The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2024, 07:56 AM   #1
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have said it before and still stick to it: I am a combiner.
In my case that means, I view the legendarium a bit like the first Map to the Lord of the Rings: A 'picture' that Tolkien started at some time on a single sheet. Than he found that what he wanted to tell reached over the edges of that sheet and glude additional extensions to the first sheet. Later he found that he had got parts wrong and made corrections. Some slightly so that the original layer would just be altered to his new undertanding. Some more profoundly by glueing new paper onto the orginal sheet.

For questions like the one posted here, that means: as long as details from older texts are not altered or denied by a later text, I would assume they are valid as representing what Tolkien imagined. If you like you could exchange age of the texts in question by priority as defined in the rules of this project.

And I would argue that legendarium as we have it shows some hints that Tolkien saw it in a similar way: Once he had told a story in great detail he needed either some outer force (like the demand of his publisher e.g. rewritings of LotR) or some really great changes in the story to make him work it out completly (e.g. The later Tuor that pattered out when he reach the already very impressivly told Gondolin part, or the later Turin that concentrates on parts that where not covered by the Lay).

That said, I fear the incooperation of the describtion of Tol Eressea from the Eriol stuf of The Lost Tales is not an easy task under our rules. But if we can work it out it would be a worthy addition.

Resprctfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote