The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
Imbefana
Pile O'Bones

Imbefana has just left Hobbiton.
The Great Darkness

My question I suppose is one of practicality for Melkor and Sauron. Suppose Sauron won the War of the Ring, recovered the One and brought the land into a second darkness. Assuming he had the power to block out all light of the Sun, Moon, and stars, how could his dominion live on? Light is essential at the very least for plant life (necessary for fuel, food, and building materials, not to mention ecosystems and food chains). I think I remember reading somewhere Sauron's hordes in Mordor were fed by distant lands (of men?) to the far east and south.

So, if he had complete dominion, would he give the necessary sunlight to certain lands so all his orcs would not die of starvation, or end up consuming each other?

I know light is a symbol of good, but is it somehow not necessary in Middle Earth for the survival of the forces of evil? Evil must first come from morphing the good.

This is most likely is a rather silly question, but I was just wondering how exactly it would work, seeing how Melkor accomplished an extremely powerful domain during the first Great Darkness.

Or perhaps I should think of it as unanswerable and accept it as part of Tolkien's universe?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
But it was no orc-chieftain or brigand that led the assault upon Gondor. The darkness was breaking too soon, before the date his Master had set for it
-The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
I think that indicates Sauron was using the darkness as a tool for the war. I don’t think he intended to shroud everything in Middle earth with perpetual physical darkness.

Remember that much of the landscape of Mordor that we see was determined by being next to an active volcano. That will have a detrimental impact on most anything.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Neithan
Wight

Neithan has just left Hobbiton.
I think that Gandalf was speaking metaphorically when he said that Sauron would "cover the land in a second darkness". Even so you bring up an interesting question, what did the Elves of Middle Earth eat before the coming of the sun and moon? Starlight is not generally enough for plants to grow. I seem to remember something about Yavanna puting the plants in some kind of stasis too, but I don't have time to look it up right now.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
Imbefana
Pile O'Bones

Wow, I wasn't expecting replies so quickly, and thanks for responding.

I guess it would be true that Gandalf (I remember him saying it in the movie, I'm not sure if it's in the book) meant only that Sauron would have control over all Middle Earth, not that dark clouds would cover all the lands. But the 'second' part does elude to the Great Darkness with Melkor after he destroyed the Trees and before the Moon and Sun were made. I suppose the way I interpreted it was Sauron, with the power of the Ring, would try and recreate what his master accomplished before: a true literal darkness over Middle Earth.

But if I'm wrong (which is probably more likely), then how did Melkor manage it?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Neithan
Wight

Neithan has just left Hobbiton.
Gandalf could be comparing the metaphorical darkness of Sauron's reign to the metephorical darkness of Morgoth's reign. However, it is not unlikely that Sauron would try to darken the world (probably with clouds) to make it more like his own lands and better for his servants.

Morgoth only had to tip over those lanterns to make Middle Earth dark. After that Valinor had light but ME did not. Eventually, with the help of Ungoliant, he destroyed the two trees and darkened Valinor. It was at this time that the sun and moon were created to light all the world. I doubt even Morgoth would be able to destroy the sun (in fact, didn't he try once?), let alone Sauron.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:52 AM   #6
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
sun (in fact, didn't he try once?),
Moon, actually.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
Imbefana
Pile O'Bones

Sorry about that historical mix-up. I don't have my Silmarillion or HoME handy. Thanks so much for your input.

Quote:
Even so you bring up an interesting question, what did the Elves of Middle Earth eat before the coming of the sun and moon? Starlight is not generally enough for plants to grow. I seem to remember something about Yavanna puting the plants in some kind of stasis too, but I don't have time to look it up right now.
Weren't the seven dwarves awakened before the Sun and Moon were created? It is an interesting question of how both races sustained themselves until then.

Do you mean Yavanna put plants into a stasis after the lamps were destroyed?