The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien Your Tolkien Spoils.

I bought The Children of Hurin two days ago and thought that I would like to know what other BDers had acquired that is Tolkien related. Such as the newest edition to my Tolkien collection (Which my books now outnumber my age) And if these new items had any significance to them...

Basically what I am trying to say is,

What are your Tolkien spoils and how did you acquire them?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My preciousssssssssssss

Although I am quite hoarder and a collector of Mathoms in other areas I wouldn't be particularly covetous of say a first edition set because essentially the book is the same - I am replacing my paperbacks as I can though simply because I wear them out too quickly. However although I was later able to buy the full recordings, I still have the cassette of the radio version music my mother, through great trouble managed to get for me when I was very young and which I played almost constantly until the dreadful day when the tape player chewed it up. I bodged repair and rather pathetically kept the section of tape that I had had to cut out of the player. I don't think I could ever bring myself to throw it away.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Silmarilllion and a few others in hardcover, and a few paperbacks like The Tolkien Reader, etc. But I miss two posters which I once had but got rid of when I left college. the first was the huge poster that was the basis for the cover of my first set of paperbacks:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...Lord_of_-3.jpg

The second was a poster that came from the inside of a magazine (not sure if it was Fangoria, Heavy Metal or something else.) I don't remember the artist either, but the picture was of Old Man Willow and between the branches were images of important scenes from The Fellowship of the Ring. There were (obviously) two more posters to come that I never acquired. I was in college and eating was more important than posters or magazines. That would have been around the year 1979. If anyone has any info on those, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, I don't have any "stuff" except the DVDs of P.J.'s movies and the books I mentioned. (by the way, The Silmarillion, and The Book of Lost Tales are both first editions. Doesn't mean much to me, but I know there are a few collectors here on The 'Downs.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I was very happy that my mom got me (I don't know how) a map of Middle-earth, Beleriand, Numenor, and Wilderland for Christmas, they are painted by John Howe and we are going to get them framed and put up on my wall! But I also received they Radio Adaptations for Christmas! (I think my friend helped my mom out on that one) She also got me the first six books in HomE!

What can I say? I'm spoiled...
Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
I have endless LotR stuff! I don't mean to brag, but I really have a room FULL of Tolkien stuff. I have a showroom china cabinet which houses most of my Tolkien collectibles such as 50+ action figures from the movies, Sideshow Weta statues (Pippin and Legolas), busts (Pippin and Gimli), Pippin's Gondor Helmet, A Gandalf model my father painted for me, the 12-inch Boromir, amongst others. Tons of warhammer little figures. Pewter figures. The Phial of Galadriel. Sword of Boromir, Sword of Theoden, and Sting. Collector's plates. Tons of posters. Of course all the books including Letters, etc., the theatrical and extended movies, the Bakshi movie, all the video games, a ton of cards, LotR on CD, LotR Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit...amongst other things!

Yes I am a collector!

Last edited by MatthewM; 07-29-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Bethberry is right...spoils is not the right word!
MatthewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

Latest acquisition is the Children of Hurin cd.
Mostly bought because Christopher Lee does
the bulk of the narration (with intro bits by CT).
Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
I have endless LotR stuff! I don't mean to brag, but I really have a room FULL of Tolkien stuff. I have a showroom china cabinet which houses most of my Tolkien collectibles such as 50+ action figures from the movies,
Have you got the Easterling? That's the one that has so far eluded me - I won't pay silly prices and it goes for daft sums on eBay that I can't justify. There are only a handful I haven't yet got that I want - Easterling, Coronation Eowyn, Minas Tirith Guard and the Ranger. I'm not that bothered about all the variants of Orcs (a few are as good as a dozen), but I had to get every variation on Bilbo of course

I'm onto Doctor Who figures now, I can't shake a habit, and I have the excuse of being in toy departments more often now there is the Enting.