The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2008, 02:32 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe The Biggest Tolkien Fans - According To Google Trends

Google trends is quite an interesting thing. It reveals a lot about what people like to search for on Google - including Tolkien!

Which cities in the world do the most searches for Tolkien? Here's the top ten:

1. Warsaw, Poland

2. Santiago, Chile

3. Buenos Aires, Argentina

4. Milan, Italy

5. Brussels, Belgium

6. Madrid, Spain

7. Amsterdam, Netherlands

8. Chicago, IL, USA

9. Paris, France

10. Sydney, Australia

And in the UK?
1. Oxford, United Kingdom

2. Cambridge, United Kingdom

3. Leeds, United Kingdom

4. Birmingham, United Kingdom

5. Bletchley, United Kingdom

6. Nottingham, United Kingdom

7. Bristol, United Kingdom

8. Edinburgh, United Kingdom

9. Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

10. London, United Kingdom

Interestingly, the Welsh and Scots register more searches for "tolkien" than do the English.

Overall, Norwegians are the people most likely to search for "tolkien" on Google.

However, if you put "Lord of the rings" into the database, the top ten global searches list returns the following top ten:

1. Birmingham, United Kingdom

2. Sydney, Australia

3. Melbourne, Australia

4. Manchester, United Kingdom

5. Toronto, Canada

6. Amsterdam, Netherlands

7. London, United Kingdom

8. Brussels, Belgium

9. Chicago, IL, USA

10. Los Angeles, CA, USA

Which makes Brummies the biggest fans of Tolkien's greatest work!

If you fancy a go, you can set the parameters to search within your own country or region. Have fun!

http://www.google.co.uk/trends?q=lor...ate=all&sort=0
Old 01-25-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Interesting, Lal!
Just one comment about the international possibilities - "Tolkien" is the same in all languages, which is why it's likely to get searched for in so many countries. "Lord of the Rings" is English, and many readers in other areas of the world will not search for that, but for the translated equivalent in their own language.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Just one comment about the international possibilities - "Tolkien" is the same in all languages, which is why it's likely to get searched for in so many countries. "Lord of the Rings" is English, and many readers in other areas of the world will not search for that, but for the translated equivalent in their own language.
So that makes the folks from Amsterdam and Brussels the biggest Tolkien fans... or the most unfaithful to their nationality
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I am surprised that Neuenrade, Germany didn't make since I live there.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Very interesting, Lal! :)

Bah, I'm sure that Helsinki, Finland would make it to those top tens if this wasn't such a little city. You know, in order to be fair, the number of searches should be compared to the number of inhabitants...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Bah, I'm sure that Helsinki, Finland would make it to those top tens if this wasn't such a little city. You know, in order to be fair, the number of searches should be compared to the number of inhabitants...
I tried it with the name of the Finnish translation and Helsinki didn't even make it to the top ten of Finland.

But I think that must be because we already have all the Lotr related websites saved as bookmarks.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Actually, Lommy, bang in a few names and so on and see what comes up (not everything will). I just typed in "aragorn" and Finns are way, way ahead of every other nation on searching this name! Top cities are Tampere and Helsinki. Finland, a nation obsessed by Aragorn!

Amusingly, Tykes are very interested in Gollum and Aragorn too, as Sheffield figures in the top tens on these name searches. Poles and Finns are fond of Sauron. Spain loves Tom Bombadil. Aussies and Swedes love Orcsies.

Meanwhile people of Alexandria in the USA have a truly disturbing obsession with Bilbo Baggins, as do the people of Bucharest with good old Boromir. I can only guess that with such weirdly high figures there are local things sharing those names!

BTW I apologise for double posting. I got all over excited because of a statistics database....what a nerd...
Old 01-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
So that makes the folks from Amsterdam and Brussels the biggest Tolkien fans... or the most unfaithful to their nationality
Or extremely proficient anglophones. Unsurprisingly given that Dutch is so closely related to English, Netherlanders tend to speak English very well. Brussels is a very cosmopolitan because of the European organisations based there.
and I believe both countries were able to receive BBC broadcasts before technology made it more widely available. However the sad fact is for Tolkien's home country is that the English are notorious with regards to language learning and are unlikely to get better in the near future. On the continent it seems usual for anyone of university level education to have a working knowledge of at least one MFL...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 AM   #9
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Interesting, Lal!
I didn't think of that! It's interesting - what happens if say someone with their browser configured for the German language looks up Der Herr der Ringe (I think that's it? ) on Google? Does it only bring up German language pages or does it bring up all pages about Lord of the Rings?

Shame you cannot look up Barrow Downs on Google trends
Old 01-26-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I did google "Herr der Ringe" (yes, you got that right, Lal!) - no further configuration was necessary - and got Austria ranking just barely ahead of Germany, then Switzerland. The top ten cities were all in Germany: Wesel, Bochum, Giessen, Erfurt, Kiel, Koblenz, Aachen, Leipzig, Würzburg, Braunschweig. Interestingly, those aren't the cities with the highest population, as one might logically think. Another interesting thing showed up on the search time chart - there was a peak at the beginning of the chart in 2004 (right after the third movie came out) and a slight rise at the end of that year (DVDs sold), since then it's been a fairly low level.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

That might suggest where the most "ringers" live then!

The high figures around the time of the films just shows how big the hype machine was!

If you put in "lord of the rings" you notice it rises slightly when Children of Hurin was released too. And Canadians seemed very interested in both 'the hobbit" and in "christopher tolkien".

Quite sad, actually, when you type in the names of the stars of the films, as John Rhys Davies doesn't feature so his star has fallen quite a lot, but the other stars still feature. Sean Bean is predictably most popular globally in Sheffield!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:17 AM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Hmmm, that could mean that Karl Urban will be raising his statistics soon - he's billed to play Dr. McCoy in the new Star Trek movie!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
However, if you put "Lord of the rings" into the database, the top ten global searches list returns the following top ten:

1. Birmingham, United Kingdom

2. Sydney, Australia

3. Melbourne, Australia
What? My hometown beaten by... SYDNEY?! Our deadly enemy?
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Brum-tastic

Awroight, s bostin innit, owr Brum top o th' werld!

Great to hear my (adopted) home city is top of the list, now can you configure it to see if Villians or Bluenoses are most Tolkieny? (Somehow I doubt its the Baggies)

PS top searchers for 'Saucepan' are in Reading, UK ;-)

Last edited by Rumil; 01-25-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Rumil is offline   Reply With Quote