The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
merpcon
Newly Deceased

merpcon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Events 2010

Tolkien Moot VI (previously MerpCon) will be taking place in Spokane, Washington, 2010, July 30th through August 1st.

The event includes noted Tolkien scholars and authors as guest speakers, games placed in Tolkien's world, food and more. Details will be posted at http://www.tolkienmoot.org, but for information on previous years (when it was still called MerpCon), check the site http://www.merpcon.org. Watch for more details in coming months.
Feel free to email for more information: webmaster at tolkienmoot dot org.
merpcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Happy New Year! 2010 is here, and it's time to start planning for the upcoming events.

The German Tolkien Society's Seminar will take place in Jena, Germany in late April or early May. The topic is "Tolkien and Romanticism". I'll add the exact date when it's available.

The DTG's annual members' event, Tolkien Thing, is scheduled for July 15 - 18, 2010, in Bad Hersfeld, Germany.

The Tolkien Society's Oxonmoot will be held in late September in Oxford, England.

Ring*Con will be in Bonn, Germany from October 15 - 17.

Details and additions to follow.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
...not to forget the very first Tolkien event of the year - the Birthday Toast! Please stand and raise a glass of whatever you choose to drink at 9 pm this evening with the words "The Professor!"
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Too bad that Jena, Bonn and Bad Hersfeld are all a bit too far away from Karlsruhe for me to attend, although I have now discovered there is a local fans' gathering in Karlsruhe which I plan to attend from now on.

If anyone here happens to come from the Baden region, it would be nice to meet you there.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice site relating to The Festival in the Shire event this August - with some interesting stuff. http://festivalintheshire.com/journal/index.html Check out the Daphne Castell interview with Tolkien from 1966:
Quote:
He finds it surprising and pleasing that the “Lord of the Rings” has had such a success. It seems to him that nowadays almost any kind of fiction is mishandled, through not being sufficiently enjoyed. He thinks that there is now a tendency both to believe and teach in schools and colleges that “enjoyment” is an illiterate reaction; that if you are a serious reader, you should take the construction to pieces; find and analyse sources, dissect it into symbols, and debase it into allegory. Any idea of actually reading the book for fun is lost.

“It seems to me comparable to a man who having eaten anything, from a salad to a complete and well-planned dinner, uses an emetic, and sends the results for chemical analysis.”

Last edited by davem; 01-18-2010 at 05:24 PM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
That interview is splendid. The extra details of Beruthiel are especially fun, as is hearing of Tolkien's two favourite parts of LotR.

Perhaps my favourite quotation is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien
My heart is in my works, not on my sleeve.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
merpcon
Newly Deceased

merpcon has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merpcon View Post
Tolkien Moot VI (previously MerpCon) will be taking place in Spokane, Washington, 2010, July 30th through August 1st.

The event includes noted Tolkien scholars and authors as guest speakers, games placed in Tolkien's world, food and more. Details will be posted at [url] but for information on previous years (when it was still called MerpCon), check the site [url] Watch for more details in coming months.
Feel free to email for more information: webmaster at tolkienmoot dot org.

Actually a correction on the dates for Tolken Moot, it is taking place in Spokane Washington USA, August 13-15. Also this year the special guests are "Elven Singer" Rehtaeh, and she will be singing a new song from her upcoming 4th album (world premiere of this song), and published Tolkien author and essayist Michael Martinez will be speaking. There will also be another edition of "Raw Hobbit", youth Tolkien panel, and much more. Seats are neary full, so RSVP today. For those who can not make the event in person, it will once again be streamed live over multiple webcams, live audio sreaming, and interactive real time chat rooms for the Q&A sessions.
merpcon is offline   Reply With Quote