The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2024, 06:37 AM   #1
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Hello everyone, I still come here from time to time. And if I can contribute something I will try to do so.

As for my opinion on this matter, first of all, like Findegil, I think that creating a "coherent" chronology is something highly desirable. But, I also think that to do so, both in a general way and much more so if you want to highlight many events, it would be necessary to "invent" some dates. Because, as you say, trying to adjust Aam and ToY with the outlines of chronologies started by the Professor and published in NoME is a task, I think impossible, unless something is "invented" by "filling in" or "supposing."

In this case it would not be enough to just "adapt" (e.g. NoME XIII VY850--> Aam 1050, 854-->1054... birth of Ingwë 865--> 1065 and so on) because, independently of the equivalence of the VY with 9.8 or 144 SY, which would be another matter, Tolkien already leaves us a suggested interval of 4 or 15 years, etc, so it can be adapted.
The same would happen (another example that comes to mind) with the year of the entry of the houses of the Edain in Beleriand, in which he made notes in the text but not in the chronology, so this could be "adapted" with something suggested by Tolkien himself.
I think that has already been discussed here, the issue of the implausibility of, for example, the duration of the Noldor's journey from Aman or Maedros' stay hanging on Thangorodrin, which, lasting each VY 144 solar years (even if you push me 9.8) is not very plausible. And that is a major handicap in my humble opinion.

So it occurs to me that it should be left, for the purpose of these projects, just for edit text, ambiguosly as a matter of mixing traditions and indicative dates.

But this is my opinion and it is not an obstacle to the task of elaborating said chronology as a coherent timeline.

Greetings
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote