The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2024, 11:28 AM   #1
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
A Maia being undone by a hat isn't totally unprecedented, Ecthelion of the Fountain killed a Balrog in the fall of Gondolin with the spike of his helm.
Pedantry Alert

The Balrogs were not Maiar when JRRT wrote this.

That said, I'd agree that Tolkien, in the early 1950s, still meant for Ecthelion's helm to spike a Balrog, given that the helm is described in the updated (but all too soon put aside) Fall of Gondolin (Unfinished Tales). Ecthelion's helm is beautiful, but deadly, especially if one knows the early tale.

But were the Balrogs Maiar even when Tolkien wrote this FOG update?

We know that, despite the emergence of the idea that Melkor could not "make" Orks for example (but must corrupt something rather), in the Annals of Aman as first written Morgoth still "wrought" the Balrogs. In the Annals of Aman typescript (made by Tolkien himself) however, they are said to be spirits that followed Melkor.

Okay.

But here Christopher Tolkien can only guess at the dating of this typescript: he thinks it belongs with the writing of the Annals of Aman manuscript rather than to some later time, although in any case, it includes the idea I'll call the "Numenorean Transmission of Texts".

Anyway, even if what I've said is correct or close to correct (although I could be forgetting something here), one could argue that Tolkien intended Ecthelion to helmet-spike a Balrog even after Balrogs "became" (externally) Maiar.

I mean, why not?

So here's my pedantic and mostly meaningless post!

Last edited by Galin; 10-11-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote