The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Mansun

The Nine Walkers

I have always wondered what would have happened if Elrond chose himself to be part of the Company, and perhaps along with Glorfindel, and others within his realm that were of similar power and guile. Could seven of the most powerful servants in Rivendell alongside Frodo and Sam have served a better role during the War of the Ring?

Would Elrond's Knowledge have helped the Company see them through their journey to Mordor without entering Moria?

Would Denethor have listened more to Elrond's counsel as opposed to that of Gandalf in Minas Tirith?

How would the Witch King have reacted to seeing Glorfindel or Elrond instead of his encounter with Gandalf at the gate of Minas Tirith?

Last edited by Mansun; 08-02-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun View Post
I have always wondered what would have happened if Elrond chose himself to be part of the Company, and perhaps along with Glorfindel, and others within his realm that were of similar power and guile. Could seven of the most powerful servants in Rivendell alongside Frodo and Sam have served a better role during the War of the Ring?

How would the Witch King have reacted to seeing Glorfindel or Elrond instead of his encounter with Gandalf at the gate of Minas Tirith?
The word "better" could be substituted for "more interesting". I mean, look at what the Fellowship did. It got the Ring destroyed and the non-Mordorian foes of the West soundly defeated. A new fellowship might not be able to accomplish that.
If the Witch King had seen Glorfindel again, if might have freaked out and fled the field.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think that I can pretty much sum up this question with a single quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ring Goes South
"Even if you chose for us an elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the Road to the Fire by the power that is in him." -Gandalf
The advantage for the Fellowship would be in secrecy, not in power, although they did have some the best warriors in Middle Earth accompanying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
Would Elrond's Knowledge have helped the Company see them through their journey to Mordor without entering Moria?
Gandalf's wisdom could have rivaled that of Elrond, and unless Elrond could stop the storms of Caradhras there was no way that his knowledge would have been to any avail.

Quote:
Would Denethor have listened more to Elrond's counsel as opposed to that of Gandalf in Minas Tirith?
I think that since Gandalf actually knew Denethor, a strange elf- lord showing up on his doorstep telling him what to do would infuriate Denethor and hurt his pride more than help.

Quote:
This question I cannot answer. Glorfindel was the only one who could openly do battle to the Witch King, and Elrond would have been as much of a match for him as Gandalf. Though the Witch King shows a great amount of arrogance in talking to Gandalf as if he was an "Old Man" on a horse. We never get to see any fighting happening, so I'm not 100% sure how it would have gone down, but I'm sure Glorfindel or Elrond couldn't do any better than Gandalf would have.

But there was no visible way that they could know of all those situations. Remember the Fellowships hope was in speed and secrecy.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Mansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I think that I can pretty much sum up this question with a single quote.

The advantage for the Fellowship would be in secrecy, not in power, although they did have some the best warriors in Middle Earth accompanying them.

Gandalf's wisdom could have rivaled that of Elrond, and unless Elrond could stop the storms of Caradhras there was no way that his knowledge would have been to any avail.

I think that since Gandalf actually knew Denethor, a strange elf- lord showing up on his doorstep telling him what to do would infuriate Denethor and hurt his pride more than help.

This question I cannot answer. Glorfindel was the only one who could openly do battle to the Witch King, and Elrond would have been as much of a match for him as Gandalf. Though the Witch King shows a great amount of arrogance in talking to Gandalf as if he was an "Old Man" on a horse. We never get to see any fighting happening, so I'm not 100% sure how it would have gone down, but I'm sure Glorfindel or Elrond couldn't do any better than Gandalf would have.

But there was no visible way that they could know of all those situations. Remember the Fellowships hope was in speed and secrecy.

It is possible that the great lords of Rivendell could have offered more knowledge to the advantage of the Company and the Quest, whilst at the same time delivering all the enhanced skills for combat and secrecy of movement and going unseen that great elves are renowned for. Certainly in Minas Tirith there would have been more morale if more than just one great lord came to their aid before the onslaught of Mordor.

Denethor, I recall, favoured Elrond to be the wisest of all the Loremasters in Middle Earth, according to Boromir. That is partly why Boromir was sent to Rivendell, to seek the counsel of Elrond. Though what good he could have done for Denethor but perhaps talking him out of taking his life is beyond me. I would think Denethor seeing Elrond as a strange elf lord would have been most alarming, given the history of this great sire, in particular in his role in the Last Battle against Sauron 3,000 years before. Surely his coming, as with the Sword of Elendil, would have rekindled hope and glory. Victory by arms could have been a dream again.

If the Witch King had one great lord to contend with, logic suggests he would have given the same mocking treatment as he did with Gandalf. If he was up against two lords, then he would almost certainly have reverted to plan B (retreat, then drive his armies into terror and to assault Minas Tirith for him).

Last edited by Mansun; 08-02-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You make some valid points that I never thought of, Mansun. However, the elves were beginning to fade away into the west and the dominance of Men was becoming visible, especially once Elessar ascended the throne of Gondor. Could it be that Elrond saw this war as a war for the future age of Men? I'm not saying that the elves would be completely dormant, but not taking an active role, as they have done before; instead men would be the dominant figures to decide their own fate. Sort of like winning their spurs.

Then again that's just me: full of crazy ideas!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Hi all,

see previous comments here-

What if Elves went instead of Merry and Pippin-http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2555

Cheers,

Rumil
Old 08-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Mansun

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
Hi all,

see previous comments here-

What if Elves went instead of Merry and Pippin-http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2555

Cheers,

Rumil
This thread takes things to another level to the one you have referenced, Rumil, as it asks what may have happened if the majority of the Company chosen were elf lords from Rivendell. Elrond is also Half Elven, not elven. This thread also seeks to look at what impact Elrond in particular could have had during the trek of the Nine Walkers.

Last edited by Mansun; 08-02-2008 at 04:30 PM.