The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
cookieman
Pile O'Bones

cookieman has just left Hobbiton.
The Entwives

I wonder why Pippin and Mary didn't mention to Treebeard about the friend of Sam's who said he saw a tree walking around up in the shire?
cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
Larien Telemnar
Wight

Larien Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Larien Telemnar Send a message via MSN to Larien Telemnar Send a message via Yahoo to Larien Telemnar
Which chapter was that? Nevermind, I'm going to find it! *Runs off excitedly*

Pippin did say that the trees in the Old Forest were rumored to move (Chapter VI The old forest) and that they even attacked the hedge once, and that they would surround travelers at night. I suppose it slipped their minds.

We have to remember though that the trees in the Old Forest were very hostile towards people, and weren't trees that the Ent Wives would have liked to hang around, in my opinion. Is it another chapter you're talking about? If so I prolly missed it.

Last edited by Larien Telemnar; 06-04-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Larien Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
cookieman
Pile O'Bones

In The Fellowship of the Rings, very early in the book Sam is in a pub and he mentions that someone he knows claims to have seen a tree walking. I'll have to look it up for specifics.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Larien Telemnar
Wight

Larien Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Larien Telemnar Send a message via MSN to Larien Telemnar Send a message via Yahoo to Larien Telemnar
Okee thankee! I'll look for it, let's see who gets there first! I race you!
Old 06-04-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
cookieman
Pile O'Bones

I found it! It's in chapter two: The Shadow of the Past. About three pages into the chapter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"All right," said Sam,"But what about those Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back."

"Who's they?"

"My cousin Hal for one. He works for Mr. Boffin at Overhill and goes up to the Northfarthing for the hunting. He saw one."

"Says he did, perhaps. Your Hal's always saying he's seen things; and maybe he sees things that ain't there."

"But this one was as big as an elm tree, and walking - walking seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch."
Old 06-04-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
cookieman
Pile O'Bones

At one time The Old Forrest was connected to Fangorn forrest.

Three remain of the first Ents: Fangorn (Treebeard), Finglas (Leaflock), and Fladrif (Skinbark). There were more ents, though. I wonder how far spread out they were. What are your thoughts. Were there still ents scattered throughout the forrests of ME? I think so.