The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2002, 01:23 PM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Thank you, Mister Underhill

Thanks for the revised policies. I think we needed that! I've only been here six months, but even in that time, there have been tremendous changes. It is great to see so many new people, but it is sadly true there's too much garble and too many non-Tolkien posts on the site. Don't get me wrong, I love good, healthy Tolkien-related nonsense, and there are places for that here. But too much of the stuff seems to be brain-dead chatter.

I'm not doing as much posting in the books forum forum as I used to do, partly because I'm involved in a dynamic and very challenging RPG, but also because a few of the questions there are not as thoughtful or interesting as before.

The really big problem I see, though, is in Novices and Newcomers. When I first came, that was a fun place with people asking for responses to imaginatively contrived scenarios, and also "what's your favorite......?" Now, too much of it is totally unrelated to what the Downs should be about.

I may get some tomatoes thrown for this, or have my rating dip 32 points, but I think we need to be careful. This place is different than any other Tolkien site I've been on. And that difference is precious! The Downs allows for more serious discussions than I've seen elsewhere as well as really encouraging people to put their imaginations to good use. Let's not lose that to a bunch of meaningless drivel!

Hope the guidelines help. Oh, yeah, I'm a sig violator myself. I'm working on my sig-- I've got it down a bit, and will take another look at it later!!

sharon, the 7th age hobbit

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]