The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Arda Cup Soccer 2008

Greetings fellow Downers!

I am in the process of preparing for next week's final exams, but as soon as I am in the clear we will get this thing rolling.

Just like last year there will be a separate thread on which you can own a fantasy team, only there will be a couple of wrinkles thrown in.

All 32 teams are from Arda. I will release the full rosters sometime next week. It was quite a job shuffling players around, and I'm not doing any more work on it. Hurin, for instance, could have played for Hithlum, Gondolin, Nargothrond, Doriath, Brethil, or Angband. A couple of players simply had to be relocated, though I always used some sort of logical approach in finding their new home. So, if a player isn't playing for the team you want them to play for, tough luck. It's already a done deal.

The tournament format will be the usual World Cup style- 8 groups of 4, play each other, top 2 from each group advance to single elimination playoffs.

I will have an individual or two helping me run the tournament, but for the rest of you, there are two options....

1) Watch
2) Participate!!

Guess which one I favor. Go on- guess.

Here are the ways in which you can participate...
1) Own a fantasy team!
2) Make predictions on matches!
3) Give your opinion on why teams are performing the way they are!

I strongly encourage people to pick out a few teams to be your favorites (or unfavorites) and cover the tournament in a biased way. For instance, pretend you are covering the tournament for a Minas Tirith newspaper and thus favor teams from that region and express extreme dislike for the Mordor team.

Write your posts in article format even if you'd like. Have some fun with it! Be funny and creative! You are Barrow-Downers! That sort of thing is second nature to you.

Anyway, I figured I'd give everyone early warning. The teams will be posted early next week, the rosters later in the week, and the groups will likely be posted at the end of the week.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

All right, here are the teams that will be featured in this year's tournament....

ALQUALONDE
AMON RHUD
ANGBAND
ANNUMINAS
ARMENELOS
BREELAND
BRETHIL
DORIATH
EDORAS
EREBOR
FORMENOS
FORNOST
GONDOLIN
GONDOR
HELM’S DEEP
HITHLUM
ISENGARD
LOTHLORIEN
MICHAEL DELVING
MINAS TIRITH
MIRKWOOD
MORDOR
MORIA
NARGOTHROND
OSGILIATH
RIVENDELL
ROMENA
TANIQUETIL
TOL-IN-GAURHOTH
TUNA
UMBAR
VALIMAR

Rosters and groupings will come later this week. We'll open up the fantasy league thread after that.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye Rosters!

Rosters are now here.

Last edited by the phantom; 05-21-2008 at 11:53 AM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Bad Pun Warning

That's a pretty Tar-studded roster Armenelos has.

How did Bilbo and Frodo get onto Team Alqualondë? Last I checked, there were still some pretty intensive nationalist concerns in Valinor preventing foreign players from getting visas. I mean, I know that things eased up in the Lonely Isle, but the government in Avallónë has always been a bit more mixed in its policies than Taniquetil. I guess Frodo really does have the ear of Elbereth!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
That's a pretty Tar-studded roster Armenelos has.
Ha ha ha!

Well, come on Formy, aren't you going to do a joke about the Fornost roster as well?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Ha ha ha!

Well, come on Formy, aren't you going to do a joke about the Fornost roster as well?
What? You mean about all the players being on the A-list? I would never do such a thing.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
TOL-IN-GAURHOTH
G- Drauglin
DF- To Be Decided
DF- To Be Decided
DF- To Be Decided
MF- To Be Decided
MF- Thuringwethil
MF- To Be Decided
MF- the phantom
FW- Nogrod
FW- To Be Decided
FW- Sauron
What in Arda?!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Lhuna pretends she's not in that team.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

As far as the Tol-In-Gaurhoth team, there are six open slots.

Two now, actually.

By virtue of being first to post on this thread and being renowned Werewolf players, Formendacil, Eomer, Anguirel, and Lhuna can all take a slot on the team- IF you want to, and you plan on being around and participating a bit during the tournament.

As far as the other two slots, those will be UP FOR VOTE!!

Anyone can pm me the name of one Barrow-Downs Werewolf player. That person will receive one vote, and you yourself will receive a vote just for voting (no you can't vote for yourself). The two Barrow-Downers with the most votes will be on the team, if they plan on following the tournament. If not, then the next highest vote total will receive the slot, etc...

Voting will close when I feel like it. But don't worry, you have at least a couple of days. Spread the word.