erebor Discussion Thread

Himaran invites you to play:

Title: The Road To Erebor

Owner: Himaran

Basic Storyline:

It was a long time ago that Galdon Finllo was captured by Wood elves and sent to the dwarven dungeons of Erebor. He was a refugee from the Dwarven realm, a criminal for stealing treasure. The elves caught and returned him as a sign of good faith with the dwarves. He was eventually released from the dwarven dungeons, but held onto his hatred for Elves and Dwarves. Now, many years later, he has returned to Erebor with a large army of Uruk Hai, striking from an unknown northern fortress. He has two goals: To take the dwarven treasure for his own, and take revenge out upon his enemies, and the Kingdom of the Dwarves and Elves. Mirkwood is his next target, and the hall of King Thranduil. Bali, Nephew of the Dwarven Lord, is sitting in the Green Dragon Inn when a messenger brings him a letter from his father, asking him to return home and help fight the force that is assaulting them; preferably bringing other warriors with him. The story is about the Journey from the Shire to Erebor, made by Bali, his close friend Eruantalon, and a host of companions, and the battle they fought there....

The purpose of the story is to:

Travel through Eriador, over the Misty Mountains, and through Mirkwood Forest, at last reaching Erebor, in the east of middle earth, as quickly as possible, and save it from an attacking army of Uruk Hai. An army of Gondorians is on the way sent by Burzol‘s (a half-elf friend of Bali‘s) father, but it may not get there in time; and most of the Mirkwood elven force is fighting in a different conflict in the south of the forest. The few elves available are battling valiantly alongside the dwarves, knowing that if Erebor falls, the next area attacked by this new terror. On the way there, we will recruit an army of our own. The members of the army will not be separate characters, but their activities and numbers will be described by members of our company.

The focus of the story will be on the journey itself. We will go through populated towns, visiting inns and generally have fun, but will also travel through unknown portions of land, filled with danger and enemies. The whole time we will be moving steadily eastward. Players will have the chance to put forward their own ideas and subplots on the journey to make it more interesting. But we will find that we must be cautious… a traitor is amidst the company.

Reasons people would want to go on the journey:

In return for their services, Bali has promised each of the warriors accompanying him a piece of treasure from the dwarven stash of gold, jewels, and mithril.

This means we will know the story is over when: The Uruk Hai are defeated and their leader is slain. Erebor is returned to a peaceful state.

Starting Location: Outside the Green Dragon Inn

Likely destination: The Lonely Mountain

Timeframes:

i) This game takes place in Year 2 of the Fourth Age or 1423 by Shire Reckoning.

ii) The story itself or plot covers --- "around 6 months" --- months (or years).

iii) This game requires a time commitment of -- -- - - "about two months," --- --from me, the game owner and from the major players.

Characters:

Main character types: Dwarves, Men, who are friends of the Dwarves.

Dwarves must all be from Erebor.

I have 1 Dwarf and 2 Men committed to play in this game with me. I will need:
3 more Dwarves and 2 Men. The Men can be Rangers, Gondorians, etc, but they must all be warriors.

Secondary character types likely are: Elves, Friendly to Dwarves (A rare occurrence, but it happens).

All Elves must be warriors from Mirkwood only.

I have 1 Elf committed to the game. I will need 2 more Elves.

Character types which would not belong: ANY CHARACTER TYPE OTHER THAN DWARF, MEN, ELVES

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]